The Derby

Mikhail Glinka looks very beatable today - all his best form is in testing conditions and he did look a tricky enough ride at times last year. I think Icon Dream is the interesting one - son of Sadler's Wells who won despite plenty of greeness on his only start (in admitidly a weak enough maiden) but is being pitched in here. Stable in decent enough form, 10/1 is a grand price. At First Sight looks pretty interesting too but chances are he might be in there to force the pace.

I liked the look of At First Sight as well but he'll prob just be a pacemaker which is a shame. O'Brien had a horse we bred a few years back and we thought this might be interesting used as a pacemaker which was an awful let down

Last edited:
Hard to get too excited about any of those which is kind of the impression given before the race. Mikhail Glinka looks a rogue.

I see in the Aidan O'Brien stable tour in the Racing Post that they still regard Mikael Glinka as their likely represenative in the Derrinstown. Cape Blanco is expected to go to the Dante, with Chester mentioned for Midas Touch.

Both Flying Cross and Joshua Tree have had setbacks and won't be running for some time.

Every year Stoute has a once raced maiden winner in both the 1000 & 2000 guineas and pretty much every year (At least since i've been watching racing) they either get withdrawn after a gamble or they get well stuffed. Stoute seems to take his time with his horses a lot more than other trainers.

Who was his last guineas winner? Russian Rhythm?

Gal, any opinions retrospectively about that maiden that Snow Blizzard won at Leop ?

He is probably a nice enough horse - but I think the Oxx and O'Brien first string will prove to be the best of that lot. Like I said - Snow Blizzard was ridden in the race as though he was a lead horse at home and that puts me off him going on to much better (relatively speaking) things.

Chabal wins nicely enough there - good start for Godolphin.

Yes, I wonder how straight he was, not even quoted on Betfair for the Derby although he has an entry, looked the type that might be in contention for a place there if he raced the same way. O'Donoghue wasn't easy on him but he stuck it out well.

C4 doing their best to talk up Chabal, a nice performance but not as good as they where making out. the bookies didn't so much as sit up and take notice as lean slowly over with their feet up on the desk and press two, zero, enter.

Yeah, nice performance. Got better the further they went. Looks like going to the Dante next.

I was reasonably impressed with chabal, and think his price more than fair. One for the portfolio if that's how you approach antepost betting.

Chester Vase -

Bold Quest
Captain James Cook
Chink Of Light
Critical Moment
Desert Myth
Don Carlos
Icon Dream
Layali Al Andalus
Midas Touch
Morana
Rocket Man
Ted Spread
Tominator
Zeitoper

Wasn't Captain James Cook a talking horse at the end of last year? I seem to remember you posing something about him Gal?

Wasn't Captain James Cook a talking horse at the end of last year? I seem to remember you posing something about him Gal?

There was good word for him before his debut at Tipperary. He went off a shade of odds on but ran poorly. If I recall, it may have been reported at the time that he was lame after the race. He reappeared at Dundalk at a rather generous 3-1 in what looked a 2 horse race against a well touted Oxx horse, Behtarini. The Oxx nag looked to be galloping all over him early in the straight but the Captain stayed on and Behtarini found little. I thought the Oxx horse would be half decent this year and the trainer had given it favourable mention (2nd to Chabal and Jan Vermeer last season) but it has been a major disappointment, beaten three times at short odds. Maybe the Captain is half decent and he did show a nice attitude at Dundalk but I'd like another look in stronger company.

Dee Stakes -

Azmeel
Dancing David
Desert Myth
Encompassing
Icon Dream
Midas Touch
Morana
Party Doctor
Prompter
Rasmy
Tamaathul

Considering he was 7/4 before and did nowt wrong, I reckon 4/1 is pretty generous.

Would Authorized or Motivator have won their Guineas if they'd run in them? No.

Has AOB previous in some of his best animal's needing their first run? Yes.

I don't see how today's run should effect his price at all.

Back