The Derby Sat June 5th 2021

A new day, more time to reflect.

I'm coming round to the idea that they've done all the homework, etc, and decided that Epsom is just too risky for High Definition.

The fact that they're leaving only BB in the race will lead many punters to the conclusion that 'the Lads' must think this is a good thing.

They may well be right but the contrary bastert in me is dragging me off in the opposite direction. I reckon they've concluded that HD either isn't yet ready or won't act well enough on the track and they don't want to leave the Irish Derby behind here; that BB is their only hope in the race and the rest of their middle-distance 3yos just aren't any good.

Rather than close the race down, I think it throws it wide open and I'm going to have to have another look at some of the lesser lights for a bit of value. As I said before, I do have some big prices about a few but no harm in seeing what other value might be out there.

I haven't lost all hope in the Dubai Fountain (33/1)-Gear Up (40/1) double, certainly not for the place portion.

A new day, more time to reflect.

I'm coming round to the idea that they've done all the homework, etc, and decided that Epsom is just too risky for High Definition.

The fact that they're leaving only BB in the race will lead many punters to the conclusion that 'the Lads' must think this is a good thing.

They may well be right but the contrary bastert in me is dragging me off in the opposite direction. I reckon they've concluded that HD either isn't yet ready or won't act well enough on the track and they don't want to leave the Irish Derby behind here; that BB is their only hope in the race and the rest of their middle-distance 3yos just aren't any good.

Rather than close the race down, I think it throws it wide open and I'm going to have to have another look at some of the lesser lights for a bit of value. As I said before, I do have some big prices about a few but no harm in seeing what other value might be out there.

I haven't lost all hope in the Dubai Fountain (33/1)-Gear Up (40/1) double, certainly not for the place portion.

Sometimes it's just best to let a race go. They fancy Bolshoi Ballet massively and they are all in on making him the go to son of Galileo. There is a lot more at play here than winning a Derby, they are trying to keep a stranglehold on the breeding world.

Sometimes it's just best to let a race go. They fancy Bolshoi Ballet massively and they are all in on making him the go to son of Galileo. There is a lot more at play here than winning a Derby, they are trying to keep a stranglehold on the breeding world.

Absolutely spot on.

That's what the brother thinks too.

I wonder how much the “wrong” horses winning for Coolmore recently has impacted on this decision to just run BB? Let’s face it, it’s a stallion making operation and when the wrong horse wins, it doesn’t figure well. Serpentine last year, Wings of Eagles, Ruler of the World, Anthony Van Dyck....none of them screamed money making stallion after their victory. So perhaps they have decided that BB is the one and they would rather get beat than compromise him with one of their others?
I do think Sir Mark is right too. I don’t like the multiple entries by one yard. Too much dominance doesn’t make it interesting.

I wonder how much the “wrong” horses winning for Coolmore recently has impacted on this decision to just run BB? Let’s face it, it’s a stallion making operation and when the wrong horse wins, it doesn’t figure well. Serpentine last year, Wings of Eagles, Ruler of the World, Anthony Van Dyck....none of them screamed money making stallion after their victory. So perhaps they have decided that BB is the one and they would rather get beat than compromise him with one of their others?
I do think Sir Mark is right too. I don’t like the multiple entries by one yard. Too much dominance doesn’t make it interesting.

Nail on head. Last year was the straw that broke the camel's back. They did their best in the media to spin that it was an epic performance, it wasn't it was a bag of shite Galileo that got a joke of a soft lead.

Last edited:
Racing needs another good news story to counter the Baffert episode.
While Coolmore no more than Godolphin take criticism easily they realise that there is no future for them by giving racing any more negative publicity.
Anyone who watched the Racing TV Epsom Derby special last night got a taste of the awe in which this race was held.
Durdans Stables , where four Derby winners are buried is a case in point.
Pity David Yates did not tell the tale of The Fourth Earl Of Roseberry, the gypsy flower seller/fortune teller and her Blue Gown.

Racing needs another good news story to counter the Baffert episode.
While Coolmore no more than Godolphin take criticism easily they realise that there is no future for them by giving racing any more negative publicity.
Anyone who watched the Racing TV Epsom Derby special last night got a taste of the awe in which this race was held.
Durdans Stables , where four Derby winners are buried is a case in point.
Pity David Yates did not tell the tale of The Fourth Earl Of Roseberry, the gypsy flower seller/fortune teller and her Blue Gown.

I would say this is the most interesting Derby since Sea The Stars.

Interestingly Fran Berry has put up High Definition for the St Leger. I didn't see that coming...

The potential for a superstar is a lot higher than it's been for years.

I would love to see a superstar emerge but if the best we can do by the beginning of June is 118/119 I can't see it happening.

Sea The Stars was already rated 121 (RPR 124) going into his Derby. He beat Fame And Glory (OR122) with five opponents all rated higher than 110 well behind as well as one rated 120. Fame And Glory himself had arguably been a more impressive winner (4/7f) of the Derrinstown than Bolshoi Ballet yet still went off at 9/4.

The fact that BB won that race so well yet is around even money tells me the opposition probably isn't up to much.

I'm still not convinced BB will even win the race.

IMO, Mohaafeth has the look of a Derby winner in waiting. Given the Lingfield experience early, trained by one who knows how to train them, quickens, and absolutely blew home lto.
. 7/1 will do me.
Re the fav: the lack of others to boss the pace suggest they're supremely confident in the horse's ability, so a f/c saver looks in order.

Foggy overnight with little enough drying I imagine looking at forecast.
Fresh ground on the inner .
Hurricane Lane has no ground worries and while not the sexiest profile he is unbeaten and improving.
Huge for Normandie Stud to have two runners , albeit Frankels from a herd of twenty mares.
Stuff dreams are made of.
Catch This Racing Life at 9.30 Racing TV , sure to be more educational than THE MORNING LINE.

Back