The Champion Hurdle 2010

Having backed Celestial Halo following his Wincanton romp, and Khyber Kim following his defeat of CH last weekend, I am now thoroughly confused by the Champion Hurdle.

The more I think about it, the more I am coming to the conclusion that Zaynar is the answer... They look like they are a pretty mediocre bunch (by that I don't mean that they are necessarily all rubbish, just that as they all keep beating each other there doesn't look to be a stand out performer, and they can't all be superstars, can they)?

I think that certainly could apply to last year's bunch and I would give Zaynar and the other novices from last year the edge with that in mind.

Not convinced by Hurricane Fly, but Go Native's form looks strongish, and Zaynar looks pretty solid too.

However, having already had two bets, I'll probably wait until after Xmas before reassessing...

The fact that Punjabi won last time and was placed the time before seems to indicate that the Champion standard is no worse than a typical running. The front three last time are that standard. So far Zaynar looks to be the only one that has matched this. Binocular is the one that we may see the most improvement from this time, in my opinion.

The fact that Punjabi won last time and was placed the time before seems to indicate that the Champion standard is no worse than a typical running. The front three last time are that standard .... Binocular is the one that we may see the most improvement from this time, in my opinion.

I agree with the first statement but I thought we'd seen a lot of improvement from CH at Wincanton with the promise of more to come. I still don't think we saw the same beast at Cheltenham. If I'm wrong I'm going to be seriously out of pocket.

I think using handicap form when trying to assess a top class hurdler or chaser is very, very risky, and will often lead one to incorrect conclusions.

Adding to that the fact CH's handicap win was early in the season (how many of his rivals were seriously hard fit) means its merit can be debated.

Hurricane Fly could be out for the season..

"He has a sprained suspensory ligament and Leopardstown is definitely out of the question. Therealso has to be a major doubt about him making the Champion Hurdle."

That's a real, real shame. I didn't have the same opinion of him as some (more looking for him to prove it first) but really hope he can get to Cheltenham fit enough to do himself justice though it sounds a remote possibility to say the least.

I think he is a probable rather than possible top class horse. But it is indeed a real shame that he might not get the chance to prove it.

My use of possible was whether or not he will line up at Cheltenham - sorry if i didn't make that clear.

No worries, you did make it clear you were referring to his chances of getting to Cheltenham.

I would agree with your thought that he is probably going to be top class but the only reason i've been against him is he was priced up earlier on (and even now) as if he had already proven it. Hopefully this won't leave long term damage.

Hurricane Fly could be out for the season..

"He has a sprained suspensory ligament and Leopardstown is definitely out of the question. Therealso has to be a major doubt about him making the Champion Hurdle."

Not good at all. Suspensory ligaments are a bitch... just when you think you've got them back they go again. Sometimes they can patch them up okay, but this is not good for his long-term future... Let's hope we haven't seen the best of him.

I'm still waiting on the full entries to go up on the RP site, Steve, so if you know them, be a good chap and sling them up here.

Celestial Halo has to be considered a doubtful runner you would think, though why would they stick him in after it's re-opened, if they weren't semi-serious about running him? I find it a bit odd, to be honest.

Celestial Halo has to be considered a doubtful runner you would think, though why would they stick him in after it's re-opened, if they weren't semi-serious about running him? I find it a bit odd, to be honest.

I presume this is related to the possibility of the race being switched to Cheltenham.

Not sure I agree with the assertion that CH would have no chance at Kempton. Looks like he's got enough speed to me...

He won his maiden over 10f on the flat, and held entries in the Dante and the Derby at that stage.

Willie Mullins admits he is unsure when his star hurdler Hurricane Fly will return to racecourse action after suffering a sprained suspensory ligament.

The son of Montjeu enjoyed a fantastic novice campaign over obstacles, registering three Grade One successes at Fairyhouse, Leopardstown and Punchestown.

The five-year-old was beaten into third by Solwhit and Muirhead on his seasonal reappearance, but had been due to renew rivalries with that pair in next week’s December Festival Hurdle.

That is now off the agenda and he is almost 20-1 for the Champion Hurdle on Betfair having been favourite for much of the summer.

“We worked him over the weekend and then when we pulled him out yesterday morning he was lame,” said Mullins.

“It’s obviously very disappointing and we aren’t sure yet when he will come back. I’m not sure if he can receive any treatment or whether he just needs time. I’ll just leave all that to the vets.”

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/racing/eymhsncwojcw/#ixzz0aQXyaIVQ

Back