The Champion Chase 2010

Any chance we've already long since seen the best of Master Minded? His form since THAT Champion Chase has been a long way below it. Not saying he was flattered there, but has it bottomed him to some degree? He'll continue to be priced up as the second coming but last year's form at Cheltenham and Punchestown doesn't suggest he's anywhere as far ahead of his contemporaries as his current odds.

Taking on Master Minded at the pace he jumps is a whole other ball game to taking on those he beat in soft ground at the weekend. For all that he dominated, I still couldn't have Big Zeb when he meets something genuinely top-class over fences.

for all I know about the game he would have beat master minded already at the end of last season in ireland bar making a hash of the last.

if his jumping does continue to improve - or his misake rate starts to dwindle - I see him a serious threat to MM to be honest.

I read a piece in the RP (extract from Paul N's book) that he (Master Minded) was injured in the build up to last year's Champion Chase and it probably affected his performance.

You are obviously entitled to your opinion which you have clearly expressed and that should be respected by all but there is plenty you need to know about these horses before you can say that everyone else is crazzeeeeee if they don't go along with your view.

I haven't said anyone is crazy if they don't go along with my view; I welcome debate, but would prefer it not to end with me being told an option doesn't need to make sense to me as I'm not an owner/Colm.

Also, I couldn't go a fiddlers what 'Colm' thinks, and if he thinks I am being disparaging to him, I'm sure he can come on here and defend his choice of options.

Any chance we've already long since seen the best of Master Minded? His form since THAT Champion Chase has been a long way below it. Not saying he was flattered there, but has it bottomed him to some degree? He'll continue to be priced up as the second coming but last year's form at Cheltenham and Punchestown doesn't suggest he's anywhere as far ahead of his contemporaries as his current odds.

I'm very much of that opinion, and will back accordingly this year.

I just wish there was a top class or potentially top class horse to give him a run for his money (I think Biz Zeb, jumping aside, is a small notch below) - I'd consider taking him on with Voy Por Ustedes in the Tingle Creek if I was King.

I think the 10 pounds Well Chief receives Sunday may well make things very interesting. Speaking of which, it's hard to decide whether he'll be better for his first run in 2 years (albeit 8 months ago now), or whether he'll find things tougher.

Agree with that to an extent, DJ. I still think he has a half-stone in hand, but I've laid a little bit at 2.08 (not too much though :D). I just don't think that Big Zeb will necessarily be the one to serve it up to him.

well chief isnt getting any younger. as much as I love him, and I do know him since he was a 2-year-old over here in germany, I think his best chances of beating the big boys are gone, to be honest. not that I wouldnt love to be wrong on that subject....

The Irish calendar is perfect for horses being aimed at Championship races at Cheltenham and Big Zeb could have a string of wins behind him come March. In the last ten years I doubt the Irish trained championship winners took in too many races in the UK.

Last edited:
I wouldn't send Big Zeb for the TC for the reasons Galileo gives but I don't agree that for most Irish trainers with a top 2m chaser would not go for it .

Its not a Tingle Creek though is it? Its a match with one of the highest rated horses in training.

I agree with this man. I backed him at a decent price for his first Champion and have been a big admirer since, but he now looks like a mere very good horse.

I think that's all he's ever been. To believe he was a mega star you had to buy into the fact that VPU was at or near the top of his game in the 08 QM. I personally don't think that horse has ever been at his best round Cheltenham. He won an Arkle he shouldn't have because of a stupid weight allowance, he won a weak as piss QM where the only other top horse fell early doors and then was beaten by an inferior horse when making jumping errors in the Ryanair.

I'm very much against Master Minded this year and wil probably just lay him nearer the day rather than look for a suitable opponent to punt.

I think Big Zeb is a bit like Klairon Davis in his jumping.....a bit in and out. I think Klairon ran down the field a few times in the Tingle Creek due to his jumping but he got his act together come Cheltenham. I think they gave up trying him at Sandown.

I can only remember Moscow Flyer and Sound Man winning or running well for the Irish in the Tingle Creek and the likes of Native Upmanship and Nickname didn't bother travelling over for it. I'm sure there are other decent Irish horses that could have run in it like Rathgar Beau, Hill Society and Central House but don't recall them going over.

Well, hopefully see you at tingle creek than Hamm... :)

Whatever the supposed merits of its status (i agree with Hamm anyway) it is the pre xmas race (and day) i savour most.

had to buy into the fact that VPU was at or near the top of his game in the 08 QM

Seem to recall that King had no excuses on or after the day. And he hasnt tackled him over 2m since

Whatever the supposed merits of its status (i agree with Hamm anyway) it is the pre xmas race (and day) i savour most.

I've been to the Tingle Creek a few times and it's a decent meeting. Really enjoyed it and Sandown is a fab track.

On a general note, Sandown must be one of the, if not the best jumps track to go visit. Can't imagine better viewing, the parade ring is great and easily accessible, and best of all, it's only a short train ride from London.:)

On a general note, Sandown must be one of the, if not the best jumps track to go visit. Can't imagine better viewing, the parade ring is great and easily accessible, and best of all, it's only a short train ride from London.:)

Great minds think alike and dopes seldom differ :D

Back