Stamp of Greatness

Diamond Geezer

Gone But Not Forgotten
Desert Orchid will feature in the Royal Mail's special stamp programme this year, along with seven other yet-to-be-named racehorses. For more than 50 years the Royal Mail's stamp series has commemorated anniversaries and celebrated events relevant to British heritage and life, and in April 'racehorse legends' is the title of their programme.

Eight horses - four Flat and four jumps - from the past six decades will be honoured with an original-artwork stamp. Desert Orchid's portrays him en route to winning in the 1989 Cheltenham Gold Cup, while his career highlights also included four King George triumphs.

So who else do we think should feature ? I'll go

Kauto Star, Red Rum, Best Mate

Dancing Brave, Frankel, Dubai Milleniun, Sea The Stars

If it's six decades I would say:

Flat - Frankel, Shergar, Mill Reef, Nijinsky

Jumps - Kauto Star, Dessie, Red Rum, Arkle.

Would an Irish-trained horse be a qualifier? It might be the case that they're looking to restrict it to UK-trained horses, given it's the Royal Mail?

Assuming Arkle is ruled-out, Dessie and Red Rum self-select, and Kauto Star is probably a good thing for the third spot.....but I'm less convinced by Best Mate for the fourth one.

The Sprinter Sacre story is very compelling; in terms of both the level he reached, and the romance of his comeback, and it's better PR for racing than Best Mate's sad demise on the racecourse. Sacre is a justifiable selection on plenty of other measures anyway - I'd have him on the 4th stamp.

Or Hurricane Fly, and fu*ck the Royal Mail. :lol:

Last edited:
Don't see anything wrong with the choice of Best Mate myself. Hard to crab the achievement of winning 3 Gold Cups even if not the best in terms of what he beat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oooop's
Frankel, Brigadier Gerard, Sea Bird, Sea the Stars
Sprinter Sacre, Red Rum, Dessie, Arkle

Last edited:
My british legends, in order:
Flat: Frankel, Brigadier, Abernant, Mill Reef
Jumps: Bula, Sea Pigeon, Big Bucks, Desert Orchid

Flat
Frankel
Brigadier Gerard
Mill Reef
Dancing Brave for class, Persian Punch for legend

The inclusion of Shergar would be way too messy...

Jumps
Red Rum
Kauto Star
Sea Pigeon?

Frankel, Brigadier Gerard, Dancing Brave, Mill Reef

Arkle , Desert Orchid, Sprinter Sacre , Kauto Star

Arkle misses out by a week to qualify I assume.

Red Rum, Kauto Star, Sprinter Sacre, Desert Orchid

Frankel, Mill Reef, Brigadier Gerard, Yeats

Honorary mention to non qualifier Zenyatta for the biggest buzz

Last edited:
Jumps
Red Rum, Kauto Star, Sprinter Sacre, Desert Orchid

Flat
Montelado, Dato Star, Florida Pearl, Monsignor

Back