SunAlliance Chase

For someone not riding well he didn't do badly last week .

American Trilogy
Cooldine
Master Minded
Mikael DHauguent
Quevega
Big Bucks
Kauto Star

to put things in perspective
I think all the horses would have won with Nina Carberry, A Thorton or Daryl Jacobs on.

Well done, Galileo, glad to hear you backed Cooldine as well as flagged him. Like most other people I was very impressed.

I would be cautious about the very high RPR, however. When a horse is a wide margin winner ratings people often take the form too literally and give too high a mark. Unless the speed figure is more or less in line with the form rating, I think it's dangerous to accept the latter at face value.

The race was spectacular to watch because they went such a pace and there was no doubting the superiority of Cooldine, who travelled and jumped well. But all bar he ran out of stamina, which will have exaggerated the winning margin, and I suspect even he slowed quite a bit in the final stages.

That said, his jumping held up very well throughout the race and if he'd been challenged he might well have found more in the closing stages.

I backed the winner to the exclusion of all else in the race, but I'd be surprised if he really did run to 170. My gut feeling was closer to 160. Nevertheless he's shaping into a good animal.

I'd doubt he would be good enough to win the next Gold Cup, but as Gareth points out he's in some half decent company.

Back