The Derby

If Ballydoyle are to win the Derby it will be with the Derrinstown Derby horses or their Guineas runners (if they manage to get the trip). The likes of Soldier Of Fortune and Admiralofthefleet are good,solid Group2/3 horses nothing more or nothing less.

Originally posted by Galileo@May 11 2007, 08:21 PM
If Ballydoyle are to win the Derby it will be with the Derrinstown Derby horses or their Guineas runners (if they manage to get the trip). The likes of Soldier Of Fortune and Admiralofthefleet are good,solid Group2/3 horses nothing more or nothing less.
I disagree about SOF and AOTF. They both have rock-solid racecourse form and fast times in the book. We know SOF stays the trip and AOTF runs as if he will. They're both potential Group 1 horses for me. I don't think Eagle Mountain will stay and whatever the others are doing at home they've still to prove it in public.

I liked AOTF yesterday, i know he only beat handicapper/listed type animals but he did it nicely and for me will be better over further. Not sure he`s Group 1 but i would think he`ll prove better than SoF who looked tres ordinary in the Vase.

From the Racingpost regarding tomorrows big race in Leopardstown:

Aidan O'Brien, trainer of Archipenko, Hernando Cortes, Macarthur and Yellowstone
"Macarthur hasn't done a lot since he ran third in the Ballysax Stakes. He gave a muscle behind a bit of a twinge and we weren't sure that he would be okay to run here. He seems fine now and we willsee if he has come on for his run or whether the little setback will effect him. Archipenko has taken a while to get fit. He's still not fully fit and, while he's ready to start off, he should come on a good bit for the run. Yellowstone came out of his run in the 2,000 Guineas well and we think the step up in trip will suit him. He should stay further than ten furlongs in future. Hernando Cortes had only the one unplaced run last year and he won't mind making the running if he has to."

Kevin Prendergast, trainer of Mores Wells
"He's absolutely flying and I couldn't be happier with him. He is entitled to improve from his last run and I think he'll show that he has."

Originally posted by sunybay@May 12 2007, 07:14 PM
Mores Well is very interesting in the Derby at 16/1
I backed him on Betfair at rather more than that... Still happy with that bet, happier than my antepost e/w on Strategic Prince.

Those Ballydoyle colts must be galloping some to make up so much of the ground lost before the HRE shock-horror :eek:

Those Ballydoyle colts must be galloping some to make up so much of the ground lost before the HRE shock-horror

I don't understand that.

I thought in today's race that a couple (the Terry Mills horse in particular) took things up much too early, which allowed the Tregoning horse into the race somewhat. Tregoning wasn't exactly enthusiastic about going to Epsom either, although it would be pretty strange if he didn't.

I was referring to the fact that when HRE was bustled off to stud, AOB said he had nothing else even remotely ready for the Classics as he'd been concentrating all his attention on HRE, so he couldn't give any information on his string with any confidence of getting it right.

But they do seem to be catching up fast :D :suspect:

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@May 12 2007, 08:44 PM

I thought in today's race that a couple (the Terry Mills horse in particular) took things up much too early, which allowed the Tregoning horse into the race somewhat.
Just read this quote on the RP website:

<< Terry Mills said Kid Mambo had not been ridden to orders by Dane O'Neill.

“He's a front-runner and by not taking it up he has played right into their hands," he said.

"All this horse does is gallop.”

That might well explain why he was so eager to hit the front as soon as they got into the straight.

Fine run there. Many of them are coming on for their first runs too. Have we just seen the Derby winner?

Back