The Derby

Admiralofthefleet (USA)
Archipenko (USA) (APO'Brien)
Chinese Whisper (APO'Brien)
Hernando Cortes (GB) (APO'Brien) ..........
Macarthur (GB) (APO'Brien) - . ..................
Mahler (GB) (APO'Brien) - . ........................
Mores Wells (GB) (KPrendergast) - . (110)
Soldier Of Fortune (APO'Brien) - ..... (111)
Westlake (GB) (DKWeld) - .........................
Yellowstone (APO'Brien) - ................

On form, it's surprising that Soldier of Fortune is still 25s (twice the price of mcarthur and bigger than Mahler) ... can only guess he's not too high in the ballydoyle pecking order

Someone must be listening to you Backhander...shortening up for the Derby with a few bookmakers and on the exchanges.

Originally posted by Galileo@May 5 2007, 08:43 PM
Wonderful input to the thread Brian....

Then how about this? I am now convinced that Aidan O'Brien will win the Derby. But I haven't the faintest idea with which one. Mark Winstanley thinks that he knows it's Macarthur but then some old mates of his call him Mark Wins Rarely.

Please give me some clues.

That rules out Macarthur imo. I was impressed with Admiralofthefleet, looks like he`ll improve for the step up to 12f as well despite his pedigree.

I am now convinced that Aidan O'Brien will win the Derby. But I haven't the faintest idea with which one.

I suspect Mr O'Brien himself is still trying to figure that out.

Who's he sending to the Dante?

MacArthur appears to be carrying the Mordin curse too. He won't return!!! I tend to increasingly agree that the winner's coming from Ballydoyle, and where Horatio Nelson failed under tragic circumstances, the Admiral of the Fleet might take revenge. It remains to be seen if the French have got anything.

On the Winstanley issue, I'm actually amazed this fella can continue to hold down a job as a pundit, yet alone write the page 2 feature of the Weekender, every week. If I were the editor I'd be hiding his contribution on page 27 somewhere. Still, a 'negative predictor' in business has their value, and their must be system in him for Mordin to write about about somewhere.

The only thing I'll say in 'the couchs' defence and his pencahant for short prices (as in the weekenders way) you only need to look at the page where they highlight "winners last week" which si usually a litany of 5/2, 7/4 and even money shots spread across all of their correspondents, is that he at least had the humility to apologise for sticking readers away regarding Hide The Evidence. For me it served further to under-line the danger of drunken inside info, but I'm sure other journos would not have had the good grace to resurrect it yet alone apologise.

No idea about his best Derby horse but sure know that O'Brien has the Oaks winner. There's a reason that Bolger didn't enter Finsceal Beo in the race :)

For me Archipenko is the most interesting and exciting three year old in Ballydoyle this year. It will be interesting if the two (Macarthur & Archipenko) line up on Sunday.

Surprising that Archipenko is not more prominent in the betting for the Derby.

On paper that six length beating he gave to Honoured Guest last year is looking good right now.

Soldier Of Fortune for me didn't post much of a great time on the clock and somewhat fell short of the standard on his Chester Vase running. However Admiralofthefleet impressed me today, and although he'd slightly behind Eagle Mountain on my figures, he's got the scope, balance and stays the distance, whereas it's not certain Eagle Mountain will stay 12f.

Other way around for me Jamie, I have SoF's performance being much better on the clock. According to the RP analysis, Kinane seemed to think immediately after the race that SoF was the more impressive of the two.

Back