The Champion Hurdle 2010

In the Irish Field last year he was asked who was a horse to look out for he said Quel Esperit this was before his debut i listened to him that time and made a nice sum of money.You dont listen to everything a trainer says just some points and they can be vital

I'm never sure if he tells things as they are. If he says he fancies one I'd fancy it to get beat. If he plays down the chances of one I'd watch for it being punted.

Would disagree entirely. From my memory he's generally on the mark and very open. Cousin Vinny's problems traveling over for last years Supreme springs to mind. He was very forthcoming and honest with the media. Also when asked of his best chance at the festival he said Quevega, who skated up. Just two that spring to mind.

Is there a trainer anywhere in the world who is 100% open with media and punters all the time.I'm not naive enough to think Willie is telling everything he knows to the papers but what he does say is close enough to the truth for me.

I don't think there is and I'd be pretty sure there are plenty a lot worse than Mullins.

My view is probably clouded/influenced by someone I know who follows the yard closely (backed Cooldine at 33s for the RSA last year) who tends to have a keen nose for when he's putting us away.

The next time I speak to him, I'll ask him if he can recall any very glaring examples.

I don't think there is and I'd be pretty sure there are plenty a lot worse than Mullins.

My view is probably clouded/influenced by someone I know who follows the yard closely (backed Cooldine at 33s for the RSA last year) who tends to have a keen nose for when he's putting us away.

The next time I speak to him, I'll ask him if he can recall any very glaring examples.

What's wrong with asking Galileo straight out on here? :D

MDH I feel will be a Gold Cup winner but imo there is no way he will win a champion hurdle however bad the field maybe. If you look at his run last year at cheltenham he was first off the bridle of the big three and looked in trouble before his engines kicked in over 2m 5f. Im being completely biased here but cant see past Zaynar now without Hurricane Fly.

MDH I feel will be a Gold Cup winner but imo there is no way he will win a champion hurdle however bad the field maybe. If you look at his run last year at cheltenham he was first off the bridle of the big three and looked in trouble before his engines kicked in over 2m 5f. Im being completely biased here but cant see past Zaynar now without Hurricane Fly.

Whilst I don't think he'll win the champion your reading of the Ballymore is wrong imo. He jumped the second last and then rather than going for a gap that wasn't there Walsh held him for a few strides then when he asks them he picks up and goes past them. Don't listen to Cattermole's commentary, he calls it wrong.

Agreed Aragorn......but he didn't exactly finish like he would benefit from a whole lot further than 2m5f, imo.

I have MDH as a doubtful stayer over 3m+ myself.

I agree Grassy. The horse has bags of pace and now i'm thinking about it properly Karabak and Diamond Harry give a good indication of his level of form in relation to Zaynar (over 2m) and Big Bucks' (over 3m) which would give him a squeak in the champion. Realt Dubh and Donna's palm have also helped to boost his form. You'd want to see him run beforehand but I love this horse and hope he turns up somewhere this season!

I think you're both spot on, and i think his route to the top over fences should be aimed long term at the champion chase.

He is a Gold Cup horse to me....he finished well enough up the hill after racing far too keenly the whole way.

He ploughed through the mud in testing conditions at Navan and Naas with stamina not being an issue.

Shame Punjabi won't get his chance at the Welsh Champion now that it won't be rescheduled. He'll be tripping over Binocular and Zaynar to get a run now.

On the plus side, there's a chance we'll get to see them against each other pre-Cheltenham, that can't be a bad thing.

Back