The Christmas funds booster thread

I know I said I'd come up with some sort of permed multi for this weekend and believe me I've tried but I wouldn't be too confident with what I've come up with so tread with care.

The Tommy whittle I'd probably side with Testify (Course form) The win over Lakefield leader here looks good and I was taken with how Hemmings bought the runner up after his horse had beaten him comfortably. Dalondike is the other, he was getting involved in the Irish Nash before taking the roots out of one. The ground possibly too fast first time up or actually more likely that he needed the run certainly ran that way, he was going the right way before that so perhaps Marble will land the xmas dough all round personally I'll have a few sheckels on both and a pop at the fc . I thought Valadom was an interesting outsider but not enough to get involved with.

In the Silver Cup I've again come to a couple by default. Probably Minella Daddy and Jammin Masters are best of the survivors but can't say as I'm mad keen on either. Gold present (ground concerns) Full glass (experience or lack of, jumping concerns and short price) Thomas Patrick (Handicappers grip/ hard race first time up might have done for him) Otago trail (bounce ) Last Samuri ( Harry Fry ) Benetar and Flying Angel ( all known form don't stay). I'd had a bet on Minella Daddy Antepost at 14's thinking Gold present would be pulled on bad ground but Henderson may let him run to get his mark down or in fact he may well go on the soft "this time" and making me look a complete coont haha. I'll side with my two for the perm.

The big handicap hurdle in the end for the perms sake I think I ended up with Mohaayed as explained his chances earlier in the week. Mr Antolini as he'll be off the front end and hard to pass so looks like good place material although the handicapper might just have him in terms of winning and I think Flying tiger has sneaked in there even though it pains me to give him yet another chance. I did have Western Ryder on my radar but the price had gone by the time I come to place the bet at 14's he'd of been in at 10's he's not so the Tiger gets called up off the bench. I had backed a few of these single in the Ante-post market including Western Ryder at 14's so not the worst result in the world if he does win. I have to say Mohaayed, at the prices was certainly my number 1 selection. However, at the last minute I've come to the conclusion that Paul Nicholls Grand Sancy looks the business with only 1 slight/major concern to worry about and that's the ground will he go on it ? No idea myself, he finished 2nd 3 times in lesser events on softer surfaces last year before pulling up at the festival on soft ground. However has had wind done since and has gone from strength to strength on better ground. If he doesn't win today he's one worth following I think as I think he'll pick a big handicap up even if today is not the day. I've had 50 on the nut @26 ( if the ground had been better I'd have been loading up e/w) in what has invariably turned into a spray and pray mission but hopefully I'll turn a profit somehow :rolleyes:. For the perms sake though I've stuck with those who should like the conditions and maybe a bit more reliable to frame. Just to recap if they got lost in the waffle that's - Mo', Mr Ant and the Tiger ( sounds like a childrens story).

Apologies it's not a stronger opinion ( or a better write up, I'm whacked) and I wouldn't pin your hopes of paying for Christmas or even having enough to purchase one sprout on the back of this perm but I've played 12 e/w trebles just to get me in the Christmas Spirit.

Ho Ho Ho, Merry Christmas.

See you guys after the break ;)

Great tipping Danny ... outstanding tipping !!.. long may this thread continue !

Just a shame that Hendo rag did us for the treble I'd got on the treble 9/1 Dalondike 20/1 Mo' and 7's on Jammin master who produced miracles after the way he'd jumped to finish 2nd. Also Had a decent FC on Mo' and Grand Sancy and I thought just for a moment it was on also had a combi tricast with Western Ryder and Mr Antoilini so that was 1st 3rd 4th and 5th. Another nearly weekend but a good wins all the same. I'm sure I'd wrote up somewhere ealrier in the week but I've lost it that I'd included Mo' in some e/w doubles with The Shuffler and Coneygree in the King George and Dawsons ( super boat ) City for the Welsh Nash but I'm buggered if I can find them. Anyway buy's me some cheap interest over the festive season. Have a good Christmas lads and in all honesty I think a fair few stuck winning bets up today so hopefully its covered the cost of the Turkey at least :) Maybe next year we land the big kahuna !

Last edited:
My NAP for The Festive Period, is called The Sweeney.

The Sweeney entered at Kempton - Boxing Day.

However, I am probably even more keen on Forest Bihan the following day at Wetherby.

