The 2016 Grand National

How quaint a maiden after over a dozen tries in it's life and wins the National :blink:

Dick Francis would have trouble making that one up..well done anyone who backed him.

Last edited:
Come on Earth Summit!

Seriousl, it won't be that bad, will it? I think people are getting a bit carried away with the number of finishers bets.

12 finishers. surprised at that number tbh. thought it would be less. they were dropping out like flies on the 2nd circuit.

all horses/jocks reported ok which is always the best news.

Vics Canvas ran a belter. There was an article on the Racing Post website which I read last month relating to how they fancied him for the National a year or two ago, (article not stored on their database now for some reason). Gary O Brien of Attheraces must be happy with that. Another soft ground national next year and he'll be interesting.

Last edited:
So you did. I back him in the Thyestes but never gave him a thought for this.

Great shout
I just felt he'd been crying out for a marathon trip. One of those that's not obviously well handicapped, but had the potential over a trip I thought he needed. Nice when it works out, but I thought potentially the same was the case with Buywise who never got into the race.

Davy Russell gave Morning Assembly a peach of a ride.....just didn't get home. Great performance from the winner.

PS. From the overhead shot, did I see David Bass try and elbow David Mullins as the latter made to go past on the run-in?

Last edited:
Yeah, definitely did. Ground the key element for the top weights poorish show?

Last edited:
Vics Canvas ran a belter. There was an article on the Racing Post website which I read last month relating to how they fancied him for the National a year or two ago, (article not stored on their database now for some reason). Gary O Brien of Attheraces must be happy with that. Another soft ground national next year and he'll be interesting.

He'll also be 14...

Having watched the race a few times I say that David Bass went for it too soon and cost his horse the race.

can anyone one tell me why 4 horses, ranging from 99 to 134 lengths behind the 12th placed horse ..decide to walk over the line,making it 16 finishers ..when you only get prize money for being in the 1st 10.... channel 4 stated there were 12 finishers, 10 minutes after said sorry it was 16.. cause it took them so long to walk over the line.

Last edited:
can anyone one tell me why 4 horses, ranging from 99 to 134 lengths behind the 12th placed horse ..decide to walk over the line,making it 16 finishers ..when you only get price money for being in the 1st 10.... channel 4 stated there were 12 finishers, 10 minutes after said sorry it was 16.. cause it took them so long to walk over the line.

To make their over 16 finishers bet come in?

They're not going to pull up unless they have to. They all want a "completed" on their record even if they've no chance.

can anyone one tell me why 4 horses, ranging from 99 to 134 lengths behind the 12th placed horse ..decide to walk over the line,making it 16 finishers ..when you only get prize money for being in the 1st 10.... channel 4 stated there were 12 finishers, 10 minutes after said sorry it was 16.. cause it took them so long to walk over the line.

Why not, if they've completed the course and sound. I sure wouldn't be pulling up after jumping the last.

Last edited:
To make their over 16 finishers bet come in?

most the bookies where going 15 or under....even the sporting life posted 12 finishers and said , well done the 4 jockeys for pulling the horses up .. i went to cash my bet in.. they said it was 16.. they all walked over the line..10 minutes after the winner won..

Back