The 2000 Guineas (and beyond)

He's not my fancy for the race but 50/1 for Beethoven is enormous - is he carrying an extra stone in condition or is there something I haven't seen?

How do people see this going from a pace angle? Does Steinbeck need a flat out mile, or will the likes of Encompassing run more or less on its own merits? I would imagine he'll set a steady pace, with Steinbeck (& Beethoven possibly) relatively close up, with Dick Turpin, Siyouni handy, and Canford Cliffs and Makfi dropped out a little. I could see this race getting a little messy coming from behind as there will be enough decent horses up front that even the slightest bit of interference in a short straight will mean near certain defeat. With that in mind, I'm tempted to lay the front 2 in the market.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I've just had a little on at 90 on Betfair. Unless he has lost a leg there is at least some value in that.

Watching the 2000 guineas replay, Makfi is in the same possition of Canford 3out and looks a better horse and a better turn of foot than Hannons horse, I dont see any reason for Canford reversing the places.

I suppose the only argument (that I can see) might be that Canford Cliffs had been quite free during the opening stages? I'm not entirely convinced by the Irish Guineas either mind; he had the race run to suit him to a tee that day and the second home doesn't exactly fill me with confidence regarding the form.

Watching the Irish Guineas back again, I certainly don't expect Murtagh to allow Canford Cliffs to get first run on Steinbeck like he did at the Curragh. I wouldn't be surprised if he tucked in just behind the pacemaker.

I've spent a little while going back through the french form, and have realised I was quite harsh about Siyouni. Has beaten Lope de Vega twice, Dick T and the time he finished behind both was a non event where the jockey (wisely) gave up when he got blocked, for all that it wasn't his finest moment.

He was clearly impressive in the Jean-Luc Lagadere, and I think he would have won further with a stronger pace.

I am against Canford Cliffs at the prices, and am not 100% convinced by Makfi. I think Dick Turpin could beat CC (again) and the Ballydoyle horses will go well, but think Siyouni could potentially improve past them all.

Canford Cliffs wins well enough after not the best of passages...thought Dick Turpin had it for a minute. The Guineas winner was very disappointing.

I would never have believed that Dick Turpin would turn out to be a better horse than Steinbeck thats for sure. Dick Turpin deserves a big win.

Back