The Bumpers Thread

Grey

Senior Jockey
We already have a thread for the point to pointless, so it's time we had one for bumpers too.

Did anyone see the extraordinary performance by Vickie, which won the bumper at Tramore today? Her previous runs were 58L 14th of 16 over 20f at Wexford and an unseat in a maiden hurdle, but today she stayed four wide the whole way, ran in snatches and jumped the path about a furlong from the finish on both laps. There's clearly a bit of raw talent there (might she be for sale?) but it doesn't say a lot for the rest of the field that she was able to win today.

Incidentally it was her rider's second success under rules from 50 rides since 1995.

Cork bumper fancy Mallowney has just come in from 92/1 to 9/2 with SJ in a single breathtaking market move :rolleyes:.

He seems to have a chance though. His last two runs, over hurdles, were a big improvement on his two initial bumper outings, but it seems that he is still rather green and taking time to get himself sorted out, so it might be no harm that he won't have obstacles to cope with tonight.

I don't understand why Chakisto is such a big price for the 4yo bumper at Punchestown this evening (Bet365 still 14/1). He already has form good enough to win this in an average year and has a top man on board.

I don't understand why Chakisto is such a big price for the 4yo bumper at Punchestown this evening (Bet365 still 14/1). He already has form good enough to win this in an average year and has a top man on board.

Snap.....and they are paying 1/4 odds first 4. Connections should know what they have and he should be backed later....then we will see if it has any chance.

Last edited:
Monster bumper tomorrow with several reopposing from Cheltenham and a couple of dark horses in Meades and Fenton's . I thought New Years Eve travelled all over the winner at Cheltenham but the hill caught him out. If you knew he went on the ground the 6/1 with Boyles looks ok. Was very impressed with Venture Capital on his debut and cannot leave him out so will dutch the two. Most interesting race of the day tomorrow by miles for me.

Motivator's on soft ground stats anyone? The market always tells the story with their runners. The favourite will certainly go in it.

Clonbanan Lad surley has a big chance on the ground...looked super in Naas on the heavy stuff. Think he's an ew bet to nothing.

Because of the unfavourable ground conditions at Cheltenham I was unable to achieve my target price to lay off most of my AP bets on Champagne Fever, :):):). If you watch the January race you will see that the horse revels in softer ground.

CF was not right coming out of the December race yet still finished 2/13. A seriously good horse, I expect him to win today and like others on here feel the challenge is likely to come from Clonbanan Lad. Mullin's other horse, Mozoltov, is also capable of a good performance and should not be dismissed lightly.

I like the look of OK OSCAR in the last at Punchestown tonight.

5lb better off (including claims) for 5L with top timeform rated OPERATING who had had the benefit of a run.

His dam TOROSE won a heavy ground fillies bumper at the distance.(18f)

His sire OSCAR needs no introduction

Stable in great form & trainer has a 38% place rate in bumpers - nearly 50% if you count 4th's. 2 winners from 2 runners this meeting ( Alderwood and Some Article)

Horse is family owned and homebred.

One negative the Dam didn't do that well at this track but that's balanced imo by the influence of the sire and the price.

A very serious and brave horse. Winning in those conditions and at Cheltenham on very different going.

Because of the unfavourable ground conditions at Cheltenham I was unable to achieve my target price to lay off most of my AP bets on Champagne Fever, :):):). If you watch the January race you will see that the horse revels in softer ground.

CF was not right coming out of the December race yet still finished 2/13. A seriously good horse, I expect him to win today and like others on here feel the challenge is likely to come from Clonbanan Lad. Mullin's other horse, Mozoltov, is also capable of a good performance and should not be dismissed lightly.

He was an unbelievable price again today - touched 4/1 - didn't back him again despite the fact he was bred about 400 yards from my home place. He is a smashing stamp of a horse - well done TS.

Thanks guys.
The horse is one I've virtually adopted and each time he's run he has shown further qualities that more than justify my decision to follow him off a cliff. Gutsy front runner, doesn't flinch when challenged but pulls more out even though knackered. Deserves a good long summer rest, especially after today.

Grey is right, even as I was yelling him on I was reminded of other occasions when I have seen horses bottomed by such conditions. They were wrong to race today. On reflection I think I will take a short break from the horses until Guineas Day.

I really hope Champagne takes to jumping as that will give me added, if perhaps, unneccessary reason to look forward to the next jumping season.

Last edited:
The winning trainer said: "That was an extraordinary performance - he is a super horse.

"I don't know what we'll do next year; we were thinking of going straight over fences like we did with Florida Pearl (after he won the Cheltenham bumper), but I'm not sure now.

"I thought he was out on his feet in the straight, but Patrick said he was just idling. We know that the third (Mozoltov) is a good horse but Champagne Fever obviously stays well and is a good jumper.

"He is one that we are really looking forward to and has huge ability."

Back