The Bumpers Thread

Brave Vic got into the Fontwell race when it was all over and ran on nicely. The betting on this fellow was very twitchy, and his odds shortened into 7/1 before going right back out again to 12/1, Favourite No No Charlie got away from his field a few furlongs out and won well. Brave Vic was closing on him towards the finish but never got close enough to make a fight of it.

I'm not normally a fan of quick reappearances by bumper horses, but Brave Vic has a good opportunity to go one better tonight if given a more ambitious ride. I was hoping for a better price than 2/1, however, so I won't take the plunge.

The Richard Rowe horse, Father Arthur, and the Nicholls horse's dam The Great O'Malley are both stunningly well named, but I'm afraid even that won't coax me into the betting whirlpool this occasion.

Does anyone know why Brave Vic was a non runner today? Perhaps connections agreed with me about the price?

Fiddlesticks is being backed at fancy prices at Aintree. He's a half brother to two bumper winners, so it's not surprising. Mind you, favourite Western Movie is a half brother to no less than five.

Fiddlesticks is being backed at fancy prices at Aintree. He's a half brother to two bumper winners, so it's not surprising. Mind you, favourite Western Movie is a half brother to no less than five.

I've done Vinnie My Boy e/way - Bowen does well with his bumpers at this track - Good luck

From the Twiston Davies website

4.50 - African Gold makes his bumper debut and looks to be a nice horse in the making. This doesn't look to be a particularly competitive event and it would be disappointing if he didn't go close, but there still may be one or two more that the race could go to. Hopeful of place prospects at least, but may just have enough to take this

From the Twiston Davies website

4.50 - African Gold makes his bumper debut and looks to be a nice horse in the making. This doesn't look to be a particularly competitive event and it would be disappointing if he didn't go close, but there still may be one or two more that the race could go to. Hopeful of place prospects at least, but may just have enough to take this

slapped a fiver down and came up trumps,cheers:thumbsup:

Risky taking on a Mullins horse in a bumber but I think Zuzka is vulnerable as a mare with a penalty - Kilbarry Beauty, Our Native Land and Young Palm have all run well in better races and I'd be hopeful one of these will beat the Mullins yoke :blink:

She showed that she's a tough one, Chef, because I'm not sure that ground was ideal for her.

Towcester 8:55 - taking a chance with Handsome Buddy here in what looks a moderate bumper - If Henderson can win it with a horse whose pulled up in 4 races with limited training time with the horse then he is a god (personally I think he may be) but Handsome Buddy's trainer quite new to rules was prepared to fork out £36,000 for him then I'm prepared to take a gamble - trainer has a 3rd and a 4th from 4 bumper runners so far

Robbie McNamara was caught napping just now in the bumper at Ballinrobe. He hit the front cruising early in the short downhill straight, looking between his knees (he's very tall). By the time he spotted that Rising Euro (!?!) was coming out of the pack at him it was too late.

Dessie was very careful with his pronunciation of Forced Kin, which lead into the straight just now at Punchestown but started to draw back towards the finish.

There is a bumper at Worcester today (15.10) with five newcomers from six runners, which is not the most promising of betting material.

Nevertheless I am a believer that bumper horses need to be bred for the job, and so am interested in Floral Spinner, whose half brother, and also her dam, are bumper winners. On pedigree she is one of the more interesting of the runners, should go on the ground and her stable is in good form, which makes it worth taking a chance to small stakes at odds of 12/1.

There is a bumper at Worcester today (15.10) with five newcomers from six runners, which is not the most promising of betting material.

Nevertheless I am a believer that bumper horses need to be bred for the job, and so am interested in Floral Spinner, whose half brother, and also her dam, are bumper winners. On pedigree she is one of the more interesting of the runners, should go on the ground and her stable is in good form, which makes it worth taking a chance to small stakes at odds of 12/1.

Never mind that. The dam, Dawn Spinner, is a half-sister to legendary chaser The Tsarevich, who amused me throughout the 80's. He also ran in these colours before being sold to Ivan Straker.

The bottom horse, Tigers Tileah, is out of a 6f winner which will put many off, but that mare is a half-sister to Balla Sola (second in Katarino's Triumph) and Celibate, who was a pretty nifty chaser in his prime.

The favourite wears a tongue tie, which is a massive negative for a newcomer, especially on desperate ground.

That's the forecast sorted, what are you waiting for?

Back