The Champion Hurdle 2010

he was ridden to the line though Gal..basically ...was he a lot better than the result?..not sure what happened..he dossed real bad after looking an easy winner

The Royal Bond took something of a knock last week didn't it? He has looked good in keep beating the same horses though to be fair.

he was ridden to the line though Gal..basically ...was he a lot better than the result?..not sure what happened..he dossed real bad after looking an easy winner

I have no doubt the jockey was trying hard...just not the horse!!! If I could be sure that it was dossing and not stamina I think he is the one to beat in the Champion as I can see him cruising ala Harchibald but going on those extra few strides. The likes of Celestial Halo and Zaynar are the types that he should do well racing against as long as he fully sees out the trip as he is the type of horse to past them so quickly they would not have a chance to react.

It's a strange one Go Native. He didn't doss at Newcastle, the first 2 that day were maintaining their advantage over the stronger stayer Solwhit but both at Kempton and in the Supreme, he's seemed to virtually pull himself up after looking much the best in both races at the last flight. Then you also have the capitulation off the bridle to throw into the mix despite having race fitness on his side at Down Royal. If I was his jockey, I'd be wanting a stiff drink before getting on his back at Cheltenham.

Have you backed Dunguib for it Gearoid?

No, I Just find it odd he is never mentioned when a horse only a few years ago with a very similar profile was sent off the 5-2f in a champion hurdle that was equally as murky with regards to the form.

Wouldn't disagree with that necessarily. But by that notion, that would make Punjabi the ONE to beat then, not Celestial Halo surely? There isn't a one to beat in the CH this year. It's very open and deserves to be a 5/1 the field race with various pro's and cons about the whole field. Can't understand why anyone would want a bet in the race at present given the prices on offer.

I've said before that the market should be 5/1 the field; was merely commenting that, as far as the whole 'one to beat' to label can be apllied to be any in the field, the principles from last year's Champion were entitled to the mantle - as worthless as I agree it is in the context of this division.

I had Binocular as the most likely winner of the race at the start of the year (backed him in September at 6's) as I thought he was the most likely of last year's principles to improve on that run. His two runs this year have seriously shaken that confidence though. I must admit I wouldn't be entirely comfortable labelling Punjabi as absolutely the 'one to beat' (though hardly any more uncomfortable than anything else tbh), but he looks the only bet at 12's as the market stands.

Oh and by the way, of those that are deemed 'contenders' the two highest time ratings on my figures both belong to Celestial Halo, the higher of them having been gained at Wincanton, when he won without being hard ridden and when reportedly likely to come on considerably for the run.

Last edited:
With him though, if he goes too fast trying to burn off the speed horses he'll run out of puff and if he's only involved in a steady pace(for a Champion Hurdle) he'll get burned at the death. He's really only interesting to place for me.

If he's truly capable of hitting the level I believe he can, it won't matter that much what the others do. He'll be well clear.

Can we?

He said Kauto Star was expected to improve a lot for Haydock. In fact, I reckon he's usually spot on when he tells us these things in advance.

I just wonder if CH needs more time between races than he got before Cheltenham.

In that case, I'd accept that he'd had enough time so I'd want to hear an alternative reason for the defeat emerge from the yard.

The idea that a bridle horse is the "one to beat" at Cheltenham is a strange one. Also, the idea that one of Meades is a cheltenham good thing is even stranger!

I backed GN Saturday, but that is no CH winner running like that

Bit tiresome the sneeering at nichols "hot air" by some. Didnt he also point out What a friend monday too? And DO is right, he was very clear and communicative about Kauto

Is this the one sport in the world where followers were rather told nothing about what goes on behind the scenes? Would some rather Stoute type information than Nichols?

What is especially stupid about such attitudes is that it is clear that a trainer is putting his head on the block by being open whereas supposedly "clever" trainers who say fck all have it both ways dont they? Nichols gets one prediction wrong and it is all "hot air" as if the sport is 100% predictable anyway.

Last edited:
Having mused over a few things in the last 12 hours, I decided to take out some ante-post insurance on the Champion Hurdle.

If people are right and if Celestial Halo was 100% last time, he won't win the big one. But Khyber Kim probably will, so I took a bit of the 12/1.

Clive I do not think anyone said Go Native was the one to beat...

As for Nicholls again no one is having a go at him regarding Celestial Halo needing the run - clearly it was just a mistake.

thought you did Gal! Forgiven then

The "more hot air" quote about Nichols is "having a go" isnt it? In a general sense?

I backed CH after Wincaton too DO and i agree that the form of that is being way too easily dismissed (very convenient to assume that about 10 runners "needed the race...) but frankly hes still about the price he should be. He may just be a bit in and out, but last run was what you see is what you get i think

But hes still the type to be bang there on the big day

Zaynar to drop down to two miles next month at Sandown....same race Celestial Halo won last year. Great news to see him back at two miles before Cheltenham.

I was strong enough about Go Native but wouldn't suggest he's the one to beat. I just think there are less question marks about him than some of the others. I know you point out the Meade aspect and the bridle horse aspect but Harchibald couldn't even win a County Hurdle at Cheltenham - Go Native went and won the Supreme last year and I think he's a bit tougher and genuinely idles in front - with Archy there was also a stamina question mark as well.

I respect the front two from last year, but believe the new crop are better...all in all, a fascinating race

Usually a small field and a muddling race at Sandown. Wasn't Rooster Booster deposed as fav after failing to impress there. No surprise to me to see Zaynar either get beat or fail to impress there. Might look to lay off some of my position on him and perhaps back it back if he does indeed drift.

I doubt it. I think he should go to Wincanton although the Irish Champion would be a better preperation for Cheltenhan. And as I on the thread, I will be upset if Dunguib is not given an entry.

Usually a small field and a muddling race at Sandown. Wasn't Rooster Booster deposed as fav after failing to impress there.

I think the year RB won at Sandown it was a small field and the ground was very heavy. He just scrambled home that day and, as you say, got a negative reaction in the market (which I took full advantage of :cool:) I'm not sure he was ever favourite in the ante-post market, though.

Back