The Dewhurst

Simon

At the Start
Who'd/who'll win? The Dewhurst could be quite extraordinary if Dream Ahead, Frankel and Saamid go for the race.

Saamidd is not enetered in the Dewhurst. Have they mentioned supplementing him?

Last edited:
100% certain to be supplemented.

Worked at Newmarket before racing yesterday.

Saamidd sets up Frankel clash after course gallop

By Tony Elves 1:06PM 30 SEP 2010
SAAMIDD set up a mouth-watering clash with Frankel in the Group 1 Dubai Dewhurst Stakes at Newmarket on October 16 after the Champagne Stakes winner came through his racecourse gallop on Thursday in decisive fashion.

Saamidd worked over the 7f Dewhurst course under Frankie Dettori with two older companions and stretched clear in the closing stages to the delight of connections.

Simon Crisford, racing manager to owners Godolphin, said: "He's well and will be supplemented for the Dewhurst. It was the Dewhurst or the [Prix Jean-Luc] Lagardere and it's a good idea for Saamidd to run in the Dewhurst."
Asked about the possible clash with ten-length Juddmonte Royal Lodge winner Frankel, Crisford added: "They have to meet some time and it doesn't just have to be next May.
20428.jpg
Frankel: also targeted at Dewhurst
PICTURE: Getty
"The gallop was intended to keep him well and active and Frankie just looked after him in this soft ground."
Saamidd's trainer Saeed Bin Suroor said: "They started at the seven pole and went easy for the first furlong and then stronger over the last six. I'm very happy with him and I'm looking forward to the Dewhurst."
Coral have introduced a match bet between Saamiddand Frankel in the Dewhurst, making Frankel 1-3 and Saamidd 9-4.
Coral spokesman David Stevens said: "Connections of Saamidd are keen to take on Frankel in the Dewhurst and, although the form of his Doncaster win looks solid, we were blown away by Frankel at Ascot. We strongly expect him to have the upper hand in the Dewhurst."

Last edited:
I have a feeling they'll put Dream Ahead away now and swerve the Dewhurst but I really hope not. It'll be great to see all three of them go at it as 2yo's and then again next May and see who's faired best over the winter.

Loved the way he quickened up on the loose ground, leaving a couple of decent horses for dead.

I'll still go for Saamidd. Lovely animal and the long rangy type sure to make a better three year old as well.

I'll still go for Saamidd. Lovely animal and the long rangy type sure to make a better three year old as well.

As will I! Loved his maiden win.

However, he'd need to beat at least 1 of these two in the Dewhurst to be Champion 2 year old based on performances to date.

Yes, but I think he can do it. Like you I was very taken with his maiden win at Newbury, in fact I loved him going to post. One of my colleagues had backed the Dunlop horse Yair Hill [2nd] and so wasn't best impressed either then or after the race!

I was in the Saamidd camp but after the last two weeks i'm defecting!!! He's gonna need to improve to beat these two.

I think i'll go to Champions day now!!

While I admit the thought of a clash this year is enticing, I wouldn't think it do any of them any good to have a really hard race now and could have the end result of bottoming all three, with a completely different result next season. Think I would prefer to see any match between them next year, in a Classic.

Saamidd might indeed make the best 3yo of these, but I wouldn't fancy him to beat either Dream Ahead or Frankel at the moment.

It would have to be Frankel and Dream Ahead for me too at the moment. They both look (physically and on paper) a division ahead of the others right now.

Well from next year there will be no chance of a Dream Ahead even trying the feat - as some complete arse at RFC has decided the Middle Park and Dewhurst should be on the same day.

Well from next year there will be no chance of a Dream Ahead even trying the feat - as some complete arse at RFC has decided the Middle Park and Dewhurst should be on the same day.
And the illustrious list of horses to have done the double will be ended. That list comprising just Diesis in the last 100 years, and he famously ended up winning a virtual match against Gordian in the latter. Not defending RFC, but has anyone genuinely attempted the double in recent years?

Three Valleys in 2003 won the MPS( albeit then disqualified ) and was touched off in the Dewhurst.

As for Diesis that is hardly fair - it was a clash between him and Gorytus " the wonder horse " - who was tailed off allegedly doped

Last edited:
I am surprised that Frankel's form is being rubbished - Slim Shadey was much closer to Wootton Bassett at Doncaster than Frankel at Ascot and Rainbow Springs beaten 13 lengths at Doncaster was third in the Marcel Boussac.

Frankel also did a much quicker time than Saamidd at Donny.

Frankel deserves to be a short priced favourite - perhaps Saamidd will improve past him but he needs to do plenty of improving.

Nice to see Ascot is soft ,heavy in places - what price new Champions Day being rained off and hurriedly transferred back to Newmarket next year !!!

The Dewhurst really is turning out to be an exciting renewal. Ed Dunlop's Prix Du Jockey Club hopeful is running now, Native Khan.

Back