The Derby

Loved Cracksman on debut and he did well to win last time out. Will be interesting to see how this plays out being a big field.
Eminent will clearly be better stepping up from a mile.

Olivia Fallow in The Dash for me. She will finish fast, and there's good market support for her.

Last edited:
Maxbet so unlucky with Dark Shot. That's a horse to follow!!!

Last edited:
The Derby has a sponsorship arrangement with Poundland?? :blink:

I've no more questions for this witness.

Won just like his sire, Pour Moi - came from nowhere and mugged the likely winner. Strong early pace helped him.

And when was the last time the first and second had the same middle name? :p

Official result:

1. Woof
2. Woof
3. Woof

As a wiser man than I wrote this morning - a glorified handicap. Coolmore NH barn for that one next year.

Given the second was sweating badly beforehand, I'd fancy him to turn the form around. I also reckon Cliffs Of Moher is an honest price for The Arc. He might be better in a bog? :)

Last edited:
And when was the last time the first and second had the same middle name? :p

Official result:

1. Woof
2. Woof
3. Woof

I don't think that the runner up got home looks like he folded in the last half furlong so Cracksman nearly got back up for second .

Did Benbatl deliberately miss the start ? I backed the thing 33-1 ew .

Wings of Eagles outstayed them

Given the second was sweating badly beforehand, I'd fancy him to turn the form around. I also reckon Cliffs Of Moher is an honest price for The Arc. He might be better in a bog? :)

Better in the Eclipse I reckon

Why does Moore tend to get so far back on these AOB horses in the Derby ? He did it last year as well is it because they go too fast up front or because they are inexperienced . Frankie was in the perfect position .

Saw the winner win at Killarney last year and his non trier second in Chester Vase.
Ground very quick at Killarney and that must be what he wants.
Pour Moi moved to cover NH mares this year on the death of Fame And Glory; they may have a rethink on that one.
Churchill the 100 million dollar horse if they can win Irish Champion with him but do not be surprised if P Beggy has no ride that day !!!!

I just think it was unusual for Cliffs Of Moher to hit the front then flatten out. He's not an overly big horse, I think he'll improve for the run, we haven't seen the best of him, and I'd like to see him on softer ground later in the season. Like Edgt just said the winner loved the ground, and quickened up better than the others on it.

Last edited:
Why does Moore tend to get so far back on these AOB horses in the Derby ? He did it last year as well is it because they go too fast up front or because they are inexperienced . Frankie was in the perfect position .

I reckon they went too fast; look at where both winner, runner up and Benbatl came from.
Frankie's horse under the pump a long way out and will improve for the run; he may have done better getting more of a chance to find his feet ?

On my figures, Oath's is the worst Derby in the 35 years I've been doing ratings.

This one might run it close.

They let the first two go though . Willoughby is right about sectionals in particular would be interesting to compare them with Oaks and Coronation Cup .

I reckon they went too fast; look at where both winner, runner up and Benbatl came from.
Frankie's horse under the pump a long way out and will improve for the run; he may have done better getting more of a chance to find his feet ?

Yup. Cracksman has run a blinder considering. Ryan gave his a beautiful ride in defeat.

Beggy forgets to get out of the way in the 1000! and then mugs Ryan today.

Last edited:
"Young" Padraig Beggy as ITV called him has been around quite a while in fact was a good apprentice back in the day.

Mind you he's only ridden three winners in the last five years from 99 mounts (should he even have been allowed to ride in the Derby :)), which makes the coolness with which he put down his stick going into the final furlong and pushed out his horse very admirable.

The horse had the most stamina of any in the race according to Mr Miller's dosage ratings, which suggests it outstayed the others at the end of a race run at an attritional pace.

Last edited:
Back