The Derby & Irish Derby 2009

Fame And Glory around the 10/1 or 8/1 mark now after that.

Black Bear Island, Rip Van Winkle, Freemantle, Age Of Aquarius, Masterofthehorse, Stately Home would need to do something very special in their trials you'd imagine for Murtagh to get off Fame And Glory (unfortunate initials to shorten!).

Only Crowded House has a chance for me.

I was very impressed with him with FAG, travells very well and will improve for 12f.

If I were Bolger and the horse were fit enough, I would run Gan Amhras at Newmarket now.

Chris/Flame, sorry to again ask something of you, but is there any sinister reason for Saptapadi's absence at Newbury today? I am presuming there is a physical problem as he was down as an n/r yesterday!

Obviously not. Down to run in the 'classic trial' at Sandown on Friday.

Might not be an exceptional Guineas but the Derby is shaping up nicely. Be great if both the Ballydoyle and Meehan big guns get to the race unbeaten. One or two could emerge yet.

By Rodney Masters1.47PM 20 APR 2009
BRIAN MEEHAN said on Monday that he was as confident of winning next month's Dante Stakes at York with Derby favourite Crowded House as he was of winning last week's Craven Stakes with 2,000 Guineas favourite Delegator.

Meehan was bubbling over with enthusiasm when he paraded both colts at Manton after they cantered during second lot on Monday.

He said: "Crowded House worked over seven furlongs on our Derby gallop on Saturday and I couldn't have been more pleased. When Jamie Spencer jumped off afterwards he was full of enthusiasm. I would expect him to win the Dante, and we're all very keen on him for the Derby."

Meehan added: "Crowded House is such a well balanced colt and I wouldn't see the gradients of Epsom as an issue for him. Therefore he'll not work on the course prior to the Derby. He must have a great chance there, though of course I respect Fame And Glory after his win at the weekend."

Might not be an exceptional Guineas but the Derby is shaping up nicely. Be great if both the Ballydoyle and Meehan big guns get to the race unbeaten. One or two could emerge yet.

By Rodney Masters1.47PM 20 APR 2009
BRIAN MEEHAN said on Monday that he was as confident of winning next month's Dante Stakes at York with Derby favourite Crowded House as he was of winning last week's Craven Stakes with 2,000 Guineas favourite Delegator.

Meehan was bubbling over with enthusiasm when he paraded both colts at Manton after they cantered during second lot on Monday.

He said: "Crowded House worked over seven furlongs on our Derby gallop on Saturday and I couldn't have been more pleased. When Jamie Spencer jumped off afterwards he was full of enthusiasm. I would expect him to win the Dante, and we're all very keen on him for the Derby."

Meehan added: "Crowded House is such a well balanced colt and I wouldn't see the gradients of Epsom as an issue for him. Therefore he'll not work on the course prior to the Derby. He must have a great chance there, though of course I respect Fame And Glory after his win at the weekend."

Yes the Derby does seem to have a bit of a sparkle to it this year. Shame no one wants to sponsor it. I like the Ballysax colts (first and third) and Crowded House seems capable of putting in the kind of run that could worry a good horse. There is something quite sweet about this Fame And Glory though. My local bookie laid me a fair bit of 9s today.

Too soon to be writing the Guineas off, there are three or four good colts in that.

Yeah fair point about the Guineas, I agree some good ones could come out of it. I guess I was referring to the anticipation of it the Guineas does not seem as high this year.

I don't believe this will be a bad Guineas I just think the players are keeping their cards close to their chest.

i think mr gosden,will win 2 classics this year 1000g and the derby with ALWAARY!!!!!.

40/1 with ladbrokes,come on my son.

Ladbrokes go:

Sea The Stars 5/2
Crowded House 5/1
Fame And Glory 6/1
Gan Amhras 6/1
Rip Van Winkle 10/1
14/1 Bar

I don't know who McCririck was just quoting STS at 5 -1 !!!

Ironic that what could be one of the most exciting Derby fields for a long time and the race is not sponsored !

Rip Van Winkle is gonna be the new One Cool Cat. Excuses will always be made and punters will always back him. I don`t see how he reverses form in the Derby and think STS is a good bet. Taken some 9/2.

Rip Van Winkle is gonna be the new One Cool Cat.

can't see it mesen

needing a trip isn't really an excuse, its more to do with..whats needed

he ran a very similar race today to the Dewhurst..in hindsight his need for further now cries out

just my view..but until he runs at the right trip..i can't see how he is a one cool cat

I would not back RVW for the Derby until I hear confirmation that he is going that route. Stable have plenty of horses for that race and RVW wasnt disgraced over a mile today when the market told us he was not fancied. A mile and 10 furlongs could be other viable targets for him.

Back