The Cheltenham Going

While I feel for Harchibald, I am happy enough to see the rain arrive. Plenty of my fancies will be suited by ease in the going...

By Lee Mottershead4.32PM 8 MAR 2009
CHELTENHAM clerk of the course Simon Claisse on Sunday repeated that soft ground could greet the Smurfit Kappa Champion Hurdle field if predicted rain on Monday night materialises.
Three millimetres of rain fell on Cheltenham prior to sunset on Sunday, causing the official description to change to good to soft, but that assessment could change again if the much-heralded downpour arrives once darkness descends on Monday.

Claisse, who reported the New Course - used on Thursday and Friday - to be "marginally quicker" than the Old Course, said: "John Kettley confirmed again this morning that he thought we would get 10mm of rain before we start racing, and as we have had 3mm today, we must be talking about 7mm to 8mm still to come.
"If we get that rain, we could well go soft and certainly good to soft, soft in places or soft, good to soft in places. It all depends on when it comes and the intensity. If it comes over a period of six hours and finishes six hours before racing, it will have a different effect to if it all comes in the last hour."
According to the Met Office, Kettley's rainfall predictions could err on the conservative side.
A national forecaster said: "Blustery showers will pass through on Monday, but then an area of rain will come through late on Monday evening. That might give up to six hours of heavy rain and a maximum of 15mm to 20mm of rain before clearing away on Tuesday.
"During the day on Tuesday, there will be sunny intervals and the odd blustery shower. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday will be better but not completely dry and there will be the odd bit of rain."
Both Nicky Henderson and Alan King, who walked the track on Sunday, expressed themselves happy with the state of the racecourse, although Henderson is fearful that he will not be as happy as the week goes on.
He said: "It's wet, which is a shame because the ground is in very good nick. I'd have called it between good and good to soft and certainly no worse than good to soft. The worry is I haven't walked it on the best day as the bad weather is still to come. I wish we could have raced on it today as it's lovely ground."
King added: "It's in tremendous condition and would be predominantly good to soft. It's in very good nick and I was very happy with it. If we could race as it is at the minute, it would be marvellous."
What will the official going be on Tuesday?
Betfair matched prices at 6pm Sunday: 1.53 good to soft, 2.54 soft, 16.5 heavy, 25 good.

I dont think I can ever remember such wailing and gnashing of teeth about the ground being all wrong for something thats tenth in the betting for a championship race ! :p

Cheltenham was dry overnight.
Although it's back to serving alcohol again today, thank goodness.

In seriousness, the weather in the town has been frighteningly mixed, with sunshine, rain, wind and hail yesterday at different times. Today the sun is currently shining, but a look out the window reveals ominous clouds. If you're going you need as always to prepare for all four seasons.

Old Course: Chase and Hurdle, Good to Soft Cross Country: Good to Soft, Soft in places. (GoingStick: Old 6.8, Cross country 5.6 on Monday at 15:00) Dry overnight and today. Outlook, showery, a spell of rain overnight Monday/Tuesday, light showers Wednesday/Thursday, dry Friday.
If this forecast rain does not come, the ground might not be so bad at all.

Met Office: up to 20mm of rain for Cheltenham

THE Met Office are still predicting that significant rain will fall on Cheltenham through Monday night into Tuesday morning.
Conditions were described on Monday afternoon as good to soft on the Old and New Courses, but clerk of the course Simon Claisse has stated that significant overnight rain could turn underfoot conditions to soft.
A Met Office spokesman said on Monday at 4pm: "There will be light rain from dusk today with heavier rain coming from midnight and lasting through to the small hours. In total, that could bring up to 15mm to 20mm of rain.
"It will become drier and brighter through Tuesday afternoon, but there will be a lot of cloud with thechance of light and patchy rain.
"Tuesday night will be dry but clouds coming in off the Atlantic will bring outbreaks of light rain on Wednesday.
"Thursday is set to be a largely cloudy day with spells of drizzle and light rain.
"Friday should be the best day of the meeting with mainly dry conditions, light winds and some brightness."
What will the official going be on Tuesday?
Betfair last matched prices at 4.50pm Monday:
1.11 good to soft, 3.3 soft, 44 good, 80 heavy.
Find out if the rain has started at Cheltenham with our Monday night news bulletin - between 8pm and 9pm

From the RP website

Last edited:
Yeah only 2mm of rain last night.

Old Course: Chase and Hurdle, Good to Soft, Soft in PlacesCross Country: Good to Soft, Soft in places.2mm overnight. Outlook, showery, Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday, dryFriday.

No rain:)

Sounds like they've entrusted the likes of Fred Goodwin and Adam Applegarth with weather forecasting

Looks a bright and breezy day there as well so could dry out more. Forecast is pretty good for the week...Good ground come Gold Cup day possibly.

Slow side of good today is my best guess at this stage, with Good - Good to Firm by Friday. Don't trust the Claisseman:ninja:

Generally I put the ground at "on the soft side of good to soft "

Good to soft in places, really soft in other places. Patchy, and not recovered from the Paddy Power meeting in quite alot of places, especially on the hurdle track.

Generally I put the ground at "on the soft side of good to soft "

Good to soft in places, really soft in other places. Patchy, and not recovered from the Paddy Power meeting in quite alot of places, especially on the hurdle track.

Thanks for that Uncle G, Walsh was interviewed this morning after walking the track and said the back straight was the softest part of the whole course. Go along with that?

the ground is definately good to soft on the times..first two races were neigh on the same...as would be expected...and both about 5/6 seconds slower than true Good

Weather: A cold start. Rather cloudy but mostly dry with just a small chance of the odd spot of rain. Gentle south-westerly winds. Max temp 12C (54F).

Is it too early to come to a verdict on the going The Claissemeister has provided?

I haven't heard any complaints from connections but the ground in the winners' enclosure looks to be getting very churned up

Back