The Champion Chase 2010

I'm not so sure about that theory. He ran in novice chases over longer and didn't get home.

I see your point but I don't think you can say he struggled to get home. He finished a very good second to Cooldine in the PJ Moriarity, and Cooldine subsequently went on to rout the RSA field. Its horses for courses really but I do think that he would find in an awful lot easier to be comptitive in the Ryanair than this years QM

I too think he is a proper two miler - and it would be a case of taking on easier opposition in the Ryanair rather than being better suited to the demands of that race in comparison to the QM.

Why would Geragthy be bothered? Neither horse will come close to placing if Twist Magic runs to this season's form. Not a ride worth arguing about either way from his point of view.

I've taken the view of ignoring the favourite in this and have taken all I can each-way down to 13/2 that I can get on Kalahari King, who I've fancied for this since last year.

I think MM is a bigger cert than Big Buck's (which is going some) and am on at 6/4. However, I'll be looking at the 'w/o the fav' markets for a back-up. Kalahari King looks a strong contender for second place but there's usually one we forget about a bit (like Newmill) that ends up returning to form on the day at long odds.

I see your point but I don't think you can say he struggled to get home. He finished a very good second to Cooldine in the PJ Moriarity, and Cooldine subsequently went on to rout the RSA field. Its horses for courses really but I do think that he would find in an awful lot easier to be comptitive in the Ryanair than this years QM

I can see your point too but the decent Irish three milers generally run well over two but struggle. As soon as they are stepped up in trip, they show improvement. As I said, I use Kicking King and War of Attrition as prime examples and you could use Best Mate too I suppose. For Paddy has achieved more than them as a novice chaser. But it's conceivable he could do well over further now that's he's a little older.

Last edited:
Why would Geragthy be bothered? Neither horse will come close to placing if Twist Magic runs to this season's form. Not a ride worth arguing about either way from his point of view.

Oh dear.......I think most jocks would love to be on Big Zeb or For Paddy. Better to have a chance of winning than sitting out the back looking at another lad do it. But we don't know what the relationship is like. If it was Ruby for Nicholls and Mullins, he would not be riding Petit Robin.

I can't see how there is any significant form difference between Petit Robin and Big Zeb. There is a significant difference in hype, granted. Kalahari King and Twist Magic are well clear, and Master Minded could give everything a fence start and win.

Why would I take a match bet when I don't think there's much between them? It's like betting roulette! :)

Why would I take a match bet when I don't think there's much between them? It's like betting roulette! :)
11/10 Petit, 10/11 Beg Zeb.....there's now a difference :D So I give you £1.10 and you give me 90p......the value punters will be out for that if there's nothing between them

I would take the £1 at 11/10, but I would be sure Cantoris would charge me £2.50 for him to send my winnings over :D

I hope for your sake Big Zeb runs well (or more to the point, stays up and does himself justice) but I think all of a sudden, there is 1 potential top class 2 miler, one top class 2 miler who only has it to prove at Cheltenham, and 1 who is 2 levels or more above all the rest.

Saying all that, ForPady could be worth backing for a place at the right price, considering he won an Arkle and ran well at Sandown.

I think a pre-race lay on Big Zeb in running could be the value.....I have no doubt he'll be travelling very well until the inevitable clanger, just a matter of how late in the race it is..

It actually looks a pretty good Queen Mother on paper (relative to what it did at one stage) - it will be interesting to see what Master Minded does to them.

I've taken the view of ignoring the favourite in this and have taken all I can each-way down to 13/2 that I can get on Kalahari King, who I've fancied for this since last year.

I get the feeling Master Minded will shorten on the day and KK may drift.

Kalahari King seems the best choice after Master Minded but I also think Petit Robin could go well at a big price. He's around 20/1 at the mo

It actually looks a pretty good Queen Mother on paper (relative to what it did at one stage) - it will be interesting to see what Master Minded does to them.

I can see a few beating MM. I had intended back KK and BZ, dutched, to beat him but I might just lay him now which takes in For Paddy too.

I can see a few beating MM. I had intended back KK and BZ, dutched, to beat him but I might just lay him now which takes in For Paddy too.

On what basis do you think "a few" could beat MM, Cantoris? He is miles clear of everything on all known form.

On what basis do you think "a few" could beat MM, Cantoris? He is miles clear of everything on all known form.

I just think he has the toughest of the opponents of the short priced horses. If you told me after the race that either Big Zeb, Kalahari or For Paddy had won the Queen Mother in a photo finish with MM, I wouldn't be shocked. I'd be surprised if Dunguib or Big Bucks lost and Kauto can only really be beaten by one horse or himself. It's the number of decent horses against him that suggests to me that if there is a chink (and there have been before) then one of them will expose it. I'm not sure which one though. Big Zeb has proven form against him, Kalahari is the improver, For Paddy will love conditions if he's right. MM could bolt up but I'd prefer to take odds on about Dunguib that odds against on MM.

If MM runs to anything like his best form and stands up he'll win. But I nevertheless agree with Cantoris that MM looks worth taking on. I've gone for Kalahari King (who I'm very sweet on), but you could make a case for one or two others.

Even though I've backed Kalahari I'd quite like to see MM win.

Last edited:
I just think he has the toughest of the opponents of the short priced horses. If you told me after the race that either Big Zeb, Kalahari or For Paddy had won the Queen Mother in a photo finish with MM, I wouldn't be shocked. I'd be surprised if Dunguib or Big Bucks lost and Kauto can only really be beaten by one horse or himself. It's the number of decent horses against him that suggests to me that if there is a chink (and there have been before) then one of them will expose it. I'm not sure which one though. Big Zeb has proven form against him, Kalahari is the improver, For Paddy will love conditions if he's right. MM could bolt up but I'd prefer to take odds on about Dunguib that odds against on MM.
He has a fairly motley bunch of opponents in truth, and this from someone who recommended laying the Nicholls pair a few weeks ago. He looks more convincing than he did last year and the trainer has said that he wasn't right in himself at all last spring (in retrospect, of course). I'm resigned to having called this one wrong.

Back