The Champion Hurdle 2010

I always loved him and JP, AP & Henderson always said what a good horse they thought he was. I think he was wrong which was why they sent him bck to Ireland 3 weeks ago to have JP's vets look at him. He came back, schooled well, worked well - they were perfectly open in the press about that (- so I backed him). Hardly a stitch-up.

I would presume that Henderson will send Zaynar to the World Hurdle next year. I thought he plugged on really well after getting a bit outpaced at the top of the hill.

My over-riding reaction is that the Irish form is very dodgy this season. Slow times, Sublimity and bad horses too close up, etc etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the Irish failed to get into the frame.
I'm glad I got something right ;)

I hope Steve M cleaned up at 4/1.;);)

Solwhit clearly every reason not to run his race but Go Native appeared to have a few enough excuses despite that early blunder - he won't get a much better chance in future Champions as he did today.

Steve ended up mention quite a few for the Champion - but credit to both he and Hamm for following the horse early in the season.

Seems fair to suggest that the Irish form is poor, given how the other horses were strung out at the back although I'd be inclined to forgive Solwhit given the preparation

Sheesh didn't see that coming, came up that hill like a scalded cat on speed. I thought Mr Millar was daft when he fancied him yesterday but if they ran the race 20 times without the benefit of hindsight I wouldn't back him with that History,extraordinary performance. Khyber ran his race and fair play to Zaynar he toughed it out. Go native,solwhit,punjabi, medermit didn't run their best, the rest of them did.

Who's happier - JP or SteveM?

Having watched the CH with Steve M today I can report that he was pretty happy despite having had all that 4-1 !

I am still hoarse - I hoped he had come back to form so i had a few quid on but I was disappointed with Go Native but I understand they think he did himself a mischief at the 2nd . I doubt it made much difference - that was the Isty impression from last year's Bula again . If he stays right he will be exceptionally difficult to beat . The way he accelerated away from Khyber Kim was breathtaking and his jumping was so slick - as we noted from word go especially down the back .

Any idea of a rating? It looked a good race to me.

Racing Post have him on 175, the highest they've ever rated a Champion Hurdle (since '88):

Binocular

Alderbrook
Istabraq ('98)

Collier Bay
Rooster Booster

Kribensis
Istabraq ('00)
Brave Inca

Morley Street
Istabraq ('99)
Hardy Eustace ('04)

Racing Post have him on 175, the highest they've ever rated a Champion Hurdle (since '88):

Binocular

Alderbrook
Istabraq ('98)

Collier Bay
Rooster Booster

Kribensis
Istabraq ('00)
Brave Inca

Morley Street
Istabraq ('99)
Hardy Eustace ('04)

I think that is probably fair considering how comprehensively he beat a field of hurdlers with Grade 1 form .

I think so too. It's maybe a couple of pounds too high, but not really worth arguing about given the style of his win. Question is, is he now free and clear of his previous problems? Will he be able to reproduce that kind of form? And when?

I think so too. It's maybe a couple of pounds too high, but not really worth arguing about given the style of his win. Question is, is he now free and clear of his previous problems? Will he be able to reproduce that kind of form? And when?

Do we know what the problem was yet?

Back