The Bumpers Thread

Really liked Morning Assembly the day he won his bumper - he looked booked for mid division when finally the penny dropped and he took off up the straight. Probably no chance of racing tomorrow but one up watch most definitely...

Lughnasa is an obvious favourite for tonight's bumper. She quickened well close home to win going away on her debut (Cork, good to yielding), beating Director's Forum who has been placed in several bumpers and sold for €80,000 at yesterday's sales. I wonder though how she'll go on heavy ground.

I would also be doubtful whether the younger horses in the race will cope with conditions as well as some of the older ones, so I won't be backing Lady Of Glencoe, who was 2nd in the Listed juvenile bumper at Limerick last month. The 1st, 3rd and 4th in that race, Summer Star, Chakisto and Bonheur Secret have all floundered in other races here this week.

Of the others with form Honourable Lady might be best. She was a respectable second in her last outing (soft/heavy at Gowran), 33L ahead of the 3rd horse. This suggests to me that she has a good chance of coping with today's attritional conditions and at 33/1 seems worth a small each way bet.

There are three Mullins newcomers in the race, and needless to say they have to be feared.

Will be having a cut off Comeback Colin in the Mkt Rasen bumper today. Pam Sly trained son of beat hollow, ridden by Tom Bellamy claiming the seven. 4/1 will do for me.

The favourite Shuh Shuh Gah has needed stoking some way out in both his races before staying on, and looks vulnerable.

Comeback Colin is next in the betting but is bred to win on the flat rather than to lump 10-13 over two miles. I prefer the look of Kicking Time, whose dam won a bumper and is a sister of Kicking King, winner not only of a Gold Cup but, even better, a Leopardstown bumper. :p

Let's hope one of us is right, Trefflich :)

Dancers Dilemma is a hot favourite for tonight's bumper at Ballinrobe.

After coming third in a very hot bumper at Galway in summer 2009 (Loosen My Load was the winner and others in behind went on to win good races), his next run was not until February of this year at the Leopardstown Hennessy meeting.

After paying over €200k for him, and waiting almost three years for his second run, Noel Furlong's patience looked like being rewarded because Dancers Dilemma was a promising 2nd to Pique Sous (3rd in the Cheltenham bumper next time out), beating subsequent bumper winner Five Point Plan.

Tonight he appears at Ballinrobe in new colours, however. He looks too good to oppose but I find it surprising that he has changed hands at this stage. Is Noel Furlong in financial bother, was he perhaps forced to sell?

By the way the Mullins newcomer Wrong Way Corrigan is named after Douglas Corrigan, who crossed the Atlantic in a single seater plane in the 1930s. He had always wanted to emulate his hero Charles Lindbergh but the aviation authorities refused to give his rather bockety plane permission for a transatlantic flight. Eventually he took off one day and instead of turning back inland in line with the flight plan he had filed he kept going east until he reached Ireland. When confronted about this he explained with a straight face that he was already across the Atlantic before he realised he had taken a wrong turn.

Tks Grey. There was I thinking he was named after the tv chef Richard. Sounds like an apprentice who on winning on a filly by 12 lengths that was not supposed to win telling connections " Sorry , she took off on me" only to arrive at morning stables to his boss driving a new sports car!

Dancers Dilemna gave Pique Sous form another boost. Pique could be very interesting over the hurdles.

Speaking of Pique Sous, Supreme Racing have won bumpers with four out of the five horses they brought to the track last season and the other one also ran well. The latest of them to make their debut is Zuzka, who runs at Kilbeggan tonight. If she's up to the same standard as the rest of them she would probably win. Her main opposition looks to be Wall Street Wally, who on his second outing was runner-up to a decent enough horse, and the 3rd and 4th both won next time out. I'll be leaving this one alone.

At Fontwell the favourite No No Charlie sets a certain standard but there are two interesting newcomers in the race, Nicky Henderson's Definite Ruby and Gary Moore's Brave Vic. On paper the latter horse looks the better, so I'll be keeping an eye on the betting. He's top price 14/1 at present.

Last edited:
Is it a positive move for her or an absence of money for anything else? There's no turnover on Betfair yet.

At Fontwell the favourite No No Charlie sets a certain standard but there are two interesting newcomers in the race, Nicky Henderson's Definite Ruby and Gary Moore's Brave Vic. On paper the latter horse looks the better, so I'll be keeping an eye on the betting. He's top price 14/1 at present.

There seems to be some money for Brave Vic. Corals are holding out at 12/1 but 10/1 is the best price anywhere else.

The right money talks. This crew were mopping up any 6/4 and 11/8 on course not laying back for the price of a Twix and a can of coke.

Zuzka ran very well and won easily after being backed accordingly.

Brave Vic got into the Fontwell race when it was all over and ran on nicely. The betting on this fellow was very twitchy, and his odds shortened into 7/1 before going right back out again to 12/1, Favourite No No Charlie got away from his field a few furlongs out and won well. Brave Vic was closing on him towards the finish but never got close enough to make a fight of it.

The money is coming for Dunmoe for the bumper at Limerick today. He would not need to be anything exceptional to win. Likely second favourite More Madness has been runner up on his two racecourse outings but there was nothing of any note behind him on either occasion.

Odds on favourite Cullentry looks lay material at Sligo today. By Royal Applause (average winning distance of progeny 7.7f) out of a Mr Greeley (awd 8.2f) mare, he is not bred for lumping 11-7 around Sligo for 2m2f. The fact the dam was useless on the track does not add to his appeal.

Well, how wrong can you be? Cullentry Royal wins easily, looking like he could happily go round again.

WTF was that ride on Some Tikket. Does the jockey carry a whip, does he know how to use it, Sheesh

Decent bumper for the time of year in Ffos Llas tonight. The Henderson NR does take a little of the gloss off it but interesting all the same. At the time of writing, following heavy support all day, Lookout Mountain is now 5/4 for the Jonjo/Magnier/Smith axis, definitely falls into the oculd be anything category and it would be a brave man that takes him on. However, take him on I will...unraced bumper horses at short prices are a quick road to the poor house! Dare to Endeavour for the resurgent Bowen stable is the horse I like, 11/2 will do me..

I'm with you, trefflich, I've already backed Dare To Endeavour. He's that bit older than his main market rivals and more stoutly bred, too stoutly bred perhaps for a bumper run in normal conditions but tonight's race will be different.

Dare To Endeavour has drifted so far now he must be in sight of the Irish coast. Given he's from a local stable that likes to back its winners it's not a good sign.

Back