The Champion Chase 2010

Sounds promising.

Forpady pleases Tom Cooper in Curragh gallop

BY BRIAN FLEMING 5:51PM 19 FEB 2010

FORPADYDEPLASTERER pleased trainer Tom Cooper following a Curragh workout over nine furlongs on the Old Vic gallop on Friday, but the trainer stressed the eight-year-old “has to stay sound” if he is to line up at Cheltenham next month.

RELATED LINKS
» Champion Chase betting
» Ryanair Chase betting
"I was very happy with his piece of work but he has to stay sound so it will be a case of keeping a close eye on things over the next few weeks,” said Cooper.

“He’s a clean-winded horse and he had two puffs, which he was entitled to, and finished well, so I have to be pleased with that.”

Last season’s Irish Independent Arkle winner got a stone bruise and was found to be lame this month, which held him up and resulted in bookmakers removing him from the Seasons Holidays Queen Mother Champion Chase betting.

He was confirmed for both the Champion Chase and Ryanair Chase on Wednesday and Coral reintroduced him at 7-1 ‘with a run’ for the 2m championship contest.

He's going to be staying at 2 miles for the rest of this season hence why hes going for the Champion Chase and then next season either up to 2 1/2 or maybe even as far as 3 miles for next season

It may be that his best opportunity to win a championship race at the Festival is the Ryanair, but I can't see how he will improve for the step up, especially not on soft ground

A strongly-run, stiff two miles on decent ground are his ideal conditions I reckon and he is perfectly entitled to take his chance at in the Champion Chase. Stepping him up to three miles would be madness imo.

Oh I know that he is more entitled to take his chance in the Champion Chase and I think that he will run well, but I will think he could be even bettee over 2 1/2 on good ground next season

Is that ForPady you are talking about? What's your thought process re a step up in trip?

He did win an arkle but out of novice company at championship level, he isn't quick enough to win over the minimum trip

He is a nice big horse and I don't think a step up would inconvenience him at all. Tom Cooper said it himself that he would think a step up in trip would suit him at some stage.

The 2m 5f race at Aintree could suit him

I thought it would be until next season too. Although the 2 1/2 mile race around aintree (The Melling?) could be a good race for him

ATR report that McCoy is on Forpaddydeplasterer. Interesting to see whether Geraghty rides Big Zeb or whether he's claimed for Petit Robin.

What is the story with the Geraghty/Henderson agreement - can Henderson claim him above all others or is it a gentlemans agreement of taking each horse as they come?

I really don't know Galileo, but with news of McCoy looking elsewhere suggests to me the likelihood that Henderson has a jockey for Petit Robin, and I'd bresume it's BJ

Did everyone get that? Tony - that's Tony McCoy - definitely, totally, absolutely confirmed to ride FORPADYTHEPLASTERER. You heard it here last!

He did win an arkle but out of novice company at championship level, he isn't quick enough to win over the minimum trip

He is a nice big horse and I don't think a step up would inconvenience him at all. Tom Cooper said it himself that he would think a step up in trip would suit him at some stage.

The 2m 5f race at Aintree could suit him

I'm not so sure about that theory. He ran in novice chases over longer and didn't get home. didn't get home in the Cheltenham novice hurdle either. The step back in trip at a stiff track and on decent ground yielded them their biggest win. I think he needs good ground and a stiff track, and then needs to be ridden forcefully from the front. Said this to some of the syndicate when they were mulling over whether to step him up or bring him back in trip during his novice season. Thankfully they brought him back in trip. He doesn't strike me like Kicking King and War of Attrition who you just knew would appreciate the step up as they couldn't win over 2 miles. For Paddy has done what they couldn't.....win an Arkle.

Back