The Arc 2021

Quite taken by the third there in the 2yo colts race, Ancient Rome. He got shuffled back but finished well. Lovely strong type who I am going to keep an eye on. By War Front out of a decent mare who’s well bred too.

Hate it when a totally unconsidered horse comes and wins this.....a Serpentine moment for me.

Scored 11/12 on the OLBG Arc blog. Only missed out on 12/12 because it was over 33/1.

Thing is, the form has to be solid given the placed horses... All the right horses in the top 6... Bar the winner!

Wonder if Prescott is regretting not running Alpinista! Form looks solid now!

German Derby winner Sisfahan may not be up to this but interesting that he is from the Mill Reef sire line , his sire a German Derby winner that never won after but no sign of Galileo, Sadlers Wells , Shamardal or Dubawi in the pedigree.

This is as close as anyone got to tipping the winner methinks.
Sisfahan 1 length second to Arc winner early September.
Had I had a bob on I would qualify for Stopped Clock After timing Award of the Decade !
Should I win Euromillions / Irish Lotttery jackpot this week I will definitely purchase Sisfahan !

Thing is, the form has to be solid given the placed horses... All the right horses in the top 6... Bar the winner!

Wonder if Prescott is regretting not running Alpinista! Form looks solid now!

Alpinista will have next year’s Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe on her agenda after Sir Mark Prescott confirmed she will stay in training.

Owned by Kirsten Rausing, the four-year-old Frankel filly has won Group Ones in Germany on her last two outings.

At Hoppegarten in August she had none other than Torquator Tasso back in second – and while many British race fans might not have thought much of the form initially, he then went on to win Sunday’s Arc showpiece at ParisLonghamp.

“She’s fine, and the form was greatly enhanced on Sunday,” said Prescott.

“The form had looked good before – because after she won, the Arc winner went on and won his Group One, and the Godolphin horse (Walton Street, third at Hoppegarten) won the Canadian International.

“It was clear the form was probably better than we thought, pretty soon after the race, so it was very rewarding to see him run so well.

“If she’s all right we’ve always intended to run her in the Grosser Preis Von Bayern at Munich on November 7.

“If she’s not – because it’s late in the year for a filly – if she gave us signs she wasn’t at her best, then that would do and next year we would try to train her towards the Arc de Triomphe if we could.

“She definitely stays in training. Miss Kirsten Rausing is very fortunate, because she has got so many of the family at stud.

“While this one is capable of adding lustre to the family, it is better off winning races, and the others can get on with the breeding.”

Speaking of Prescott, it was he who said the ability to act on firm ground was disappearing from the breed because of the constant watering of racecourses. Does this not mean the reverse is true and the ability to act under soft conditions was now more commonplace amongst the better animals? Look at the way Space Blues went through that ground in the Foret.

Yes it's interesting all the talk about Alpinista when Love was the filly who beat her well by 5 lengths in the Yorkshire Oaks last year.

I'm hoping to see Love on Champions Day. She has two entries.

Also hoping Ballydoyle might keep in training for next season.

Last edited:
Headline on the RP website that the Arc may be moved to an earlier date

It's behind a paywall though so couldn't read the article

Makes sense if they do it, flat racing is a summer sport imo and the biggest race shouldn't be run in a quagbog every year

Hopefully Champions day will be moved forward as well

Champions Day at Newmarket featured the Ces and a bunch of 2yo races. It was just another day.

And a proper 10f Group 1 should never be on the Rowley Mile.

Funny thing is the weather forecast looks dry for the foreseeable and we might get good ground next Saturday for once:D

That made the race unique though Euro and we got some stunning performances through the years.
Maybe it age but the going was usually better also than Ascot.
That said I was there for the first Champions Day and enjoyed it immensely; then Apache Gold took over at Cork !

Champions Day at Newmarket featured the Ces and a bunch of 2yo races. It was just another day.

And a proper 10f Group 1 should never be on the Rowley Mile.

Can't agree with that. For one thing there was the Champion Stakes which was a much more meaningful race than at Ascot. Then there was the Rockfel and the Dewhurst, followed by the Challenge Stakes and finished off by the Pride stakes. It was one of my favourite days and usually run on good ground.

Back