The Champion Hurdle 2010

Yesterday Mullins was talking about probably getting Quevega back in time for Chelt. Binocular will do for me, with HF also in the bet to win the same amount and probably Solwhit as a saver. Cast iron bet in my view.

Is Quevega not most likely to end up back in the Mares' race rather than the Champion?
Yeah she is - she'll be the biggest certainty at Cheltenham in the Mares Hurdle, she showed how much superior she is last year and with any other trainer would be in the Champion.

I've already posted my reservations about her (far more having seen her last run that before that) in this thread but she'd be a good trade if nothing else and if something should happen to The Hurricane then surely she'd be diverted to the Champion?

I think so Hezz. Mullins looks to have a pretty strong team with Mikael (December), Fiveforthree (Jan/Feb), Cousin Vinny and The Midnight Club all going over fences in the 2009/10 season :)

I think so Hezz. Mullins looks to have a pretty strong team with Mikael (December), Fiveforthree (Jan/Feb), Cousin Vinny and The Midnight Club all going over fences in the 2009/10 season :)

As strong a team of novice chasers that I can remember any trainer having assembled. A real pity that Mikael D'Haguenet and Fiveforthree will miss a decent part of the season.

Yes he definitely is. Imagine the Drimore would be an ideal early opportunity for him.

Surely he's an Arkle horse though, Gal?

I'd have thought Durkan Novices Chase/Irish Arkle would be the likely route, with a possible starting point the Staffordstown (I think) novice at Punchestown.

Very taking performance.

If we assume the placed horses ran to form, CH looks to have improved a lot from last season. It looked a true-run race too.

Dangerous assumption for me. Mamlook had plenty on from out of the weights and may be best over further, so not sure it's a massive improvement on his earlier form.

Good point dj, but Mamlook was back to his best in the Ces and the TV team commented how fantastic he looked today.

I'm wary about getting carried away but as the final stages unfolded, I wondered if I was going through a Rooster Booster moment ~ seeing the Champion Hurdle winner early in the season...

I agree with you DO. We are asking for a lot of the field, well all of it bar the winner, to have run way below form to suggest that this wasnt an improved performance. Too much for me. He jumped wonderfully too. Nichols was very clear that there is alot of improvement expected too

Last edited:
I was impressed with him today, thought that he done it very well. I was already on at 12/1 for the CH and was surprised to find 10 still available after the race so I took a little bit more of that.

I was a nice performance in terms of his well being, not sure we can say he has improved on his Cheltenham run based on that particularly as plenty of them jumped poorly behind him or ran pretty lacklustre.

I was impressed with him today, thought that he done it very well. I was already on at 12/1 for the CH and was surprised to find 10 still available after the race so I took a little bit more of that.

I took 10s this evening to a very large (for me) stake. Still only stands to return a third of what I got back from Rooster Booster :cool:

I like him today but Pnujabi and Binocular still to run and Hurricane Fly could be also very special

At the moment I am in the Hurricanes camp

My gut reaction is that CH has shown himself to have improved significantly. The others need to show it and Binocular seems to struggle with Cheltenham anyway.

I don't necessarily think Binocular struggles with Cheltenham - the Supreme run he was ridden wrong by McCoy (his admission) and was a sitting target, and bear in mind he was a 4 year old. Last year he was left short of work by all accounts due to the weather around Henderson's, and ran like it to me. Of course, the above could be construed as excuses (especially as I backed him on both occasions!) but I think we'll see him at Cheltenham in a true light during the Bula.

Back