The 2000 Guineas (and beyond)

Spectacular! Looks like it was indeed the Dip that did for him . Makfi will have to uphis game to hold him off at Ascot .

:lol:

its really annoying as a speed figure maker..had him as a 130+ horse last year...looks like he is..but i just couldn't see it at a mile

nice joshing about it anyway - hope you won a packet Steve:cool:

I'm just clearing the car out to go for my winnings... there's only so much you can wedge into a Volvo Estate though.

Did that well, certainly no doubts about stamina for a mile now and didn't look to be stopping either. Glad to see Viscount Nelson run better than at Newmarket and not a bad run from Steinbeck either for first time out this season. Makes the St James' Palace a very interesting race now. What chance that all three Guineas winners would turn up?

I would be tempted to rate that through xtension who ran a solid enough race . Makfi however does have a lot of potential and raceswithin himself so Ascit should be a thriller .

Very interesting result. With the second a 25/1 shot on his 10th run and the third a 20/1 shot on his 8th run, you might be hard pressed to justify a bare rating for the winner that involves them suddenly improving their OR by a significant amount.

For example, based on the ORs of the 4th, 5th, 7th and 9th you could justify a bare rating around 126. But that would involve the 2nd and 3rd improving by around 10lbs each.

Through the 6th and 8th, you'd get around 121, which would have the 2nd and 3rd improving by around 5lbs each.

The most conservative view would probably be that CC has simply run to a bare rating of 118 (his current OR), but with plenty in hand.

Xtension - 2¾ lengths 4th at Newmarket - and Fencing Master - 4 lengths 7th at Newmarket - were respectively beaten 5.1 lengths into 5th and well held there.

Not sure that did anything like as much for the form of the Newmarket race overall as it did for one specific horse who came out of that race.

Steve kept the Volvo but had to sell the Aston Martin after Sea the Stars kept beating Fame and Glory ! After Shamardal however never doubt his judgment of milers !!!

Very interesting result. With the second a 25/1 shot on his 10th run and the third a 20/1 shot on his 8th run, you might be hard pressed to justify a bare rating for the winner that involves them suddenly improving their OR by a significant amount.

For example, based on the ORs of the 4th, 5th, 7th and 9th you could justify a bare rating around 126. But that would involve the 2nd and 3rd improving by around 10lbs each.

Through the 6th and 8th, you'd get around 121, which would have the 2nd and 3rd improving by around 5lbs each.

The most conservative view would probably be that CC has simply run to a bare rating of 118 (his current OR), but with plenty in hand.

visually it looked a bit better than 118..timefigure should help a little in this situation.

would it be hard to imagine the 2nd +3rd improving by 10?

Gotcha, green on debut and in the Dewhurst, needed the run at Newmarket and lame here. My apologies to Fencing Master.

visually it looked a bit better than 118..timefigure should help a little in this situation.

Yes, that's why I specified that I was talking about the bare rating. Visually he won with plenty in hand and you can add whatever you like on top of any bare rating you give him (or just a huge + sign).

would it be hard to imagine the 2nd +3rd improving by 10?

They're hardly unexposed types. It was Free Judgement's first run on fast ground, but he'd hardly improved massively for Good ground in the past. Indeed, you'd say 7f with cut was perfect for him before today.

They went a right gallop today and maybe those that chased it got tired.

Canford Cliffs did it really nicely while Steinbeck and Free Judgment came from further back. I think Xtension maybe made his move too soon.

Shame we didn't have any French runners in there today, given that they've won all the other Guineas races.

Back