The Cheltenham Going

Chucking it down since about 10.00 this morning. Quite heavy this afternoon with a strong wind behind it. Two days of this and a dry weekend should do it.

How about "Ding dong!", "Woof woof!" or "I say! Where have you been hiding this delightful creature?".

Snow in parts of Ireland this morning folks..Am assuming that this isn't the case across the water (Cheltenham direction in particilar):blink: Not sure if Fairyhouse today in under threat though..

Old Course: Good to Soft, New Course: Good to Soft (Soft in places), Cross Country Course: Soft (Heavy in places) Following 11mm of rain last night

Snow in parts of Ireland this morning folks..Am assuming that this isn't the case across the water (Cheltenham direction in particilar):blink: Not sure if Fairyhouse today in under threat though..

most of the rain missed the course yesterday (just 1mm seen) unlike Exeter.

A bit of rain forecast for the tail end of this week (at most heavy showers). some sleet possible and a bit of frost about. Dry weekend expected.

Old Course: Good to Soft, New Course: Good to Soft (Soft in places), Cross Country Course: Soft (Heavy in places) Following 11mm of rain last night

Thanks Gal. Clearly more overnight rain. If they keep away from the taps for a bit now it's looking okay.

Last edited:

I would not trust Cheltenham as far as I would throw them. For them to say that they are not watering again already makes me think the ground is probably softer than their description due to watering and then raining on top of it.

By Graham Green9.19AM 4 MAR 2009
CHELTENHAM escaped the heavy rain that hit much of the West Country overnight, but after receiving 11mm - and on the basis of the weather forecast - clerk of the course Simon Claisse has ruled out any further watering in advance of next week's festival.
Claisse said on Wednesday morning: "We had roughly the rain we thought we would get, 11mm, but it was all over by midnight, and that's changed the going on the Old course to good to soft.
"The New course is now good to soft, soft in places, and the cross-country is soft, heavy in places.

"Our outlook now is for some showers today, then for it to be mostly dry Thursday, Friday and Saturday, with a possibility of some rain on Saturday night into Sunday. On the basis of that forecast, no further watering will take place."

Claisse added: "We wouldhave been in a different situation if we'd had the sort of quantities of rain they had at Exeter and Wincanton, but we were not forecast that."

While it's possible you're right Cheltenham dries out so quickly since the new drainage system was put in, I'm not expecting a problem.

Cajoling and damage limitation excercises already rolling. Surely it won't be the case that it's too fast!!

---------

"Malcolm Jefferson has warned that Cape Tribulation might miss Cheltenham if the going is too fast.
The five-year-old staked a big claim for Festival honours with an impressive victory at Doncaster in January.
He holds entries in the two staying novice hurdles - the Ballymore Properties and the Albert Bartlett.
Jefferson would like David Abell's gelding to take his chance in one of those races, ground permitting.
"Everything's on course for next week and the horse is as happy as Larry," said the Malton trainer.
"The main work has been done now and we'll just keep him ticking over.
"As long as it's good, safe jumping ground, that'll be all right for me.
"If it does come up too quick, though, he might not even run."

Stormy rain up to midnight last night; sharp frost this morning; bright, sunny day today with a bit of a breeze. I can almost hear Mr Claisse's fingers twitching to turn on the sprinklers.

Another sunny day with a bit of a breeze - fresh rather than freezing today.

Lifted from the Cheltenham website:

The going at Cheltenham is currently:
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Old Course (used on Tuesday & Wednesday) - [/FONT]Good to Soft
[FONT=Arial,Arial]New Course (used on Thursday & Friday) [/FONT]- Good to Soft, Soft in places
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Cross Country Course (Tuesday only) [/FONT]- Soft, Heavy in places
The forecast is for showery periods between Friday and Monday.

The Met Office are predicting an inch-and-a-half of rain Monday night into Tuesday with strong winds.

...but if ever there was a profession stealing a living then it is Weather forecasters.

Channel 4 report that the ground is likely to be Good To Soft, Soft in places at best come Tuesday with Simon Claisse saying its very possible if they get that full half inch of rain on Monday night that it could go genuinely soft.

Down also mentioned that the grass was very short and they has been little or no grass growth up until recently.

Back