I'd say Forest Bihan is the NAP of Christmas, and The Sweeney, max bet (E/W), the next best.

Looking forward to this.

Last edited:
Forest Bihan will be the main bet. But I will do something each way on The Sweeney. The latter could start 12/1 or so, but the former I expect to be a fair amount shorter.

Last edited:
Fwiw marb I had a quick gaze through the Sweeney's race last night and it certainly seems an easier task than that conditionals race he was entered in and the RP website was showing him at 16/1 whether that's there I'm unsure. That race will be one of the first on my list when I start knuckling down on the Boxing Day's racing. So hopefully I'll have a stronger opinion on it on the day. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Had a quick browse over last night and came up with a few I think may represent some value.
I’ve included these in a few win and ew multiples. If one of them clicks I’m off to Barbados.

Huntingdon 12.35 - Daario Naharis 16/1

Fav will be hard to beat in this race but this lad caught my attention when finishing a close 3rd in a Huntingdon bumper last May. That bumper was won by Thomas Darby who has progressed very nicely since then. The 2nd & 4th from that race have won since. Daario Naharis was 2nd to a well bred filly of Harry Fry’s at the start of the month giving her 7lbs and looked a bit big so that run should have him spot on for today. 16/1 looks too big here and is probably owing to the fact he comes from a small yard.

1.15 Fontwell - On The Slopes 7/1

I tracked this fella after his fine 2nd behind David Pipes Eden Du Houx at Plumpton at the start of this month. That form has been franked massively by the winners impressive listed bumper success at Ascot last Friday beating some good horses quiet impressively and 7/1 for OTS looks too big.

Kempton 1.55 - Bags Groove 5/1

A revelation since he went over fences but I’ve had this lad on my radar ever since he finished a close 2nd in the Newbury Sales Bumper in early 2016. He has barely touched a twig on his 4 chases so far and he has the experience others may lack when they up the ante. I think he’ll dictate from the front and he’s already shown how he can quicken up off his own strong gallop. He’ll put pressure on the jumping of others in behind and that’s where he can make hay. His demolition job of Thomas Campbell giving him weight was ultra impressive and he’s a born chaser. Santini is a worthy fav but bearing in mind how big & burly he is plus the fact he’s never raced right handed before, well there’s more than enough there for me to take him on at 6/4. Bags Groove is a former hurdle winner at the course and this step up to a full 3m for the first time is sure to bring further improvement based on his pedigree.

3.10 Limerick- The Ballyboys 5/1

This lad loves both Christmas and Limerick and his trainer Ray Hackett always seems to target a Christmas gamble here. The Ballyboys seems to relish testing conditions which he’ll get on Wednesday and for the past two seasons he has won in Limerick at Christmas over this trip of 2m3f. 5/1 probably wont last long as these North Tipperary boys love to gamble one.

Happy Christmas & happy punting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I just saw Paddy Power going 15/2 on The Sweeney as third favourite, but I can't find any oddschecker price on the race as a whole, so I can compare odds?

Last edited:
Cheers. Most of my ammunition is saved for Forest Bihan, but 16/1 worth an each way on The Sweeney.

Come on everyone, forums aren't a spectator sport. Is there any chance a few more posters could post their thoughts up...I know it's Christmas Eve but come on come on lol.

Last edited:
Think Elliott's duo at the front of the market in the Juvenile race are a weak pair and wouldn't be surprised if some money came for his other one, Kennedy's mount Coko Beach or the Mullins filly.

Also happy to take Santini on although not sure what with yet...

Last edited:
I've backed Bags Groove in the Feltham at 6s & 7s. Efficient jumper who should like the track more than Santini and Topofthegame.

Also like Le Richeboug and Tycoon Prince at Leop.

Also backed Bags Groove but with a cover f/c on Santini, just in case he's as good as Hendo seems to think.
Plus Lake View Lad in the Rowland Meyrick.

Last edited:
The big baby boy I bred is running at Sedgefield on Boxing Day and and I am told is 17lbs better off for his last run which was a course and distance win. This is the bit of racing I have never quite learnt but can appreciate that much 'less' weight is a good thing........

The big baby boy I bred is running at Sedgefield on Boxing Day and and I am told is 17lbs better off for his last run which was a course and distance win. This is the bit of racing I have never quite learnt but can appreciate that much 'less' weight is a good thing........

Can you tell us the name of the horse please, GG?

Back