The 2015 Crabbies Grand National

Someone on my 'laidees' forum mentioned the race yesterday and was shot down in flames by everyone. I have the good sense to avoid any comments about the race these days and stopped talking about it to most people at work a long time ago. Get the feeling it's mostly women that get most agitated about it, but I could be wrong.

Bloody disgusting . Should have been warned off

IIRC there was a lot more to this case than just reported here. And the BHA took no action against either despite the finding which is unusual as it would have been a clear case of "bringing racing into disrepute" Both trainers suffered a huge downturn in their careers consequently and it is only now that the Sherwoods are remotely clawing their way back up the ladder. As one who has suffered personally from completely inaccurate reporting by the press, perhaps we should read less into this matter and not make wild accusations.

Someone on my 'laidees' forum mentioned the race yesterday and was shot down in flames by everyone. I have the good sense to avoid any comments about the race these days and stopped talking about it to most people at work a long time ago. Get the feeling it's mostly women that get most agitated about it, but I could be wrong.

FB is awash with angry animal lovers. A couple of us have tried to answer that more horses die every day from neglect and starvation but, as one defender said, it's the once a year brigade again.

IIRC there was a lot more to this case than just reported here. And the BHA took no action against either despite the finding which is unusual as it would have been a clear case of "bringing racing into disrepute" Both trainers suffered a huge downturn in their careers consequently and it is only now that the Sherwoods are remotely clawing their way back up the ladder. As one who has suffered personally from completely inaccurate reporting by the press, perhaps we should read less into this matter and not make wild accusations.

This is simply the press reporting the ruling of the high court. The findings of a court are hardly wild accusations.

This is simply the press reporting the ruling of the high court. The findings of a court are hardly wild accusations.

NO I think you will find I quoted another person about being warned off. I agree it was a report from the High Court but that is not to say that's accurate or correct either. I was sub-poenaed to a case in the High Court which was the clearest case of negligence possible involving a stable lad being crushed under a horse an suffering career ending injuries. Due to an incompetent solicitor, the case went the other way and the trainer (one of the top Newmarket ones) was found not guilty. The lad who was rightly claiming for his injuries went away with nothing. (just for the record the lad was riding a very green 2yo filly who I used to look after. He was unhappy with the way she was when he tacked her up, told the assistant who swore at him and told him to "effing get on with it" As he was 16, he did as ordered. He took her with the rest of the string and we did one canter. She still wasn't right so he reported it and was sent home, alone, across a busy main road. When she got to the crossing, she arrived at the same time as a large lorry and panicked rearing over and crushing his pelvis. She should never have been sent off on her own - none of the horses in our string were ever expected to do that let alone a 2yo nervous filly in March.).

Philip Hobbs on Twitter
Balthazar King has had a good 24 hours and (is) making steady progress.
He has broken a couple of ribs and is very sore but is eating and seems bright in himself.
Thank you for all your kind messages of support we will keep you updated.

I warned any once-a-year punters I was talking to that the National is notorious for a late contraction in starting prices and to get their bets on early at guaranteed odds.

But this year the bookies seem to have taken their urine extraction activities to even greater extremes.

tbh I'm kinda with the bookie on this one - he didn't place a winning bet. A nice gesture would be if they paid out on a reverse tricast instead (even though that was definitely noy the bet he placed).

tbh I'm kinda with the bookie on this one - he didn't place a winning bet. A nice gesture would be if they paid out on a reverse tricast instead (even though that was definitely noy the bet he placed).

Exactly. He would hardly apply the reverse logic - that if the bet he actually placed had won, he shouldn't be paid out because one of the screens in the application displayed the wrong order for the tricast.

I think a good will gesture is definitely in order because the screen in question should be trustworthy. If you're using a mobile phone to place a bet you're not going to be printing a receipt, so what other way have you got of checking the details of your bet?

Back