The Coral Eclipse Sandown Sat July 6

Diamond Geezer

Gone But Not Forgotten
Al Kazeem, Mukhadram, The Fugue, Mars, Camelot, Declaration Of War, Miblish and Pastorius the eight left in the Coral-Eclipse.

Al Kazeem won't be beaten over 10f this year. Mars is the only interesting runner.

I think Mars is a very interesting runner and maybe the only one that could spoil Al Kazeem's party. The distance is likely to suit, and the wfa allowance is very substantial at this time. I'm glad that there's at least one 3yo in the race - wish there were more.

Don't think it's likely - surely they'll want to give him a chance. And just as surely, they can't run Camelot in this, can they? Think he'll come out of the race on Thursday and maybe Declaration of War as well.

Is the ground likely to be good to firm? Fine for Al Kazeem but will it be too fast for Mars, who will, however, have the benefit of Ryan Moore.

This is too much too early for Mars. I remember Barathea running in this after a good Guineas run and a non staying effort to get in the frame in the Derby and found the older horses too tough - and that was without running in the SJP.

The Fugue was given a poor ride in the POW and Al Kazeem didn't put any distance into her from the turn. She's fresh and I can see this being one race too many for the favourite.

I think the fav is bullet proof. He's improving. His run the last day was better than the bare form.

He's a relatively light raced 5yo and this is his fourth race of the season, his third at the top level in six weeks. That alone gives me enough of an angle at his price to take him on.

I'm not sure the fugue really appreciates fast ground tbh...will probably be quick Saturday so would be a no go for me. The fav looks pretty bombproof as already noted by Slim..take on board what Euro says about quick races but its not impossible he can do it with few miles on clock...can't really see fav beaten tbh

I think the POW was a poor race. I know I'm flying in the face of received wisdom but I reckon either the prominent run by Miblish holds the form back quite a bit or we need to treat him as running his own race while those around him have run in a different one. Camelot strikes me as being gone and the Fugue - noted as dull in her coat - flew past quite a few in the straight, which can be read either of two ways. Mukhadram was also only rated 111 going into the race and got a brilliant tactical ride to which only Doyle on the winner was alert.

Saturday's race might also come too soon for Al Khazeem but on the assumption that he'll be favourite, I reckon it will create excellent value elsewhere in the field.

has been a beaten fav on fast ground twice..not advertising a need for for that ground to me

She shouldn't have been favourite over a mile and a half against Shareta. That run at York was still one of her better ones of the season however and whilst she doesn't need it fast she acts on it fine.

i think the pow was a poor race. I know i'm flying in the face of received wisdom but i reckon either the prominent run by miblish holds the form back quite a bit or we need to treat him as running his own race while those around him have run in a different one. Camelot strikes me as being gone and the fugue - noted as dull in her coat - flew past quite a few in the straight, which can be read either of two ways. Mukhadram was also only rated 111 going into the race and got a brilliant tactical ride to which only doyle on the winner was alert.

Saturday's race might also come too soon for al khazeem but on the assumption that he'll be favourite, i reckon it will create excellent value elsewhere in the field.

agree

No question The Fugue needed the run that day. And if we oppose the POW form what have we got? Mars basically - and he's never run over the trip.

This is how I rate the race

Al Kazeem

Camelot
127 d (+)

Declaration Of War
126 +t

Mars
125 p

Miblish
120 ?

Mukhadram
129 p

Pastorius

The Fugue

It looks a very tricky race, but the betting approach would be to lay the favourite.

Pastorius and Mars the most likely winners.

Last edited:
In what many thought was a straight shoot between Al Kazeem and Camelot the latter proved again he's just not up to it.

Many doubted Al Kazeem being real top class and I wouldn't really have argued with that.

The way it turned out Al Kazeem won what I regarded as a sub standard group 1 from Mukhadram who himself had previously won an average looking group 2.

Nathaniel beat Fahrr and Twice Over in this last year this race looks weak in comparison and the fav looks worth opposing.

Aiden should know the time of day with his duo and it wouldn't be the first time the bookies got it wrong with his horse but Deceleration of War not only showed a good turn of foot at Ascot he show a lot of guts as well.

I fancy Decleration of War to just get the better of the fav

Pace should be hotter than Ascot as I can't see them give Mukhadram a head start, Al Kazeem has the form and showed big improvement from Curragh at Ascot. Ground worries about the Fugue, but she will come on a lot from Ascot so I think she value to take on fav. Declaration of War beat a very moderate field when Animal Kingdom didn't turn up.......the fugue for me

There are no worries about The Fugue on fast ground. She was unlucky not to win on the firm at Santa Anita, and her trainer said after the POW "the key thing is is she likes this ground".
Given that looked for all the world like a prep run, she could well turn the tables on the 2 that finished in front of her.

Back