Sussex Stakes

The opposition last year was an excellent Dawn Approach who got a first move on him and DOW who finished 3 lengths behind. NOT is not Dawn Approach and he wasn't at his best at Newbury.
Kingman is an delicate horse and good to firm and an undulating track is not what he needs no matter how talented he is.
I think is going to be closer that most people think and hopefully Darwin will ensure a nice pace for WC who seems to need a strong mile.

Dawn Approach was badly ridden, jockey went too hard.

Echoes of Frankel vs Canford Cliffs.

I wasn't sure about Kingman but after Ascot I think he'll murder Toronado. Doyle knows what he's got now and how to use it.

He still wouldn't get near Frankel though.

I'm not convinced AOB's Highland Reel is anything special or that he should be 10/11 in what looks like a decent renewal. He won by 12 lengths on the 2nd run of his career but Joseph O'Brien never rode him like he was special. He hit the front and rode him out as hard as he could and I don't think he realised that nothing had gone with him.

It certainly wasn't a good race the 2nd had already finished well behind him in his first run and although the 3rd won nect time he beat very little. O'Brien's talking horse finished 2nd but he only finished a head infront of the 2rd who is very ordinary.

He looks very beatable to me. Ahlan Emarati has run some solid races but looks exposed.
I really like Richard Hannon's horse Tupi. He looked very green at Sandown and although Hughsie hit him a crack or two to get him to pay attention he was far from hard on him and he won much easier that it may have looked. Comes as no surprise Richard Hannon has chosen him to go for this or that Hughsie rides.

No doubt he'll have come on from that and at 6/1 and EW bet looks a great bet to me. Should get 7.5 and 2.4 easily enough on the machine.

Tupi 6/1 EW

I've never backed Kingman before<<<<<<embarrassed

Anyway I reckon Toronado wouldn't be 1/2 as good as Canford Cliffs . He's tough and he did run Dawn Approach to a short head but Kingman looks a fair bit better than he was.

I'll be shocked if he can fend of Kingman's finishing kick.

To make up for lost revenue I have kept back a bit for Tupi and stuck my entire bf bank on Kingman so it's in for a penny in for a pound. :0)

Both lose I'll just have to go back to working for a living :D

G/l all

Last edited:
I've never backed Kingman before<<<<<<embarrassed

Anyway I reckon Toronado wouldn't be 1/2 as good as Canford Cliffs . He's tough and he did run Dawn Approach to a short head but Kingman looks a fair bit better than he was.

I'll be shocked if he can fend of Kingman's finishing kick.

To make up for lost revenue I have kept back a bit for Tupi and stuck my entire bf bank on Kingman so it's in for a penny in for a pound. :0)

Your a braver man than me at the odds on offer and I'll keep my fingers crossed and be cheering him on for you. Kingman certainly looks the best, not convinced he's 3x as good as such a good, solid grp1 miler as Toronado as the current price indicates, I suspect Toronado may be a better miler than Night Of Thunder; I've certainly seen bigger shocks.

sounds like hannon/hughes didn't learn from ascot. they won't unsettle this horse with a slow pace so surely makes more sense to test his stamina?

Bet your heart missed a beat for a sec a furlong out Tanlic. Great race for swing trading on Toronado. Kingman really does possess a great tactical turn of foot.

about the race
impressive turn of foot

Kingman is a top class sprinter
and is not being beaten despite Doyles rides

bad ride on Toronado

just watched the recording..its 10.23 for penultimate furlong isn't it?

in the channel 4 showed 10.40s.... slower than Toronados one
he was behind or level to Toronado at the furlong pole and finishes in front
so the sectional for the last should be faster than Toronados

in the channel 4 showed 10.40s.... slower than Toronados one
he was behind or level to Toronado at the furlong pole and finishes in front
so the sectional for the last should be faster than Toronados

i'll have to look again at C4..seems a bit odd because T would have been coming back at him if he were going slower than T in last furlong

RUK reporting that Kingman's fastest furlong was the 2 to the 1 and Toronado ran the slowest final furlong of all the 4 runners, probably still not 100% fit. Toronado may well put up an improved run in the QEII.

sounds like hannon/hughes didn't learn from ascot. they won't unsettle this horse with a slow pace so surely makes more sense to test his stamina?

There must be something wrong with me I never thought for one second he was going to lose.

My thoughts at half way were "What on earth is Hughsie playing at? I'm loving this" Toronado takes time to get into top gear as we saw in the Queen Anne Stakes.

If Hughsie wanted to get beat he certainly used the right tactics. Not a bad ride just really stupid tactics to try against a horse who his trainer thinks could win win a Group 1 sprint.

There was that couple of seconds to get composed but when I saw Toronado couldn't get away from Darwin I thought this is all over.

I was more excited when I saw Hughsie tracking Joseph looking confident on Tupi......I thought he was going to pick up and fly past until Joseph made me feel like an idiot...............Having said I had doubts about Highland Reel may not be that good.......Things a beast and it brought me back down to earth with a bang

Cant open your link Gareth but RUK shows the last furlong to be 9.97secs but I assume thats because Kingman overtook Toronado in the last furlong.

They're making it easy for Kingman.

Last edited:
if you add up the on screen sectionals of complete races they don't add up to the correct final times, the turftrax sectionals do. The 9.9 was quoted on will hill radio buts its wrong.

i think saying what Kingman did was easy is under playing his ability a bit...what he did is special..to find that acceleration is amazing in a miler. If you say ..well the race wasn't a true test..then its like saying a sprinter could have won a race like that..but they wouldn't because even going that slowly at a mile would ebb their speed away.

Last edited:
If Hughsie wanted to get beat he certainly used the right tactics. Not a bad ride just really stupid tactics to try against a horse who his trainer thinks could win win a Group 1 sprint.

If AP O'Brien suggested this there'd be consternation on here. Then again, Gosden is a good egg.

And there is stronger evidence in the case of Kingman.

Dick Hern always said Brigadier Gerard could win a Nunthorpe (not necessarily the Nunthorpe of his 3 or 4yo seasons). But we know that he used to gallop the Brigadier with one top sprinter then have another join in for the second half of the gallop and they still couldn't get him off the bit.

If only we had sectionals back then...

Last edited:
Back