The 2021 Longshot Thread

Last night I wrote elsewhere when discussing the Dante:

I might stick something on Roman Empire at 66/1 because you just never know with Coolmore.

I see it's blue in many places this morning and 33/1 in quite a few of them, mainly the ones offering the extra place, but it's been trimmed to 40s in most. I manged to get 66/1 (still there in a place) but without the extra place so expect it to finish fourth...

Last edited:
2 for tomorrow.one a cliff horse and one is drawn outside the car park.
PIVOINE 140Y 25/1
WHYZZAT 200L 25/1

PIVOINE 140Y 25/1
WHYZZAT 200L 25/1

I gave up on Pivoine quite some time back now. I haven't even had sickness insurance on him in most of those races but there's no doubt he's seriously well handicapped if they can get him back to his old form.

York 2.40 - Khagan 33/1, 4pl - not far off the top of the ratings if his old RPRs can be taken at face value. An ex-Godolphin/Fabre horse and O’Meara has a history of improving his purchases from France.

Last edited:
Ey Up It's Maggie 4.15 york 25/1

Very unlucky at Chester last week. Drawn out wide, she was then carried slightly wider as the stalls opened, his jockey took a tug and pulled her over to the rails.
Split the race into two; those that got out and were gone and those that were positioned better in front of her, she picked the first group up effortlessley, then closed in on the leaders just failing for 4th.
They felt her good enough to run in a group race last year.
She will come on for the run, has a decent enough draw, should appreciate the better ground, and at 25/1 for 5 places with Skybet, represents a bit of value.

Last edited:
York 2.40 - Khagan 33/1, 4pl - not far off the top of the ratings if his old RPRs can be taken at face value. An ex-Godolphin/Fabre horse and O’Meara has a history of improving his purchases from France.

So close. Another thanks from me though as was also mentioned by Ken Pitterson so went in again.

Ey Up It's Maggie 4.15 york 25/1

Very unlucky at Chester last week. Drawn out wide, she was then carried slightly wider as the stalls opened, his jockey took a tug and pulled her over to the rails.
Split the race into two; those that got out and were gone and those that were positioned better in front of her, she picked the first group up effortlessley, then closed in on the leaders just failing for 4th.
They felt her good enough to run in a group race last year.
She will come on for the run, has a decent enough draw, should appreciate the better ground, and at 25/1 for 5 places with Skybet, represents a bit of value.

Decent shout Maxbet. Might be lucky to keep fourth place but the jockey has a lot to learn.

Lockinge - Lord Glitters 33/1, 4pl - second top on my figures and will love the ground. Might not get the fast pace he needs but the price is far too long.

PIVOINE 140Y 25/1
WHYZZAT 200L 25/1

Pivoine ran much better today and got hampered but betfair was 4 places so a profit.
Whyzaat ran better than his 9th place.it says it weakened final furlong but I dont agree.i think it got short of room and had to stop riding.

Thankfully I had a last minute bet on Eshaada because I read that she’d ran at Nottingham and I know a lot of trainers start their good horses off at Nottingham. Henry Cecil used to do so I believe and we’ve been there when Michael Stoute has sent a young’un there. Still down in the day though.

8.15 Limerick Pennywell Girl 50/1
Put her into the notebook in the hope that she might turn up in a bad race after staying on nicely at Killarney. Had passed Tune the Cello into second when falling at the last. (Bad fall it has to be said). The competition tomorrow is a bit tasty, but promises to stay 3m, and at the prices, I've had an ew tickle.

8.15 Limerick Pennywell Girl 50/1
Put her into the notebook in the hope that she might turn up in a bad race after staying on nicely at Killarney. Had passed Tune the Cello into second when falling at the last. (Bad fall it has to be said). The competition tomorrow is a bit tasty, but promises to stay 3m, and at the prices, I've had an ew tickle.

3rd. Ran well. Got interesting for a furlong.

Thought I’d have a day off from betting but put some pennies on it last night so thanks for that!

No individual qualifier for me today [so far] but I'm going to really tempt fate with a 155/1 double at the extra-place prices:

Rajinsky 11/1, 4pl (Hay 2.25) - top-rated, putting up a career best last time on my figures and ahead of my target figure for a winner so plenty to like about at double-figure odds.

Makanah 12/1, 5pl (York 3.50) - also top-rated on my figures. The only danger - if he runs his race - is old Copper Knight but only if he too is closer to his old form than his most recent win.

And how about sticking in Battleground 11/1, 5pl, for a 1727/1 treble, the place portion of which pays almost 32/1, which qualifies for the thread :)

Last edited:
Rajinsky 11/1, 4pl (Hay 2.25) - top-rated, putting up a career-best last time on my figures and ahead of my target figure for a winner so plenty to like about at double-figure odds.

Thought for a while he had it there...nice spot...

Of the winner, you keep talking up Dosage DO....you won't see many flat horse with one like this...

FRANKENSTELLA (IRE) b. F, 2017 {23} DP = 1-1-12-16-2 (32) DI = 0.33 CD = -0.53

Bottom weight over 2 miles on heavy ground....

Last edited:
No individual qualifier for me today [so far] but I'm going to really tempt fate with a 155/1 double at the extra-place prices:

Rajinsky 11/1, 4pl (Hay 2.25) - top-rated, putting up a career best last time on my figures and ahead of my target figure for a winner so plenty to like about at double-figure odds.

Makanah 12/1, 5pl (York 3.50) - also top-rated on my figures. The only danger - if he runs his race - is old Copper Knight but only if he too is closer to his old form than his most recent win.

And how about sticking in Battleground 11/1, 5pl, for a 1727/1 treble, the place portion of which pays almost 32/1, which qualifies for the thread :)

With Battleground a NR I got the place double up twice as well as the place singles so a nice profit on a quiet day.

Ante-post

Arc - Serpentine 40/1 - I reckon he could have won the race last year and have no intention of losing faith given how poor the 3yos are shaping up. Taking the price today in anticipation of an impressive comeback in the Tattersalls Gold Cup this afternoon.

Dinars rose 530c 40/1 5th last year behind dalton highway with lynwood gold 3rd.btn about 10L but is 12lb and 10lb better off and Hefferman stays to ride.

Back