The 2000 Guineas (and beyond)

I don't buy into the idea of a strongly-run mile race being the equivalent of a 10f one.

I think the more strongly run the race the more likely the class horse at the trip will prevail.

Where I might accept the idea of stamina being more important is on unusually soft ground. If, say, they average 12.5s per furlong on good ground, then it takes an extra 25s to cover two more furlongs to make it the equivalent of a 10f race. That would take virtually unraceable ground.

I tend to find Steve quite convincing when he goes out on a limb about stamina aptitudes and even though my own eyes tell me CC will be stretched over a true-run mile, I'm leaning towards him.

Having said all that, I'm very unlikely to have a bet in the race.

As an aside, people will remember that I backed Three Valleys for the UK triple crown when the horse was still a 2yo, based on his dosage. I remember being roundly ridiculed for that and the consensus was that he was an out-and-out sprinter despite his dosage. As a 3yo he only raced twice here, being beaten by the eventual Guineas winner in the Craven before disappointing badly in the classic itself. He was sent to the USA and went on to be a high class 8-9f horse. Steve had doubted his stamina in spite of his dosage figures but he doesn't seem to doubt CC's. That's what I find interesting.

Last edited:
I don't buy into the idea of a strongly-run mile race being the equivalent of a 10f one.

not equivalent..but demanding more stamina than speed..F&G wouldn't win an even/steady paced 10f race..but he can win a 10f race with a breakneck pace that places more premium on stamina..which he has plenty.

i haven't really seen any evidence to show that CC can stay 8f..all I've seen is Steve say it can...have i missed something?

I don't believe in "class" horses..no such animal imo..just those that can run faster for longer

the more i look at the race i feel the need to cover my bet on Noll by backing Fencing Master..he's AOB's no 1 here for sure.

Last edited:
I don't believe in "class" horses..no such animal imo..just those that can run faster for longer
It's maybe a question of definition and/or perception, then. In a good G1, I'd expect there to be a few 'class' horses.

I'm not seeing a compelling reason for Fencing Master, yet I agree he is looking like Ballydoyle's most likely. That draws me very much towards coupling Canford Cliffs and Xtension at 6/4ish. Unlike SteveM, I don't see Canford Cliffs as a leger horse, but I'll bias the coupling towards him over a mile on the basis that if he's ridden to beat xtension he'll do that job.

Having taken a step back to give the race further consideration, I'm more convinced now that not having a bet is the answer.

If Canford Cliffs is in theory the most likely winner yet he couldn't get past 120 at Newmarket, it might not be a great race. I'm not convinced he can do substantially better here, therefore there has to be a chance that something less prominent in the market will come out and hit a mark between 120 and 125 but I'm donalducked if I can find it.

Must be clearer opportunities elsewhere today...

Would prefer to back Dynasty (and have done) than Fencing Master given their respective prices, the formers excellent run at Newmarket last year (3rd in his group to Alfred Nobel and Society Rock) and the way he finished in the Tetrach indicated a step up in trip would help him. Also likely to improve massively for his seasonal debut if the rest of the O'Brien horses are anything to go by.

Having taken a step back to give the race further consideration, I'm more convinced now that not having a bet is the answer.

If Canford Cliffs is in theory the most likely winner yet he couldn't get past 120 at Newmarket, it might not be a great race. I'm not convinced he can do substantially better here, therefore there has to be a chance that something less prominent in the market will come out and hit a mark between 120 and 125 but I'm donalducked if I can find it.

Must be clearer opportunities elsewhere today...

CC will fly by 120 when at correct trip ;)

the more i look at it i'm convinced the race is being tailored by AOB for Fencing Master..will have main bet on FM and cover on Noll now i think

so thats 1.50 FM..and 60p Noll :p

I'm not seeing a compelling reason for Fencing Master, yet I agree he is looking like Ballydoyle's most likely.

I just keep thinking of the pictures of him that we saw from AOB's open day. He looked enormous that day at it was obvious that he'd come on a lot for a run.

Biggish place lay Canford at 1.65 ,nice bet on Dynasty win and place at 40,small bet on Viscout Nelson at 38.
If Canford gets placed its a deckchair for the rest of the day.

The question now is whether he can go further?

That was a cracking performance. What a season Hannon is having

Very impressive. Looking back at our 2000 Hughes probably left him with too much to do - not really his fault as the race suited the pace horses given how it was run. Xtension is probably a good marker for the form. Fencing Master needs further.

Back