The Champion Hurdle 2010

It's one of those races where you look at the prices and know you should back Celestial Halo but can't help feel it will be a value loser!

I think Solwhit is impressive because he's so versatile. Where's the obvious flaw in him? A slow run pace caught him out at Newcastle, but there's no danger of that at Cheltenham.

Jumped well, travelled well and went clear after the last with his ears pricked. Not the type of horse to be flashy so that was impressive in my book.

My Diamond Harry comment was a bit mischievous Harry - I was just very disappointed by him at Cheltenham last year.

It's one of those races where you look at the prices and know you should back Celestial Halo but can't help feel it will be a value loser!

Spot on, dj.

I'm pretty gutted that Celestial Halo hasn't gone on since Wincanton and I can only hope that they find the key to him in time for the big one.

I'm starting to clutch at straws and can't say I've given up hope completely.

I went down to the bookie's to watch the race. I saw that Tom Segal said 'there is a school of thought' that Celestial Halo didn't run to form in the Boylesports and the owner was quoted as saying they thought maybe they'd done too much with him in the run up to that race so they've gone easier on him. I need to hope he needed the run today.

That race was a waste of time for me.Hope Donna's Palm goes for the Champion Hurdle now i thought that he should have gone earlier in that race today

They were trying a different training routine on the basis that they wondered of they'd overdone it before. If there's a time to get beat it was today rather than in March.

He was beat turning for home. That's what makes me think he might have needed it.

I've stated all along I went low with my ratings for last year's Champion Hurdle, which now appears well justified. It was the Wincanton form that caught my attention, and that's been franked over and over by others.

The consolation is it wasn't his running. Ruby didn't look happy at any stage, he was never really travelling smoothly and he was spending too long in the air at his hurdles. Given he also hung in the Bula, I wonder if he may have an as yet undiagnosed small problem.

Got to love the way Solwhit picks up and runs all the way to the line.

Ladbrokes insane to be a standout 6/1 at present.

I think Celestial Halo could have been camapigned as a Stayers horse if Big Bucks in another stable,

today (158+) obviously he didnt run to his best but for me is a 163/164 horse and Solwhit posted today something like 169+.

I have also higher than celestial Halo now horses like
Medermit 165p
Zaynar` 168p
Khyber King 165+

Go Native (161+) and Donnas Palm (161p) can also improve and past him.

Last edited:
Back