The 2000 Guineas (and beyond)

I simply can't have that, Steve.

No matter how you look at it, Makfi has seriously underperformed yesterday.

You may say that. I half expected Makfi to be unplaced and he was unplaced. I saw him as no threat to Canford and preferred the chances of the other French colt (who also finished in front of Makfi). So the way I'm looking at it if Makfi has underperformed I doubt it's by very much.

Just read elsewhere that none of Paco Boy, Dick Turpin or Canford Cliffs are BC nominated - probably has a fair bit to do with not wanting to fork out 100k+ to nominate (especially if they're going to retire this year).

Thanks lads. Coolmore site reports Steinbeck came home very sore for that its worth.

Sussex Stakes looks an obvious target for Canford with Paco Boy not entered there.

Timeform went 125, 3 lb below his pre-race rating earned in Ireland...

...125 looks too high for me
he is a 122/123 for me , no better than that.
And how would that compare with Timeform's race standards or first-5 standards, DJ?

Is 125 a notably positive or negative view in the context of the race historically and of the specific horses running in this year's race?

:)

125 certainly isn't a positive or a high view of the race. It's the kind of figure you would expect a typical St James' Palace winner to put up.

Poor Dick Turpin - Lope De Vega is set for the Prix Jean Prat.

I think DT might be a monster on soft ground and he could win a G1 in the autumn if we get any.

He surely is a candidate for keeping in training at 4 - if Goldi, CC , PB RVW etc all retire .

Dick Turpin -will he win a Group1 this year?

I think the Sussex Stakes at Goodwood will be the race they wont peg him back in - he has course form and if he can get first run grab the rail they'll all have it to do to get past him. A good friend of mine lives with the owners daughter and he told me that D.T. hasn't had his ground this year and his perfect conditions would be g/soft, so I'll be praying for rain that day. Although that will upset the usual annual family picnic in the car park before attending the meeting.
I passed my thoughts on to connections but not sure they'll listen to me :)

Any thoughts?

No matter how you look at it, Makfi has seriously underperformed yesterday.

I think canford cliffs a very good horse on fast ground and would have beaten makfi but it was reported after the race makfi was found to have been coughing

dick turpin another good horse but will need soft ground to win a grp 1

I just got off the phone with the owner of Dick Turpin and he's more worried about the fact the horse has had 4 hard races - he runs at Chantilly tomorrow and he said they have watered and its raining there as we speak. I told him I was having a drink with his daughters fella and suggested the Sussex Stakes could be the Group1 for him as he would be hard to peg back at Goodwood if he got first run on the rail and he's got form at the track. He said that the ground can come up very firm at Goodwood at that time of year and Dick Turpin is very likely to be put away after tomorrow for an Autumn campaign when the ground eases, most likely a Group1 or 2 in France - so the Sussex Stakes is unlikely.

He added if I have a bet tomorrow - do it e/way.

Spectacular stuff from Dick Turpin - it seems that a very fast pace really suits him - though the ride given to Lope de Vega was bizarre .

Whoosh! Delighted for Dick Turpin!

What a tough horse he's turning out to be - absolutely delighted for connections as DT finally got his ground but they were worried he'd had too many hard races - delighted for my wallet as well :) But in answer to my original question: Will Dick Turpin win a Group1 this season? I'm happy to say the answer is yes - and what a perfomance to do it. :thumbsup:

I suspect the Hannons will go

Canford Cliffs -Sussex

Paco Boy- Jacques le Marois and Foret

Dick Turpin -Moulin

CC and DT might clash again in the QEII.

Spectacular stuff from Dick Turpin - it seems that a very fast pace really suits him - though the ride given to Lope de Vega was bizarre .

I've watched the race half a dozen times now and they employed the pacemaker for Lope De Vega but when he made his move he found nothing - didn't look to go lame - could be a number of problems sure we'll find out - not convinced he would of won at his best either as DT's turn of foot was a sight to behold - you could see his hooves getting into the ground and he was loving it.
I noticed you put on an earlier thread that he could be a monster on soft - I hope your right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMvLoexNTcM

Back