Stayers Hurdle 2018

Did mention it on the Hennessy thread I think but I've had a cheeky score on Yanworth at 20's for this I reckon he's one bad jump away from returning to hurdles and if he were to line up he'd be a fairly short price I reckon.

Hadn't realised that Aughex had also put up L'Ami Serge on the original post, for similar reasons to me. Fair shout.

Think the French CH may be L’Ami Serge target anyway. I’m sure Daryl Jacob said on ITV after the Ascot race that all roads lead to the French CH. All about Cheltenham for NJH though so that comment a bit surprising even if I’ve remembered right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going for the French CH wouldn't preclude a serious bash at Cheltenham. I wouldn't fear a hard race there. They don't come any harder than the County and in any case it's three months before Auteuil. That's the equiv of one of the big Nov/Dec Cheltenham meetings in relation to the Festival.

I don't have my figures immediately to hand but I think I have L'Ami Serge on something like 163. That would be in the same ball park as the likes of Cole harden at his best, which would make him deserving of serious consideration.

UNWIMH is 167-ish and might not win.

Thistlecrack might come back to hurdles, I suppose.

Nicholls Canyon is in the same ball park as Harry.

If I thought Arctic Fire had it as a serious target I could be tempted. That was some run in the County off 158. He's a high 160s animal in my book and I don't imagine they'd run him unless they were as confident as they could be about him staying.

Beer Goggles I now have on 163 and he's improving a good half a stone from race to race, plus I love his jumping fluency. At the moment I'm happy with the 25/1 I have about him.

Think the French CH may be L’Ami Serge target anyway. I’m sure Daryl Jacob said on ITV after the Ascot race that all roads lead to the French CH. All about Cheltenham for NJH though so that comment a bit surprising even if I’ve remembered right

See post #5 Viking, which says much the same as DO. French Champion is in late-May, and the horse could easily take in both races.

I've said all summer that Apples Jade should be going for this. Interesting that despite Gordon saying she's 100% for the Mares, he still entered her in the Long Walk.

I've said all summer that Apples Jade should be going for this. Interesting that despite Gordon saying she's 100% for the Mares, he still entered her in the Long Walk.

Don't think they Will, and hope they don't as I got a load of 11/4. She won't be that short again.

That said she'd win the stayers and is a certainty for 2019 JLT if they sent her chasing.

If I thought Arctic Fire had it as a serious target I could be tempted. That was some run in the County off 158. He's a high 160s animal in my book and I don't imagine they'd run him unless they were as confident as they could be about him staying.
They have tried the 3m route, the races aren't run fast enough to bring out the best attributes of this horse.

If Yanworth's jumping doesn't improve in the Dipper he may well turn up in this and after his Liverpool Hurdle win would surely be a contender .

Not a chance according to Alan King...he means to persevere with him and got angry apparently when someone suggested he should send him back over the smaller obstacles...same ownership as u know harry :)

Last edited:
Not a chance according to Alan King...he means to persevere with him and got angry apparently when someone suggested he should send him back over the smaller obstacles...same ownership as u know harry :)

True but UknowwhatImeanharry seems hardly bombproof this year and if Yanworth flops again King may have no choice but to do a Big Buck's.

Ive taken some 25s about Sam Spinner this morning. I'm massively hungover so I'm perhaps over rating him! :p

New kid on the block should be taken very seriously.

I backed L'ami Serge and he came came there cruising but when I glanced a look at Sam Spinner JC was also still on the steel and barely moving.

I never thought for one minute L'ami 1.57 in running would get past him. I though JC was always in control.

Jury mat still be out but another performance like that between now and then and y'all want to be backing him

A painful one, TheBear, but worth the exploration.

The real pisser is that Jacob didn’t do anything wrong, and gave the horse the best-possible chance of winning - he is just a complete and utter woofer. I can see something similar happening at Cheltenham i.e. travels like a dream, only to hound it when the chips are down. I can’t see how Jacob can do anythind different, and the result turns around.

C’est la guerre.

Last edited:
Got to send Apple's Jade here for me. They must be at least tempted.

I doubt if they are

Her foals as she stand now could be worth 2 to 5 times more if she continues her winning ways?

Up her in trip could see her form deteriorate big time and future interest deteriorate

A painful one, TheBear, but worth the exploration.

The real pisser is that Jacob didn’t do anything wrong, and gave the horse the best-possible chance of winning - he is just a complete and utter woofer. I can see something similar happening at Cheltenham i.e. travels like a dream, only to hound it when the chips are down. I can’t see how Jacob can do anythind different, and the result turns around.

C’est la guerre.

Some woofer!!!mate he's finished 8 lengths in front of a world hurdle winner and was beaten by a very good horse.IMO

Plus it's the fist time he's been tested on a stiff course at Championship pace over 3 miles and tbh I thought he never got home more than him dogging it

When he won in France nothing was near him and the horse he beat had not been in great form and he was beaten out of sight in this race last year.

Back