The 2000 Guineas (and beyond)

Beaten fair and square in the 2000 off the back of a very similar prep...

Apart from not pulling he ran a similar race in Ireland to that he ran at Newmarket. He just had two better colts in front of him.

Allez la France for me boys.....

DT should definitely go for this, he's finished infront of CC on both occasions they've met this season. I'd rather back him EW at 8s than anything else in the race.

Apart from not pulling he ran a similar race in Ireland to that he ran at Newmarket. He just had two better colts in front of him.

Why then was he so much further in front of Xtension then in Ireland ?

CC clearly showed significantly better form in Ireland - whether that means he will beat a horse as unexposed as Makfi however is another matter.

Why then was he so much further in front of Xtension then in Ireland ?

CC clearly showed significantly better form in Ireland - whether that means he will beat a horse as unexposed as Makfi however is another matter.

My figures say it was a combination of CC improving a little and Xtension not quite running up to his Newmarket form. I think the Irish race was a little weaker.

My figures say CC's improvement in Ireland would put him close to but not necessarily in front of Makfi. Whichever has come on more will win but I see no reason why that shouldn't be Makfi.

I'd be astounded if Makfi finishes in front of Canford in this. If CC has a threat it could come from the other French Colt or from Steinbeck, otherwise he's home and hosed. Makfi is very poor value for me, I reckon he may finish unplaced.

My figures say CC's improvement in Ireland would put him close to but not necessarily in front of Makfi. Whichever has come on more will win but I see no reason why that shouldn't be Makfi.

I have to respect your judgement, but I cannot see that Makfi has a prayer against Canford and is vulnerable to at least a couple of others in this.

Makfi has shown better form than Canford Cliffs and also Makfi ahs more scope.

I cannot agree with any part of this. I simply don't see Makfi as being good enough now that the others are coming on bundles after a sorry start to the season.

The one that had a sorry start to the season was Steinbeck, and he may be the one to make most improvement. I was on him ante-post for Newmarket, remember.

However, there is nothing to say either CC or DT had a sorry start to the season. It's been discussed at length elsewhere that both put up top class times in the Greenham before running big races at Newmarket, in Ireland and in France. Makfi came to HQ on the back of a smooth win in a G3 prep and has plenty of time to get over his Guineas win. He could well be fresher than either CC or DT.

The one that had a sorry start to the season was Steinbeck, and he may be the one to make most improvement.

This is my point about Steinbeck (and particularly other Ballydoyle inmates). Canford has also come on bundles post Newbury/Newmarket and should run a blinder at Ascot. I wouldn't necessarily say the same about DT, who (like Makfi) was always further forward than CC earlier in the season. I think they have done the right thing with DT in setting him an achievable target at Ascot (i.e. the Jersey).

Last edited:
If CC improved 5lbs from Newbury to Newmarket, then 3lbs from Newmarket to Ireland, it's hard to see him finding any more thana pound next time. Makfi improved something like 8lbs from the Djebel to Newmarket and is already at least on a par with CC. If he finds another 4 or 5lbs there will be clear daylight between them.

Whats more there is alot of assumption from SteveM that Makfi was trained to the minute etc for Newmarket. Unless the trainer has stated this well then it is just guess work.

Whats more there is alot of assumption from SteveM that Makfi was trained to the minute etc for Newmarket. Unless the trainer has stated this well then it is just guess work.

I can only go on what I see. What I saw at Newmarket suggests to me there is more to come from from all of those in behind the winner than the winner himself (who was already there). [I don't need a trainer to tell me this.] Then there are those that didn't run at Newmarket to consider.

I'm anticipating something like:

1) Canford Cliffs
2) Siyouni (who I expect to come on significantly)

Steinbeck is the possible fly in the ointment, but I'd agree it's quite difficult to be sure about him.

As I've said I can't see much improvement in Makfi and will not be surprised if he's unplaced.

Last edited:
Final declarations -

Beethoven
Canford Cliffs
Dick Turpin
Encompassing
Hearts Of Fire
Makfi
Noble Promise
Siyouni
Steinbeck

DO does not that depend on an assessment that Xtension must have run below form in Ireland ? The pace of the Irish race was very different to the Newmarket affair.

I see Encompassing is in the field again but judging by how he ran at the Curragh he is no " At First Sight" and could be ignored .

For CC the worst case scenario could be Dick Turpin setting a sedate pace and CC pulling again.

If they go a good pace I think CC has a very good chance of tuning Makfi over .

Back