SunAlliance Chase

After the Gold Cup, how serious a challenge do people think Cooldine can put up to the big two next year assuming all goes well?

I'd be surprised if Kauto ever repeats a performance like that again especially in his 4th gold cup. However even below todays performance, he will be a worthy favourite

Coolmine has the same type of non stop galloping style that would make it a test of stamina and so all being well is the most likely challenger to him

Granted Denman may return better than ever

Let's just say he's in good company...

Code:
[b]170[/b]  Cooldine (2009)
     Looks Like Trouble (1999)
[b]167[/b]  Florida Pearl (1998)
[b]165[/b]  Denman (2007)
[b]162[/b]  Albertas Run (2008)
[b]161[/b]  Rule Supreme (2004)
     Brief Gale (1995)
[b]160[/b]  Trabolgan (2005)
[b]159[/b]  One Knight (2003)
     Hanakham (1997)
     Monsieur Le Cure (1994)
     Miinnehoma (1992)
[b]157[/b]  Nahthen Lad (1996)
[b]156[/b]  Hussard Collonges (2002)
[b]154[/b]  Lord Noelie (2000)
[b]153[/b]  Star de Mohaison (2006)
[b]150[/b]  Garrison Savannah (1990)
[b]145[/b]  Young Hustler (1993)
[b]143[/b]  Rolling Ball (1991)
[b]135[/b]  Envopak Token (1989)

Have to say, thats an astonishing rating.......are they suggesting Cooldine wouldn't even be within a stone of Nick Dundee if he had stood up :)

I've told a number of friends that Kauto has one more Gold Cup in him at most - Cooldine wasn't the horse I was thinking of when it came to taking away his Gold Cup's.

One thing that Diney has in his favour is the relative lack of strength in the Irish 3m+ chasers, he should have a few easy races pre-Cheltenham

You may be right, but the race seemed to take very little out of KS today - he was just as perky and relaxed coming back in as he was going out! He seemed to do it effortlessly this time, and I was standing by the final fence as he came over. I would certainly not back against him doing it next year, though 2011 aged 11 is possibly a GC too far! - much as I'd love to see him break the 3-win record

Copy/paste job

Ruby Walsh believes Cooldine has to markedly improve to trouble Kauto Star in next year's totesport Cheltenham Gold Cup.
The Willie Mullins-trained gelding showed himself to be the best of the staying novice brigade with a 16-length victory in the RSA Chase at last week's Festival.
Walsh said: "We think he is a horse with a big future but, on official ratings, he is on 161 and Kauto is still on 184. On the book, Cooldine will have to improve to figure next year."
He added: "You can only judge a horse on what he is beating and Cooldine couldn't have been more impressive. When he beat Forpadydeplasterer in the Moriarty at Leopardstown they might have looked to have been going slow, but it is a much stiffer track than a lot of people think it is.
"There is a serious pull from the third-last, which is probably why they always look to be going slower than they are," he told At The Races.

Sure every novice has to improve in their second season...thats a given. Like I said before, if both Cooldine and Denman (or even Neptune) turn up at Leopardstown at Christmas it will be interesting to see who he rides.

Slightly off topic, but is this the first season in a while Paul Nicholls has now star novice to go all age hurdling or chasing next year? I cannot think of one other than the second in the 3 mile novice hurdle and Tatenen.

Slightly off topic, but is this the first season in a while Paul Nicholls has now star novice to go all age hurdling or chasing next year? I cannot think of one other than the second in the 3 mile novice hurdle and Tatenen.

I'd guess that his handicap winners will make nice types next season.

Chapoturgeon in the Jewsons and looking at way American Trilogy won the county they obviously aren't too worried about its handicap mark for next season

I dont think Cooldine has to improve so much, in fact I had him in 170+ , the best novice I have rated and Kauto did a 180 on Friday.

If I were Mullins I would put Townend on him since now.

BTW well done Gal in your unswerving support for Cooldine in the run up to this years renewal. It helped to harden my own resolve to back him and that one bet made the difference for me on the Wednesday... much appreciated.

Last edited:
I presume that's assuming Ruby will stick with Kauto Star, sunybay?

Ruby will be on Kauto , even if thinking Cooldine or Denman has a chance, he has won 2 Gold Cups on him and the million bonus and the horse is owned by the same owner of Master Minded.

Also think Ruby is not riding very well this season and Townend is the new Paul Carberry.

I thought Mattie Batchelor rather lost his head on Carruthers on the day but watching it again Cooldine was never that far behind him .

I was very impressed but I don't see Ruby getting off KS for him anytime soon.

Back