The Champion Hurdle 2010

From a Celestial Halo perspective, I'll be looing for Qozak to run a nice race (in defeat) at Wincanton tomorrow. I'd imagine this is Starluck's for the taking but whether they're just out for a run plus the heavy ground makes it a no-bet race.

Over at oddschecker I noticed the other day that the bookie that refuses to pay out on winning bets was very short about Dunguib for the Champion Hurdle. After a bit of thought I assumed it was 'with a run'. I see it's shortened up again this evening. Could there be a change of mind on the horizon? I suppose as the likes of Zaynar and Binocular run badly or scratch, the prospect must be more likely?

Why, Rory? I don't mind HJ? Bemused as to what he does wrong?
JHJ, among other things, is usually the answer to racing gossip columns which start "Which well known trainer was arrested after getting bladdered and starting a fight......"

There's plenty of other speculation about him, from the obvious allegations that he treats buying expensive stores for Graham Wylie in much the same way as Harry Redknapp or Sam Allardyce would go about buying a full back from the Croatian 2nd Division, to more outlandish claims about how he deals with the disappointment of seeing an expensive purchase lose a poor race at Sedgefield.

In this case, Graham Wylie complained that Quwetwo had been entered ten times in novice chases but all those races had been abandoned, and yet plenty of other trainers have managed to get races into their Arkle challengers. For some reason, JHJ declined to enter Quwetwo in the rearranged Lightning Novices' Chase, despite him being among the decs for the same race just seven days earlier.

Over at oddschecker I noticed the other day that the bookie that refuses to pay out on winning bets was very short about Dunguib for the Champion Hurdle. After a bit of thought I assumed it was 'with a run'. I see it's shortened up again this evening. Could there be a change of mind on the horizon? I suppose as the likes of Zaynar and Binocular run badly or scratch, the prospect must be more likely?

Still a large price on Betfair. Unlikely i'd say

Zaynar is now at backable price. May simply have been a ground issue.

8/1 each way is good for a horse that stays well.

Also, interesting that alot of the contenders want good ground. Certainly soft or worse would take Go Native and Medermit out of it. Solwhit could be the sound play, goes on any surface

Also, interesting that alot of the contenders want good ground. Certainly soft or worse would take Go Native and Medermit out of it. Solwhit could be the sound play, goes on any surface
How exactly would Medermit be scuppered by soft ground?

To be honest Mr Jake if it came up soft i think it would enhance medermits chances. He has won on heavy and won twice on soft. and placed a further twice on soft both at cheltenham.

Really surprising news for me,
I think he should have ridden Zaynar, but avoiding him a negative for Zaynar,
it looks lilke it will be Solwhits year.

Yes, and Punjabi has the proven level of form needed, and is notoriously hard to get fit. He is also likely to travel the better of the two, and a Champion Hurdle is worth a lot more than a Triumph.

I think it was a good race for Punjabi at Kempton. A nice little prep race which will put him spot on for the Champion to run a good race. I don't think Sublimity will be placed but I can see the temptation with the price if he is in form from a couple of years ago

I had a look at Zaynar's Kelso race last night. I reckon it might not be half as bad as it seemed at the time. It was by a long, long way the fastest race on the card (might not have been difficult).

I had a look at Zaynar's Kelso race last night. I reckon it might not be half as bad as it seemed at the time. It was by a long, long way the fastest race on the card (might not have been difficult).
It was a horrible card and that seemed the only race they went a strong pace.

For those who fancy Zaynar I wouldn't be too put off. I thought he had a good blow against a clearly underrated horse and good prospect. He came up the hill well last year and is sure to do so again. Must be in the mix with the usual suspects.

I've had plenty on Punjabi at 12s (I had also backed Binocular as low as 4s) and although I'm far from confident I don't see why not.

Back