The Derby

Probably, but I'd have thought that St Nicholas Abbey would have been more likely to achieve it than Jan Vermeer, as I thought that Jan Vermeer looked like a stayer in the making last season. At the start of the season I'd thought that Cape Blanco might have been the one to go for the Poule des Poulains and the Prix du Jockey Club.

Lingfield Derby Trial -

Ameer
Azmeel
Bullet Train
Captain James Cook
Critical Moment
Desert Myth
Don Carlos
Dubawi Phantom
Gumnd
Hot Prospect
Icon Dream
Layali Al Andalus
Morana
Rasmy
Ted Spread
Togiak

Lads go the shortest price about Cape Blanco for the Derby at 12-1, entered for the Dante, but OB does not usually use that trial for his best Derby prospect.

Lads go the shortest price about Cape Blanco for the Derby at 12-1, entered for the Dante, but OB does not usually use that trial for his best Derby prospect.

I would not worry about his Dante record....he sent Septimus there when it looked like he could be his Derby No 1. Anyway Fame And Glory won the Group 1 in France that everyone used to write off as a non-event.

Interesting that they are re-routing Midas Touch to the Derrinstown Derby - remember Murtagh was riding him in France in preference to Jan Vermeer when both were last seen. I think Midas Touch and Cape Blanco are the interesting ones in the yard outside of St Nicholas and Jan Vermeer (who I think will end up in the French races).

I would not worry about his Dante record....he sent Septimus there when it looked like he could be his Derby No 1. Anyway Fame And Glory won the Group 1 in France that everyone used to write off as a non-event.

Interesting that they are re-routing Midas Touch to the Derrinstown Derby - remember Murtagh was riding him in France in preference to Jan Vermeer when both were last seen. I think Midas Touch and Cape Blanco are the interesting ones in the yard outside of St Nicholas and Jan Vermeer (who I think will end up in the French races).

Apparently Midas Touch is only going to the Derrinstown because Mikhail Glinka misses the race due to a bruised foot. Midas Touch was originally going to run in the Dee Stakes.

Presumably Cape Blanco goes for the Dante.

Dante Stakes -

Audacity of Hope 3.c
Azmeel 3.c
Cape Blanco (IRE) 3.c
Chabal (IRE) 3.c
Circumvent 3.g
Coordinated Cut (IRE) 3.c
Dancing David (IRE) 3.c
Emirates Dream (USA) 3.c
Fair Trade 3.c
Layali Al Andalus 3.c
Rashaad (USA) 3.c
Viscount Nelson (USA) 3.c
Workforce 3.c

Chabal by far the best bet for the Derby, and I think Azmeel will give the Sandown form a boost today.

I think this years Derby could be run at a good clip and be a real test of stamina. Due to Ted Spread ( Tomkins horse ) followed a similar pattern to his runner Bobs Return went out and made it a real test, also won the Zetland ( 1m 2f ) at 2, Ted Spread 3rd in last years Zetland, after yesterdays Chester Vase win they know he needs a strong pace and a test of stamina, they wont hang about.

Really? Did it well enough at Sandown but nothing more - not cast iron stamina either.

I think he should stay the Derby trip well enough, despite having Zafonic as his damsire. I'd be disappointed if he's good enough to win however on what he's shown so far. Perhaps Hamm detects a lot more to come?

I think he ran very well at Sandown, and he and Azmeel were well clear, and he ran wide but never seemed in trouble, and looked like a step up may even bring about more improvement. His run in the National Stakes was highly promising, and I take the view his Dewhurst run is best forgotten, too bad to be true. Added to this, Godolphin are hardly noted for having winners in April so you would imagine there's more to come in that sense too.

St Nick just doesn't look good enough - whether that's because he hasn't trained on, or grown, I don't know - I didn't hear any excuses about the slow time from O'Brien when he won the Racing Post so I disregard his comments now. I accept the Guineas can often pinpoint an ideal type for the Derby, even if such a type is unplaced, but the run of SNA didn't seem to be that to me. I quickly disregard 2yo form to an extent when a horse has run at 3, and I believe SNA is simply a dreadful price, even at 4s. I'm not saying he hasn't a chance, but I wouldn't be surprised if a stablemate of his or 2 improved past him. Also, O'Brien hasn't won the Derby with roughly his last 40 horses!

Nothing else stands out at this point in time for me.

Back