The Champion Hurdle 2010

Easy one this, the Champion Hurdle.

Can't answer this one fully as haven't seen the likely opposition, but hard to envisage a scenario where it will do him any harm. Don't think the purpose of any prep race is to show the full hand. I still don't see how a race over the minimum trip that may end up run at a farcical gallop will aid Zaynar's chance in the Champion Hurdle.

I think there is every chance the horse could sulk or race lazily if thrown into the fast pace of a 2 mile Champion Hurdle if not well prepared.

People point to Istabraq and Hardy Eustace being stayers that dropped down but they also campaigned at 2 miles at some stage before their Champion Hurdle succeses.

I think the difference between 2 1/4 and 2 miles is negligible, and besides, the pace will most likely be slower again at Kelso.

The other side of that argument if you think his temperament is less than 100%, is that you don't want to go to the well too often. If they can keep ticking over with easy pickings against lesser opposition and then rev him up back down in trip and with cheekpieces on, then there is a greater chance of it working the once, than continually so.

As backers of Detroit City will no doubt testify!

We should also remember that Zaynar is a young horse. They may well not want to expose him to the teeth of battle at the highest level before it is necessary (or he is fully ready) to do so.

We should also remember that Zaynar is a young horse. They may well not want to expose him to the teeth of battle at the highest level before it is necessary (or he is fully ready) to do so.

That (and DJ's previous post) is a plausible thought I suppose.

What do we expect of Celestial Halo on Sunday in Ireland?

Henderson: "It's easier to stay in England and I am 99.9 per cent certain Punjabi will go to Haydock. It was Afsoun’s race really, but both of them will go there."
…99.9%, so he’s not sure then.:)

Other options for Zaynar it appears:

Henderson said: "I want to talk to the team about Zaynar but I am quite keen on the Morebattle over two miles two and there is also the National Spirit [February 28] at Fontwell.

If I was Zaynar I would like to know if I had a Champion Hurdler or a Stayers Hurdler.

If I was Zaynar I don't think I'd be bothered at all.

However, as far as Zaynar's owners are concerned, the impression given is that they are confident, as is the trainer, that he is up to Champion Hurdle class and that the three-miler has never been a serious option. Henderson has talked all along about refitting the cheekpieces to sharpen the horse up when he drops back in trip and it would be very surprising in my view if a strongly-run race over two miles wasn't right up his street.

If I was Zaynar I don't think I'd be bothered at all.

However, as far as Zaynar's owners

Fair point! :D

As for the rest....I disagree. I think there always has to be doubts about a Triumph Hurdle horse sticking to two miles the following season particularly when the horse is from an Aga Khan family full of stamina and that the horse has already shown himself to race lazily on occasions.

The fact they feel the need to keep the cheekpieces off him right up to the Champion tells alot in my opinion, and not of utter confidence in the horse's speed or temperament.

The fact they feel the need to keep the cheekpieces off him right up to the Champion tells alot in my opinion, and not of utter confidence in the horse's speed or temperament.

The curse of Daylami. If it comes to a battle he's screwed. No offence meant to the owner.

Again not being biased but I do feel Zaynar will find off the bridle he scrapped with Walkon up that cheltenham hill last year in the triumph. The cheekpieces are cos he is a lazy bugger probably finding it al too easy at the moment!

There's no evidence to support that. In fact, the evidence suggests the direct opposite.

It's just an opinion based on what other Daylami's have done. Ebaziyan came up that hill once.Ebadiyan looked like he would until be decided to 'exit stage left'.It's not based on just two horses. I just don't trust Daylami's.

The Triumph Hurdle seems a pretty difficult call this year - the odds are pretty long across the board. Carlito Brigante is heavily tipped in this Cheltenham Festival betting guide, but given he should do well at Musselburgh next month it's worth backing before the odds fall shorter.

Irish Champion Field...

[FONT=r_ansi]006 Bahrain Storm [/FONT]
[FONT=r_ansi]014 Celestial Halo [/FONT]
[FONT=r_ansi]007 De Valira [/FONT]
[FONT=r_ansi]011 Donnas Palm [/FONT]
[FONT=r_ansi]005 Solwhit (FR) [/FONT]
[FONT=r_ansi]003 Sublimity (FR) [/FONT]
[FONT=r_ansi]009 Won In The Dark [/FONT]
[FONT=r_ansi]001 Torphichen (GB[/FONT]

Back