The Champion Hurdle 2010

Punjabi is defo my saver bet at those prices. Go Native wins though;)

...does he? I can't really put my finger on it but GN doesn't convince me... I'd probably prefer Medermit, Zaynar, Solwhit, Khyber Kim or Starluck above that one. However Punjabi and Celestial still set the standard (although it's a bit of a leap of faith with Celestial at the moment).

Last edited:
...does he? I can't really put my finger on it but GN doesn't convince me... I'd probably prefer Medermit, Zaynar, Solwhit or Khyber Kim above that one. However Punjabi and Celestial still set the standard (although it's a bit of a leap of faith with Celestial at the moment).

In truth Celestial Halo has probably shown more than Punjabi this season.

He won his last race (i.e. the one before the Champion and there is no substitute for winning form, whatever the opposition) and appears in good heart. That's all I need to know (as he is the current Champion and already sets the standard). Those that haven't won (or nearly won giving weight) the race going into the Champion would probably be better of staying at home. Nevertheless I believe Celestial is certainly entitled to line up and hopefully will give a good account of himself.

If Celestial Halo ran in the race (or should I call it a staged gallop?) on Saturday he would have been just as impressive.

You are right though, I got my previous statement wrong - looking at the form Celestrial Halo has definitely shown better form this season than Punjabi. I doubt either will win it though.

If Celestial Halo ran in the race (or should I call it a staged gallop?) on Saturday he would have been just as impressive.

We don't know because he didn't run.

You are right though, I got my previous statement wrong - looking at the form Celestrial Halo has definitely shown better form this season than Punjabi.

It's about how they do in two weeks. Punjabi is clearly going forward, while Celestial is arguably treading water or perhaps going backwards.

I doubt either will win it though.

You may yet eat those words (the pair of them still set the standard for the race, it's up to another to take it away from them).

Last edited:
What is Punjabi's best piece of form this season?

I take your point Gal, Punjabi has beaten nothing this season..so far:lol:. I just think at the prices he's better value than Zaynar(Geraghty says he can't split them). That said Go Native is still my main bet at 7's, and will win:eek:.

Presuming the setback that has kept him off since Punchestown, but if he had recovered in time to come here without a prep, I'd say 7/1 or 15/2 ish.

I doubt if you'll see him run this season. As far as I know, no entries at the festival or anywhere in the near future

I've heard a few murmurs about Hurricane Fly's temperament, Gal. May not be as encouraging for the future, and I'd be a fan. Apparently it was something of a talking point after his defeat at Punchestown, that other trainers commented on..wish I had the specifics...

I've long been a big fan of Punjabi, and think he is very much the forgotten horse for this - if you take a look at his race record, he has put in the vast, vast majority of his better performances in March and April, with very little of note before March (2nd in the Totesport Trophy, and a workmanlike beating of Sublimity in the Fighting Fifith aside). This could be down to the time of the year, or the length of time it takes him to get properly fit, or a combination of both.

I don't know is there a slicker hurdler than him in the race, he is the reigning champion and will most likely have Geraghty on board. I can't see him out of the places and he must be one of the best each way bets of the entire festival.

I was thinking each way as well - I am pretty confident he will beat Solwhit, and the main danger for me is Go Native, who i fear being on the bridle at the last.

I just watched the Supreme from last year and am indecided whether he idled or struggled up the hill.

I've long been a big fan of Punjabi, and think he is very much the forgotten horse for this - if you take a look at his race record, he has put in the vast, vast majority of his better performances in March and April, with very little of note before March (2nd in the Totesport Trophy, and a workmanlike beating of Sublimity in the Fighting Fifith aside). This could be down to the time of the year, or the length of time it takes him to get properly fit, or a combination of both.

I don't know is there a slicker hurdler than him in the race, he is the reigning champion and will most likely have Geraghty on board. I can't see him out of the places and he must be one of the best each way bets of the entire festival.

While his best performances have come in March/April - he has also shown alot more in his earlier races than he has this season.

Aside from the 2 examples I mentioned (which still wouldn't be near his March/April efforts), which other races would you include?

Aside from the 2 examples I mentioned (which still wouldn't be near his March/April efforts), which other races would you include?

Those two examples plus him travelling equally as well as Harchibald and co two out in the Christmas Hurdle. He might not be the "sexiest" of Champion Hurdle winners but he has shown much more spark earlier in the season than he has this year.

Back