The Dewhurst

Frankel has been installed as 8-11 favourite by Coral for the Dubai Dewhurst Stakes at Newmarket.
Henry Cecil's colt was a brilliant winner of the Royal Lodge Stakes at Ascot but could face his acid test at Headquarters.
His potential opponents include wide-margin Middle Park winner Dream Ahead (5-2) and Champagne Stakes winner Saamidd (5-1).
"We've seen some terrific performances from several two-year-old colts already this season, and if the market principals all turn up for the Dewhurst, it should be a mouthwatering showdown, with the winner certain to head into winter quarters as hot favourite for the 2,000 Guineas," said Coral's David Stevens.
"However, it is a measure of how highly we rate Frankel that Henry Cecil's charge is odds-on for the race, even though he could face fellow unbeaten Group winners such as Dream Ahead and Saamidd," added Stevens.
Dubai Dewhurst Stakes - Coral bet; 8-11 Frankel, 5-2 Dream Ahead, 5-1 Saamidd, 14-1 Dunboyne Express, Native Khan, 20-1 Seville, Titus Mills, 33-1 Roderic O'Connor, Strong Suit, 40-1 Elzaam, Glor Na Mara.

Those left in the Dewhurst...

Dream Ahead
Dunboyne Express (IRE)
El Muqbil (IRE)
Elzaam (AUS)
Factum (USA)
Frankel
Glor Na Mara (IRE)
Happy Today (USA)
King Torus (IRE)
Longhunter
Mantoba
Master of Hounds (USA)
Native Khan (FR)
No Heretic
Oracle (IRE)
Roderic O'Connor (IRE)
Samuel Morse (IRE)
Seville (GER)
Shropshire (IRE)
Slim Shadey
Strong Suit (USA)
Titus Mills (IRE)
Utley (USA)
Waiter's Dream
Zaidan (USA)

If there is much ease in the ground then surely Frankel will not go off odds on against the Middle Park winner?

Saamidd a great each way price at 5s.

I would be laying Frankel all day at 8/11. I would go mad if the ground was softer than good.

Agree - Dream Ahead should be favourite, then Frankel, then Saamidd (should be 3s or 7/2).

Last edited:
I would not have Dream Ahead favourite over 7 furlongs for the first time and the possibility of a faster surface than he has been racing on to date. In terms of antepost, I think Frankel is probably the "safest" favourite but not an odds on one.

Anyone else think Dunboyne could be a bit of value at 14s each way? Very unexposed, and a threat if no problem with his injury.

Samuel Morse is 20/1....:lol:

The unbeaten Dunboyne Express will have his next start in either the Dewhurst Stakes at Newmarket or the Racing Post Trophy at Doncaster.
Trainer Kevin Prendergast, who recently brought up his 2,000th career victory, is prepared to send him over from his Curragh base for one of the end-of-season Group Ones.

After winning a Leopardstown maiden on his debut the son of Shamardal slammed the useful Samuel Morse by eight lengths in the Anglesey Stakes.

He has suffered a minor setback which has kept him off the track since but the youngster is back in full training now.

'He will either run in the Dewhurst (October 16) or the Racing Post Trophy (October 23) at Doncaster next,' said Prendergast.
'He had a bit of a setback since his last run, had an an infection in his leg but he's coming along nicely now.

'Hopefully, in the next fortnight, he will start to turn the corner and we can run him in one of those.'

Last edited:
It must be an incredibly strong Dewhurst to have a horse that thumped Zoffany by 8L at 14/1.

Reminds me of the annual U-11 Sunday sports day 400m race when I feigned a foot injury half way around when I realised the other boy’s were faster than me.

Last edited:
He is a much better horse than Samuel Morse so I think he did run below form for sure....could easily have been too many races though as much as anything else.

Thought Pathfork could beat him but would never accuse Zoffany of having running anywhere near his best in the National Stakes. He remains to be the best of poor bunch of O'Brien 2yo colts. Have they ever had such a lacklustre bunch?

Back