The Derby

The Derby is one of the greatest races in the world not a playground for children or apprentices who have ridden 35 times without coming near to success accept for on one occasion when she should have won but threw the race away when she had a rush of blood to her head and took off like a bat out of hell 6 furlongs from home and the inevitable happened

Despite having 68 rides she has won only once and that was 8 years ago. Little wonder as every horse she rides sets of stone last and never get's into the race.

I don't know if John Jenkins who was once a man to be feared just doesn't care anymore or he has gone senile. He won some huge prizes in his time and pulled off more strokes than Martin Pipe (not quite but a lot)

Brown Jack S, Tolworth Hurdle, Summit Hurdle (twice), Stroud Green Hurdle, Steel Plate Hurdle, Mecca Bookmakers Hurdle (twice), Daily Express Triumph Hurdle (twice), Lanzarote Hurdle, Schweppes Tote Hurdle, Cesarewitch, Chester Cup, Doncaster Mile, Duke of Edinburgh Stakes Royal Ascot

Why he persists with a jockey who has such limited talent is beyond me. She's had 2 outside rides from 2 yards that have had 1 winner between them in the last year.

If the horse was even half decent and she qualified for the Derby ride while a young talent like e.g Jason Hart or even Josephine Gordon sit in the stands then the game has gone to fook.

Trainers like jockeys are supposed to let horses run to the best of their ability not put some jumped up would be Lesley Pigott on board.

Cheers Colin.

The hard working champ elect De Soussa will need some kind of magic today to peg back Ryan Moore and De Bruyne Horse today.

His recent win at Ripon when De Soussa was somewhat amazing considering he was being bustle along from the off and must have went pretty high in running.

Moore had ridden the horse when he was beaten by 8 1/2 lengths by Way of Wisdom at Newmarket and no way looking at that would you have expected The B Horse to reverse placing despite getting 6lbs.

He did just that and in some fashion. 1/1/2 out when Way of Wisdom came alongside it looked for all the world he would go past him in a stride or two when suddenly the horse somehow got the message and took off like a real powerhouse and de Soussa could hardly pull him up.... after the line he was still pulling wanting to race.

Why he is odds against beats the hell out of me.

Doesn't look the easiest of rides and you wouldn't want Moore showboating on him but it'll take some horse to peg him back.

As for Moore he makes no secret of the fact he rates Rhododendron as high if not higher than Winter and that is some compliment...She looks impossible to oppose today.

There's no fences and Gina isn't ridng so falling or being brought down look unlikely.lol

Rhododendron and The Bruyne Horse looks a sure fire double at just under 4/1 for the 3 times champ....get yer Derby money here :0)

Last edited:
I've just posted on the other thread Fist that I'd be worried how De Bruyne Horse will handle the tough 6f track here and I've backed Cardsharp to turn him over.

I really like Rhododendron but thought she looked a bit tall and leggy at Newmarket? So likewise wonder if she will totally handle track. Of course she may be head and shoulders above the others so it won't matter.

Think Rhododendron's easily the most likely winner but I'm not too keen to take odds on about a horse stepping up half a mile (despite visually looking like she'll manage it) in a race like the Oaks so have backed Coronet each way at 12s mainly on the basis that even a second or third finish will yield more profit than a win bet on the fav.

The race has a lovely betting shape to it.

Last edited:
I've just posted on the other thread Fist that I'd be worried how De Bruyne Horse will handle the tough 6f track here and I've backed Cardsharp to turn him over.

Fortunaly for my dumb ass I never gave the track and how at ill at ease his type could be there...all ended well nontheless....def one clssy animal with a huge future and my balls remain intact

Bet365 1/4 odds 1-4. I'd imagine all books will be 1/5 1-4 minimum. It's an awful race to be betting e/w standard terms. 1/4 4 places might not even be enough of an edge.

Think Rhododendron's easily the most likely winner but I'm not too keen to take odds on about a horse stepping up half a mile (despite visually looking like she'll manage it) in a race like the Oaks so have backed Coronet each way at 12s mainly on the basis that even a second or third finish will yield more profit than a win bet on the fav.

The race has a lovely betting shape to it.

Sobetsu e/w for me all prices 10/1 to 13/2 e/w.

Tactics will be interesting tomorrow. Was stunned at the pace set today against the winner in the Oaks.

Last edited:
With cut in the ground, I might go left-field with Dubai Thunder in The Derby. He won on soft at Newbury, has never been tested on better going. I'm not too keen on the favourites, so I'll take a chance.

Czabo in the earlier race does need give in the ground, so I'd be surprised if they run her on good ground.
I'm hoping there's rain. She would seem a good each way bet if there was.

Last edited:
For me I feel the winner comes from the first 3 in the betting (unless there is a Lammtarra sitting in the pack in Dubai Thunder!) - there are "Buts" however!

Cliffs of Moher I liked at Chester in the way he galloped and handled the track and he is said to have come on a lot from the run BUT we always hear that from Coolmore and his name doesn't quite trip off the tongue as a Derby winner!

Cracksman has won on the track and does look progressive (whatever Johnston says I think he will frank the form) BUT not hugely positive vibes from either trainer or jockey.

Eminent is a really lovely looking horse and physically the most impressive to look at possibly being looked after when unable to make an impact in the Guineas, Crowley is confident too BUT his physique could also be a negative if he gets unbalanced.

Dubai Thunder - could be anything and pedigree suggests quality BUT when Fallon was interviewed he thought the race would come too soon for him (and he worked alongside the others and definitely looked to be going not as well)

Last edited:
Rotflmao!!!!! good enough for the idiots

Red White or Blue?

I've gone for the Red Cap same as Marble..can't have the favs at all form looks weak and Dubai Thunder could be anything......loved the way he looked to be coming to the end of his tether at Newbury then took off like aright horse

18/1 not to be sniffed at and 7/4+ to be in the first 6 available will do for me

Last edited:
I have been backing Cracksman throughout the winter whenever I have had a decent day, I think he will prove a lot better than this field today, a very confident shout for this horse.

Back