The Champion Hurdle 2010

Just to clarify - I am a fan of the horse, but not at the price, and am glad to see he has so many fans on here who think he is bomb, bullet or atom bomb proof. He is not, and he will be a horse to lay at an appropriate stage during the season due to the fact people have gone half a step too early with this horse.

How many Champion Hurdles has Willie Mullins won, or serious challengers even? This isn't a sarcastic question - I don't go back that far in NH.

8 pounds is weight for age. It is not receiving weight.

Championship events are where it counts.

Kempes and Riverside Theatre also beat Go Native that day. You are grasping at straws if you are taking that form literally; it just doesn't add up.

What about at Christmas? I agree about the WFA but Binocular is not the type of horse that you would think should really have needed the allowance.

HF indeed very impressive though I don't believe that was the same Go Native who won the Supreme. Let me say I believe he is vastly superior to Go Native, but that is more as I believe last year's was a really weak Supreme Novices.

8 pounds is weight for age. It is not receiving weight.

Championship events are where it counts.

Kempes and Riverside Theatre also beat Go Native that day. You are grasping at straws if you are taking that form literally; it just doesn't add up as Go Native's true running.

Straws yer sister - you are the one who suggested Binocular had "considerably better form" as a novice.

Yes, and I stand by that, based, as I've said already, on the fact his came in Championship races. :)

Yes, and I stand by that, based, as I've said already, on the fact his came in Championship races. :)

Championship yer sister......Hurricane Fly won three Grade 1's last year. What are they, if not championship races?

OK, let me guess - they don't count because they weren't at Cheltenham....duh!

You don't work for Channel 4 by any chance?

What's this yer sister business? :p

No, I don't consider them Championship events - these, to me at least, are races at Cheltenham, Aintree or Punchestown.

Are you in a tiff because a cover fell off one of your Chaser & Hurdlers? :)

So....therefore....when Hurricane Fly won the "championship" novices hurdle at Punchestown, he was.......in fact.......running in and winning a race you consider to be a "championship" race by your very own definition?

And mullering the Supreme Novices winner for the second time in two races - without coming off the bridle to do so.

The "sister" thing is a homage to an old pal from Raheny. :)

Apologies, I didn't intend to include P in my post, but yes, you are right. :o

For me, Punchestown is a mish mash, with some horses often long gone over the top, and I don't put a lot of weight into certain races - I think the NH calendar would be better off with Punchestown after Cheltenham, and Aintree where Punchestown currently is - just a thought.

Look, clearly he's a seriously good horse, and has a good chance of progressing to be a Champion Hurdle contender. But, for me, people have assumed he has already made that progression, and factored this into his price. For me, he still has something to prove and is too short at current odds for the CH.

I was more impressed with Cooldine in terms of Novices last season.

Hurricane Fly might well be the second coming, and good luck to those with fancy prices on him having spotted his potential early, but right now, he's an absolutely vile price considering he still has to improve about a stone to win an average Champion Hurdle.

I was all over HF last year, after being alerted to him by sharp minds on here. The price is all wrong, though. I think Euro is on to it with Celestial Halo. 14s is a good price at this stage. But his point about 10s being better in March is also valid.

Binocular reminds me of Black Jack Ketchum. I have a theory that he is soft inside and that after one or two beatings he will throw in the towel.

I don't think he has to improve anything like as much as a stone, DJ - it's ten pounds tops, and he looks like he can make that kind of improvement readily.

Not defending his price either, and tend to agree that Binocular is better value at present.

Solwhit at 9's is even better than that.

Quevega and Go Native are not top, top class, imho.
At worst Quevega is 3 1/2 lengths behind a Champion Hurdler in Punjabi (she'll be getting the same weight allowance in March as she did at Punchestown and IMO given her size and build will be better suited to good ground) and at best you could probably argue that on a line through United she'd be even closer than that.

Hurricane Fly might well be the second coming, and good luck to those with fancy prices on him having spotted his potential early, but right now, he's an absolutely vile price considering he still has to improve about a stone to win an average Champion Hurdle.

My point exactly. What do you make of Binocular's chances DJ?

Apologies, I didn't intend to include P in my post, but yes, you are right. :o

For me, Punchestown is a mish mash, with some horses often long gone over the top, and I don't put a lot of weight into certain races - I think the NH calendar would be better off with Punchestown after Cheltenham, and Aintree where Punchestown currently is - just a thought.

Look, clearly he's a seriously good horse, and has a good chance of progressing to be a Champion Hurdle contender. But, for me, people have assumed he has already made that progression, and factored this into his price. For me, he still has something to prove and is too short at current odds for the CH.

I was more impressed with Cooldine in terms of Novices last season.

Here "Hamm" in another thread you told me to ignore the flat as I'n obviously not a fan.....may i suggest you stick to the all weather for the rest of the year....and leave the proper racing to the grown ups. If Hurricane Fly makes it to Chelts this season...he wins...and wins easy! Its that simple...Bini wont even see his arse never mind smell it.

So, by your rationale, anyone with a differing opinion on a horse needs to stop posting on that form of the game? I suggest you go back to Betfair or TRF.

Not at all Hamm - unlike yourself I'm happy to have a debate with anyone on any subject..... but in the space of about 3 posts you've managed to tie yourself up in knots and show an ignorance for country-wide racing. You can't ignore races in Ireland just coz you think they are not as good as the Cheltenham events. You'll pick up more form "tips" if you actually ignored the championship races! Oh and btw I dont post on TRF or Betfair.....TRF is now full of lily livered liberals, and Betfair is full of gambling flat heids!

Quevega looks a massive price at 85s on betfair if she gets there at all she will be a quarter of that price given her cheltenham form

Back