The alternative Cheltenham Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter SlimChance
  • Start date Start date
A Good Skin is the one I want to see declared. Five pound better off at the weights with Silvergrove, he's won here before, still relatively unexposed, should improve on the good ground.
1:30 Zabana
2:10 Join The Clan
5:30 A Good Skin

All e/w today

Only two winners and a place will do. I'm hungry.

Last edited:
Barters Hill pulled up stiff after working on Wednesday.David Bass was interviewed on RUK and said absolutely nothing about it.

This is not information as such but I heard someone say earlier in the week on a preview that Martin Pipe told him Kings Palace is a certainty.........I'm having 6 quid ew that about sums up my confidence in the info.:ninja:

After without doubt the worst ever days betting yesterday I think today was probably the best. Numerous wins & places, got the trifecta in the 1st race, hit an e/w trixie and have the last leg of a rather nice acca going into tomorrow (Don Cossack).

Cause of causes storming around the outside was just the icing on the cake.

Faith is restored.

After without doubt the worst ever days betting yesterday I think today was probably the best. Numerous wins & places, got the trifecta in the 1st race, hit an e/w trixie and have the last leg of a rather nice acca going into tomorrow (Don Cossack).

Cause of causes storming around the outside was just the icing on the cake.

Faith is restored.

it couldn't have got any worst yesterday for me and a poor start today when Johnson was hampered repeatedly on if in doubt but backed the three good things and I am evenish going into Friday.The highs and lows eh

5 Places E/W for Great Field is value
Doubled with Croco Bay in the GA, again 5 places.

Great Field pulled way too hard and predictably had nothing once headed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Scudamore is a cnut. He was on the maybe the second/third best horse in that race, lost his position, the horse ran on and he was like a wet fanny in the last furlong.

I only noticed on the blimp replay how much ground he lost. Will need to catch it again on +1 to see more clearly what happened. He might just have been the best horse beat.

Its a funny old game.

I doubt there are many punters who lost money on Cheltenham, I done my absolute brains.

Ante post bullets on Nichols Canyon 11/1 and Noble Endeavor 16/1 went up in smoke on day one. I was heavily involved in each way multiples and done in about 70% of my stakes. Holywell was the key horse. Had he won I would have been in front for the day instead I was well behind. On Wednesday I had a good go on 4 horses e/w and Blazer win only at 16/1 in the Coral Cup and drew a blank. I got some respite with Sprinter Sacre (my only winner of the week) but this was quickly eroded with e/w plays in the last two races with favorable place terms. On Thursday Garde La Victore, All Hell Let Loose and Road to Riches were my strong plays and any returns from RTR were played up on the remaining races with a similar results. On Friday I was starring into the abyss before the day started resigned that I was longs odds on to do in the lot. I had two bullets remaining, 11/1 Gangster for the Albert Bartlett and a €7k return from Blue Hell winning the County hurdle. When Gangster traded 2.52 in running I thought I was back in the game but as they turned in he blew up, not too unlike my punting tank.

All in an all a sobering experience, made harder by the fact that the vast majority of punters will have won on the week but the angles I look for will rarely get paid with the results we had this week. Its going to be a hard grind for me to get back in the game and I certainly won't miss the jumps season when its finally gone.

Last edited:
Scu-bashing is a long term occupation on this forum but I reckon he's getting better as time goes on. There was a time when I would have been put off backing one with him on it.

Its a funny old game.

I doubt there are many punters who lost money on Cheltenham, I done my absolute brains.

Ante post bullets on Nichols Canyon 11/1 and Noble Endeavor 16/1 went up in smoke on day one. I was heavily involved in each way multiples and done in about 70% of my stakes. Holywell was the key horse. Had he won I would have been in front for the day instead I was well behind. On Wednesday I had a good go on 4 horses e/w and Blazer win only at 16/1 in the Coral Cup and drew a blank. I got some respite with Sprinter Sacre (my only winner of the week) but this was quickly eroded with e/w plays in the last two races with favorable place terms. On Thursday Garde La Victore, All Hell Let Loose and Road to Riches were my strong plays and any returns from RTR were played up on the remaining races with a similar results. On Friday I was starring into the abyss before the day started resigned that I was longs odds on to do in the lot. I had two bullets remaining, 11/1 Gangster for the Albert Bartlett and a €7k return from Blue Hell winning the County hurdle. When Gangster traded 2.52 in running I thought I was back in the game but as they turned in he blew up, not too unlike my punting tank.

All in an all a sobering experience, made harder by the fact that the vast majority of punters will have won on the week but the angles I look for will rarely get paid with the results we had this week. Its going to be a hard grind for me to get back in the game and I certainly won't miss the jumps season when its finally gone.

I was pretty down on Thursday evening, Slim. Punted unusually heavily ante-post and on day 1 and only broke even. About 1.5pts ahead after day two (I avoid short-shots, as you know), got totally wiped out on day 3 and was dreading day 4. It was a minor miracle that I got ahead albeit only very marginally by the close of play with none of the multiples doing anything.

But give me the jumps any day!

My Festival started in dream like fashion with Altior going in (had him at 7s, 6s and in the Sky first race concession) and then Sizing John winning the w/o Douvan race in the Arkle (although I would have won a lot more if he'd have gone in the JLT - convinced he would have won.) Then pretty much drew a blank apart from enough on Vautour to cover my ap interests in the Ryanair and a small bet on Ivanovich Gorbatov in the Triumph.
I hit the 25 in my each way doubles rather than the bullseye but Shantou Village, Don Poli and Bristol De Mai not winning at really good prices ante-post hurt. These type Festivals with favs going in all over the place are no good for me at all but I managed to come out level overall and honestly that's good enough for me. I think the key to winning for me is for my trackers to do well on the flat and to find competitively priced horses on both codes in uncompetitive conditions races, and you just don't get them type contests at Cheltenham or Royal Ascot in the main.

Last edited:
Back