The alternative Cheltenham Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter SlimChance
  • Start date Start date
I was pretty down on Thursday evening, Slim. Punted unusually heavily ante-post and on day 1 and only broke even. About 1.5pts ahead after day two (I avoid short-shots, as you know), got totally wiped out on day 3 and was dreading day 4. It was a minor miracle that I got ahead albeit only very marginally by the close of play with none of the multiples doing anything.

But give me the jumps any day!

You did very well to grind it out. One of my downfalls is that I'll try to knock one out of the park. As with every year at Cheltenham, if you get behind after day one you are very much odds against to turn it around without finding one of the handicap winners.

The last race of the day was a constant get out of jail card for me
I backed the winner of it on Tues,Wed and Thursday.Ironically it was Dandridge that I was sweetest of the lot on that hit the crossbar.

My ante post book which includes all my multiples were a disaster this year.

Had some great prices but mix of factors worked against me.

Tuesday was fine, Wednesday was particularly tough and Thursday was great.

Nothing struck me as bet worthy on Friday.

Day of festival backing worked well.

I will have to consider my approach to long term AP backing.

All my ante post bets were a disaster. In particular Djakadam at 7/1 looked good but no return. Thistlecrack was the highlight for me, had him at 6/4 and in a few multis. What really saved me was my £1.5ew lucky 15s on each day - managed to get four placed horses in one every day and that saved a bad festival from being a total rout. Still down four figures but could've been even worse.

I done in €3.5k not including ante post bets. I didn't have an awful lot done ante post so its just over €4k for me all in. All I really needed was one decent winner to make the week manageable. The only bullet I have remaining is a +€10k position on Holywell for the Grand National, other that that its back to grinding a few quid out of the upcoming flat cards.

Last edited:
Had a tracker running at 40s today early price couldn't pull the trigger as I feel all betted out and the figger plugs on for fourth.

I need a holiday.

Its a funny old game.

I doubt there are many punters who lost money on Cheltenham, I done my absolute brains.
Its going to be a hard grind for me to get back in the game and I certainly won't miss the jumps season when its finally gone.
Onwards and upwards, lad !
You may be feeling a bit down right ow, but you're far from "out". When you're firing in those shoo-in's during the coming Flat, all this will be a dim and distant memory.

It takes a good man to 'fess up to his losses on the hosses. Fair play to ya !

Onwards and upwards, lad !
You may be feeling a bit down right ow, but you're far from "out". When you're firing in those shoo-in's during the coming Flat, all this will be a dim and distant memory.

It takes a good man to 'fess up to his losses on the hosses. Fair play to ya !

At least when you admit to doing you're brains forum members are more tolerable during the year when you back a winner and go off on one... :whistle:

Had a tracker running at 40s today early price couldn't pull the trigger as I feel all betted out and the figger plugs on for fourth.

I need a holiday.

All quiet for me until Aintree I would think

I'm looking forward to the Lincoln but that meetings always more of a watching brief for me
Always a good source of winners for the first couple of months of the season is donny.

My ante post multiples hit a blank, complete disaster. The biggest losers for my ante post multiples were Friday, where I had Yorkhill at 16's for the Neptune doubled up with shantou village at 10's for the AB. I was very confident before the race, but it was a big let down.

Elsewhere on Friday I had a nice ante post treble on Thistlecrack, Limini, and Djackadam, where I thought Djackadam ran much better then I expected on the ground. At least I was in with a shout coming down the hill, but it was another loser in the book. The only saving grace to my ante post book were singles on Altior and Ivanovich Gorbatov.

Squouteur was the final nail in the coffin. He was the last leg of a five and six fold ew accumulator, with the place part still alive in both. All he had to do was place, but it wasn't to be. It was a good festival overall from a punting point of view, Gordon Elliott's winners being my big saver, but because of my ante post multiples getting totally wiped out, it felt like a losing one.

Lessons to me to take away, forget about trebles until the week before, be more disciplined, and bare caution with Mullins targets.

Last edited:
I cant understand all the bookies falling over each other to offer specials like william hill top price on all horses and money back as free bet on seconds .
Im not sure if william hill offered this in shops tho.

PP money back as a free bet on seconds is nuts considering the amount of shops they have.(tho PP's place terms were a joke offering 1/5 the odds)
I think every hot pot won or was second.
Someone who works in the industry for a different bookie told me PP lost 14 million thursday ,

Surely PP would be better off doing something like matching 365 €200 bonus for new customers with the free bets instead of giving them out in shops .

On the Thursday the 'good thing' treble won and Irish trained horses won the three supporting races including one ridden by Jamie Codd and one by Ruby Walsh for Willie Mullins . There is not really much a bookmakerr can do there. They had no chance.

All quiet for me until Aintree I would think

I'm looking forward to the Lincoln but that meetings always more of a watching brief for me
Always a good source of winners for the first couple of months of the season is donny.

Yeah, that first couple of months are great for filling your tracker up. I'll only get involved with small stakes at Aintree.

On the Thursday the 'good thing' treble won and Irish trained horses won the three supporting races including one ridden by Jamie Codd and one by Ruby Walsh for Willie Mullins . There is not really much a bookmakerr can do there. They had no chance.

Thursday was a great day for the punters. Revenge for Annie last year. All i could shout in the ring when Limini came to the last was "Don't f@@@ing fall Ruby"...

As an old Irish fella stood next to me said, they all "won like a good thing should".

Back