TH Winter Competitions

Diamond Geezer

Gone But Not Forgotten
Nearly time for the forum competitions for the Winter and I seek anyone able to donate prizes towards the Ten To Follow and Ante Post competitions.

NewHorizon has said she will run the Ante Post competition again and I have the TTF competition ready.

The TTF will start on a date still to be decided but will be either October 10th/11th (Big Chepstow meeting heralding start of NH racing proper this side of the water) or 23rd/24th (First meeting at Cheltenham) or October 31st (Charlie Hall & JN Wines day) and the Ante Post will start on November 1st regardless. I would like to give everyone at leat two weeks notice of the list so if we're going with the former date I will roll out the list this weekend.

Grey has very kindly agreed to donate £100 as the prize for the Winter Competition which is for the best combined performance in the TTF and AP competitions using a formula devised by himself and which has been used in previous seasons.

Apart from sponsorship for the TTF and the AP , does anyone have any views on when they would like the TTF to start and do they want the option of a Dark Horse in their team of ten or are they happy to just choose ten horses from the list bearing in mind I have increased the list of horses to 250 this year and each player will be allowed to enter up to three teams. As an aside, as well as posting the list of horses on the thread with this year's rules, I'm also giving every player a chance to email me at a special email address I have set up requesting the list be sent to them in Excel format including a link to the profile of each horse on ATR. Might make picking their teams easier (or harder!)

In case we do not find sponsors from within the forum I have been discussing with Col the option of players paying a small entry fee for each team in the TTF, say 50p or £1 so a maximum of £1.50 or £3 per player if they nominate three teams. Col thinks it would be possible to insert a pay button within the thread similar to the donate button for the Forum running costs. Last year we had 57 entrants with one team per player, this year we may drop a few with the demise of FF but also pick up more from new members from on here. Say we had 60/70 players paying £3 for three teams that would raise roughly £200 which would cover the £100 prizes for the TTF and the AP.

Thoughts and preferences on any of these ideas please.

<!--END MERCHANT:merchant name BT Broadband from affiliatewindow.com-->

Last edited by a moderator:
No Preference to start date. Happy to contribute an entrance fee if required.

Will be my 1st time joining in a competition and hope I am welcome.

Thanks Diamond, New Horizon, Grey and Grass for the prizes and admin.

Hope you get a good response from everyone

I like the Dark Horse feature in the Ten To Follow, DG, it adds a twist.

Regarding an entrance fee, I think it's no harm if it built up to a worthwhile prize. I've no idea, however, how many people already have PayPal accounts.

No problem with an entrance fee; agree a dark horse is a good idea; any start date suits me. And a big thanks to DG, New Approach, and our generous sponsors.

Can only echo previous comments in thanking the members who'll be organizing and running these, plus the generous contributions re sponsorship. It's all very much appreciated.

and yes, I'm more than happy with entrance fees but I'm in faraway shores for pretty much the whole of October DG - we're back on the 31st Oct which just by chance happens to be the start of the Breeders cup;) - so if the list goes up soon I can put my intentions forward before I go.

Thanks for doing this again, DG, and also to New Approach, Grey and Grassy for their contributions. I'm quite happy with an entrance fee although I suspect that it will reduce the number of players.

I'd start the TTF asap to give the autumn/spring horses a fair crack presuming it will run to the end of Punchestown. Without seeing the list of horses, it's hard to comment about the dark horse option other than to say it's been fun when there was a more limited choice. Maybe it could be an optional extra, ie you pick 10 horses of which at least​ 9 must be from the list.

A few more questions

Is there a trophy out somewhere, donated by Tout Seul possibly, which of the competitions was it for and who is the current holder ?

If we don't find a sponsor for the TTF, we will have to raise prize money via an entry fee for each team, Is there anyone on the forum who would like to take part in the TTF who doesn't have a paypal account ?

We could of course just do it "for fun" but it would lose its edge I think it's fair to say.

attachment.php

Tout Seul donated the trophy, it's for the winner of the Ante Post competition. The roll of honour so far is Tout Seul, Grasshopper, Steve T and TrudiJ, who currently has possession of it

Attachments

• Ante Post Comp Trophy.jpg
    Ante Post Comp Trophy.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 63
I doubt Apache Stronghold's price for the Ryanair at 365 will still be available by the time entries open #sad

attachment.php

Tout Seul donated the trophy, it's for the winner of the Ante Post competition. The roll of honour so far is Tout Seul, Grasshopper, Steve T and TrudiJ, who currently has possession of it

Great to see that Laurence's original trophy is still the prize for the Ante-Post competition. I thought this had gone MIA during Steve T's house-moves, and that we were instead playing for the rather substandard, plastic replacement I bought off a local junkie via Gumtree, for the price of a half-baggie of dirty-broon.

A few more questions

Is there a trophy out somewhere, donated by Tout Seul possibly, which of the competitions was it for and who is the current holder ?

If we don't find a sponsor for the TTF, we will have to raise prize money via an entry fee for each team, Is there anyone on the forum who would like to take part in the TTF who doesn't have a paypal account ?

We could of course just do it "for fun" but it would lose its edge I think it's fair to say.
I don't but I could probably arrange for someone here to pay it on my behalf and then fleece me for drinks at the Paddy Power meeting!

I wouldn't mind playing but don't have a PayPal account either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm happy and able to pay an entry fee.

Thanks to those running and sponsoring. Should be good.

Looking forward to playing
The wife's got a PayPal account so I'm ok on that score.

Do you people not use ebay!
FWIW I believe you don't need a paypal account to pay using paypal, I'll look into it cos it maybe only business accounts that allow that.

actually, could someone who doesn't have a paypal account click the donate button at the top of the page, select an amount (doesn't matter how much as you won't get that far) then when you are directed to the next page see if you have the option to pay by card rather than a paypal account?

I believe it used to say pay by card (optional) sign up for a paypal account to make checkout easier next time or similar

Back