The Champion Hurdle 2010

I'm really struggling to see what exactly is 'tricky'.

I wish this charade would stop and he would run the trio in the best races for each of them. It's really not very complicated.

Keeping Zaynar beyond 2m at this stage is best for him I think. The way the field pottered round in races like the Fighting Fifth or a race like the Kingwell certainly won't bring the best out of him. A well-run race at 2m will though.

If I was involved with Zaynar, I'd rather take my chance in a race that looks wide open over a trip that I'd be sure to be seeing out thoroughly than take on a horse that looks unbeatable should he give his running over a trip my horse isn't bred to stay.

Agree with that to the extent that the Champion is his logical target. What was the problem with running Zaynar in the Bula though? Thorough test guaranteed by Celestial Halo - would have suited his Champion preparation more than the Relkeel surely. Only thing I can think of is that Punjabi (who was undercooked anyway) was down to run in that.

Wouldn't be on if I owned the horse is all I'm saying.

Keeping Zaynar beyond 2m at this stage is best for him I think. The way the field pottered round in races like the Fighting Fifth or a race like the Kingwell certainly won't bring the best out of him. A well-run race at 2m will though.

If I was involved with Zaynar, I'd rather take my chance in a race that looks wide open over a trip that I'd be sure to be seeing out thoroughly than take on a horse that looks unbeatable should he give his running over a trip my horse isn't bred to stay.

You may well be right. Henderson may have different ideas as he already has two decent shots at the Champion. There is of course one (or two) very good horses in the Stayers, but as usual the Champion looks to have greater strenth in depth. I be a bit torn but probably want to go for the Champion if I had him.

Taking the case of Zaynar ... lets say he doesn't quite do it in the Champion Hurdle, Henderson has wasted much of the season with him by running him in the wrong races when he should be contesting the Grade 1s, such as the Bula (as TS said) or even the xmas Hurdle. Failing that, send him to Ireland over xmas. If he were to get injured early March, his season would have been a real waste (for goodness sake, they are now talking about bringing him to Kelso just to keep him away from his stablemates! It's nonsense!), all because of the trainer's desire to keep his horses apart.

Taking the case of Zaynar ... lets say he doesn't quite do it in the Champion Hurdle, Henderson has wasted much of the season with him by running him in the wrong races when he should be contesting the Grade 1s, such as the Bula (as TS said) or even the xmas Hurdle. Failing that, send him to Ireland over xmas. If he were to get injured early March, his season would have been a real waste (for goodness sake, they are now talking about bringing him to Kelso just to keep him away from his stablemates! It's nonsense!), all because of the trainer's desire to keep his horses apart.

I'd agree that a scenario of him not quite doing it in the Champion seems the likeliest, so would broadly agree with you. Although in Henderson's defence it seems that he wanted to go to Ireland with him but was frustrated in this.

What's stopping him going to Sandown?

He probably doesn’t want to bugger JP off by getting Binocular beat (again) by something from the same yard (adding insult to injury). He’d want to make sure Binocular has every chance.

But by doing that he is sending the Champion Hurdle favourite to Kelso!

If I was VC and the other owners of Zaynar, I would tell Henderson to aim their horse at the most suitable races for their horse, not for JPs, or else I would remove the horse from the yard.

All he's had this season are effectively prep races because he's being avoiding his more illustrious stablemates - when exactly does he get to race in a proper Grade 1 against Champion Hurdle quality horses?

Will the pace at Kelso be mildly beneficial to the horse? Will he face horses who will give him a proper race and uncover just exactly how good the horse is?

How many Champion hurdlers prep at Kelso (no offence intended) when there is a much better option much closer to the yard?

But by doing that he is sending the Champion Hurdle favourite to Kelso!

If I was VC and the other owners of Zaynar, I would tell Henderson to aim their horse at the most suitable races for their horse, not for JPs, or else I would remove the horse from the yard.

That of course would be your prerogative. Zaynar's connections may not necessarily feel like that.

All he's had this season are effectively prep races because he's being avoiding his more illustrious stablemates - when exactly does he get to race in a proper Grade 1 against Champion Hurdle quality horses?

Will the pace at Kelso be mildly beneficial to the horse? Will he face horses who will give him a proper race and uncover just exactly how good the horse is?

How many Champion hurdlers prep at Kelso (no offence intended) when there is a much better option much closer to the yard?

Indeed if they are just bringing him to a three runner race over 2 miles at Kelso they would be better of sticking to the Cleeve Hurdle instead...more meaningful.

I am surprised JP was not keen to bring Binocular over to Leopardstown.

Apparently Henderson said something to the effect of why go to Ireland when you can run in England. (Perhaps because it's the Irish Champion Hurdle, would have been the answer.)

Easy one this, the Champion Hurdle.

Can't answer this one fully as haven't seen the likely opposition, but hard to envisage a scenario where it will do him any harm. Don't think the purpose of any prep race is to show the full hand. I still don't see how a race over the minimum trip that may end up run at a farcical gallop will aid Zaynar's chance in the Champion Hurdle.

Apparently Henderson said something to the effect of why go to Ireland when you can run in England. (Perhaps because it's the Irish Champion Hurdle, would have been the answer.)

I would love to ask him then why go all the way to Kelso when you have a perfectly good race at Sandown? :p

Back