The Champion Hurdle 2010

I was disappointed with Binocular today but he didn't enjoy the ground. If you watch the re-run, you will see him nodding as he hits slow patches of ground - a good sign they aren't enjoying it.

Little gems of insight such as these set this place apart.

Thanks for that, jinnyj.

I do not see any reason why Binocular did not handle the ground today considering he has done so in the past.

Zaynar certainly looks a worthy favourite now but I would think Starluck was far better suited to Kempton than he was at Cheltenham. I know I am very much blinded but everytime I see Go Native I think back to his novice clash with Hurricane Fly tomorrow last year and what the Mullins horse did to him.

I would like to see Zaynar run over 2 miles before the Champion - I would love to see him run in the Irish Champion.

I do agree in a way Gal but then, it could be harsh to single out Go Native on the basis of one run - I mean, do we now say the same about Voler La Vedette for what she did to Go Native at Down Royal? I'm a huge Hurricane fan but I think it's harsh on GN to judge him for that run behind HF. We're talking about a Champion Hurdle with numerous question marks. With Go Native, I'm thinking. Will he handle a fast pace? Yes. Does he need one? No. Can he handle the track? Yes. Is he ground dependent? He's versatile enough but Cheltenham conditions should suit

Of course, the biggest question is, Is he good enough to win the race? And the jury is still out there. But, heck, at this stage, there's far less question marks about him than some of the others. A free each way bet in my opinion.

I do agree in a way Gal but then, it could be harsh to single out Go Native on the basis of one run - I mean, do we now say the same about Voler La Vedette for what she did to Go Native at Down Royal? I'm a huge Hurricane fan but I think it's harsh on GN to judge him for that run behind HF. We're talking about a Champion Hurdle with numerous question marks. With Go Native, I'm thinking. Will he handle a fast pace? Yes. Does he need one? No. Can he handle the track? Yes. Is he ground dependent? He's versatile enough but Cheltenham conditions should suit

Of course, the biggest question is, Is he good enough to win the race? And the jury is still out there. But, heck, at this stage, there's far less question marks about him than some of the others. A free each way bet in my opinion.

Fair points but the comparison with Colm Murphys mare does not suit as Go Native clearly did not run his race that day (finished punch drunk in heavy ground) where as there were no obvious excuses behind Hurricane Fly with conditions to suit and him giving the second and third a good beating that day as well.

Go Native has clearly improved since last year, but when you look back at that one run, and then see what Hurricane Fly did at Punchestown - the sky really is the limit for the horse but for injury.

But I'll leave it at that and give Go Native his dues from here on in!

Binocular is just not good enough.

I was impressed with the winner - should make for some viewing at Cheltenham.

No, I think you're wrong. Binocular is nothing like the horse we saw last season and seems to either have not trained on or 'is gone'. He's out of the CH picture for sure now.

Binocular appears to have gone at the game for now. Daft excuses about the ground suddenly not suiting him now when he has won on soft, won on good to soft and been beaten only a length into second in a Listed race on heavy are straw clutching. Next!

I was disappointed with Binocular today but he didn't enjoy the ground. If you watch the re-run, you will see him nodding as he hits slow patches of ground - a good sign they aren't enjoying it.

Interesting. His jumping wasn't anywhere near as good as last year either - he seemed to be running down his hurdles in the straight and made a bad mistake three out . I was surprised he was so close at the finish the way the front two went past him .

Can't wait to see Zaynar back at 2 miles . He and the current champ look the ones to be on at present.

Solwhit won't be winning any Champion Hurdles. If Sublimity hadn't flattened out/hung in behind, there would have been nothing between them, and Sublimity isn't near the top of this season's hurdlers.

Sublimity still retains lots of ability I think but is becoming more and more of a thinker. You say isn't near the top of this season's hurdlers, but he's finished second to the joint-second favourites for the Champion on both starts this season.

In messy races.

I'd have Zaynar, Go Native, Punjabi, Celestial Halo, Khyber Kim and possibly Starluck and Binocular above Sublimity. Solwhit would fall in there somewhere as well though he remains a bit of a mystery.

Sublimity showed last year against Punjabi at Newcastle that he is a force to be dealt with in these small fields where the emphasis is on speed. That certainly would have aplied to Leopardstown ‘s inside track today where they walked for most of the first half of the race. I have not been that impressed with Solwhit up to this but I was quite taken with that and how well on top of things he was in the finish.

think it was as good a performance as we have seen and really impressed with solwhits jumping, very efficient and fluent, good little horse. remember his dam v well from germany and always fun to watch the offspring.

Solwhit won't be winning any Champion Hurdles. If Sublimity hadn't flattened out/hung in behind, there would have been nothing between them, and Sublimity isn't near the top of this season's hurdlers.

Do you honestly think its less likely Solwhit will be winning the Champion Hurdle after today.As a November Handicap winner he will be well suited by the strong pace at the festival.

How is Zaynar not clear favourite for this now? Cape Tribulation, Starluck and now Karabak have all franked his form in the last few days. Taken 6.4

Back from the track, and was very taken by Solwhit today. Had to take the initiative off a slow enough pace and, as Luke rightly says, he'll definitely favour the stronger pace at Chelt. When Davy asked him for an effort, he pulled away from Sublimity who is really suited by the track at Leopardstown - although could have done without the rain. I don't think Solwhit was all out and I'd be far keener on his chances now than I was before.

He's got a real chance in an open year

Can't see Solwhit and Celestial halo out of the first 4 home at this stage.
If sublimity turns up fresh and gets his ground they better look over their shoulders on the run in.

In messy races.

I'd have Zaynar, Go Native, Punjabi, Celestial Halo, Khyber Kim and possibly Starluck and Binocular above Sublimity. Solwhit would fall in there somewhere as well though he remains a bit of a mystery.

If you want to take a view on Zaynar and Go native that's fair enough I would suggest putting a line through the Down Royal Race ( Go native ) and the Newcastle race (Solwhit) for reasonable doubts about the form of those two races .

Your list (not mine) should than read Zaynar, Go native, Solwhit, Punjabi, Celestial halo, Sublimity etc Solwhits form is solid .

I dont think it's less likely after today, he just doesnt look like a Champion hurdler winner to me at all.

It's a muddle of a race and he clearly has a chance, but I have quite a few i'd rather back before him.

That's fair enough Hamm I suppose, you never know if they look like one til the day and the fact he hasn't been to Cheltenham before means there's a bit of guesswork there with Solwhit. But he should like the pace, the ground and the trip...I made a similar point about Go Native - there's less question marks about him than some of the others.

Maybe it's old fashioned cynicism about a 5 year old, or maybe it's the fact that I still think Geraghty may ride Punjabi, but I think Zaynar is favourite by default rather than anything he's done. The fact that his form this year has been franked by those behind is fair enough - but it's no shock to me that those races were in or around the two and a half mile mark. I'm still not convinced he has the speed. I look at last year's Triumph and I still can't help but think - but Mourad was third.

The default part is pretty fair.

You would imagine in a world free of pre-conceptions, either Go Native, Khyber Kim or Punjabi would be favourite.

Quevega is 142/1 on Betfair tonight. If (as seems likely) Hurricane Fly is a NR will Mullins re-route her to the Champion given the nature of the race this year?

Is it fair to say that the Leopardstown Christmas hurdle, like the Kempton equivelant, is a useless Champion Hurdle trial because its run on the inside course? Id have thought beating Sublimity today the way Sowlhit did was as good as could have been expected. The Byrnes horse commands maximum respect.

Back