The Eclipse challengers

Tanlic

Senior Jockey
Which horses are likely to take on CoT ?
I can't see Passenger turning up as Stoute won't risk him being beaten.
White Birch won't go they go Royal Ascot.

There is nothing else and you can still have 10/11 with Coral....that is too good to be true..what gives?

After White Birch beat Auguste Rodin I bet White Birch for today's race at 8/1 and for the Eclipse at 20/1.

This was before City Of Troy was announced an intended runner in this.

Having missed today, I hope White Birch goes to Sandown Park, where I think he would be The Derby winner's greatest danger.

Passenger has had a Stoute further setback...Imagine that ;) .......he will miss the Eclipse,so predictable

Last edited:
Lucky you Marb. Horse owes me nothing now after backing him for this and the Derby at top odds.

He could flop again although it's unlikely so I am not taking the chance........a bird in the hand as they say

He's 1.55 on the machine but I suspect he'll go off around 1.35-1.4 so I will wait before laying him off

Cheers Tan.

If any forumites are going and fancy saying hello let me know.

Despite my best efforts to drag one or two mates from London no one could make it, so I unashamedly will be going on my own with one ticket purchased.

Looking forward to it.

Some folks travel the world, I book a holiday to London and take in Sandown on my Jack Jones.

White Birch has an entry on the £200,00 French race over 1m4f.

2nd in the Eclipse is worth around £160,000 but winning the Eclipse is over £400,000

now Passenger is out he would finish 2nd at worse which may tempt then to run.

Emily Uppjohn ran 2nd last year is another possible runner with a bit of a chance if in good form

I'm the first guy to say don't show them a birds nest when going fot a touch...they don't pay the bills and don't have the right to know. However when it comes to Group 1 important races for zillions trainers should be open and honest with the public. We have the Eclipse in 6 days and so far not a peep out of Murphy with regards to White Birch...If he intends to go to France with med certificates travel docs etc having to be in place then the decision has already been made and the wheels are in motion...if not and the preference is for the Eclipse manners cost nothing and a few words saying so wouldn't go amiss...or how he is doing physically...it would be much fairer to Sandown intended racegoers to be told what to expect...Of course Sandown would rather keep the public guessing as many might not go if it turns out to be a walkover.

Doubt white birch will be at Sandown if ground good to firm. Could be a poor field. Ambiente friendly over 10f would have been a good rival for cot. Not enough top horses to fill these group ones. Not a good look.

At long last....blood test and then a breeze up and a decision on Wednesday. personally if he runs I will lay off COT or let him run if White Birch doesn't. White Birch really impressed last time I am not about to back against him now the odds are in my favour

At long last....blood test and then a breeze up and a decision on Wednesday. personally if he runs I will lay off COT or let him run if White Birch doesn't. White Birch really impressed last time I am not about to back against him now the odds are in my favour
Couldn't have White Birch on my mind for this - overrated (imo) for beating an Auguste Rodin that was out for a warm-up.

He just went 70 on the machine....better he go for a lesser Group 1 than lose...stud value rules

Cot 1/3 net on exchange. You would have to be totally naive to believe them about the blood test. They delayed the decision in the hope something might happen to City of Troy and you can take that to the bank. last time against Rodin they said it was minor but weeks later they couldn't tell if it had improved or sort out the problem with today's medicines...a load of rubbish imo

Last edited:
White birch was never running on good to firm. He beat an under par a rodin and IMHO has no chance v cot. Such a disappointing field for one of my fav races. Hopefully Luxembourg runs otherwise a very poor running. A rodin heading to King George so I doubt Luxembourg will go there. The lads don't want him turning over the stallion prospect.

Had over 8/1 White Birch for the PoW - NR.

Had 20/1 White Birch for the Eclipse - NR.

FML x 2.

To those about to type he would have won neither - you're almost right, he would have won BOTH, you're just a word out.

And then he'd have taken a detour to have a dump on your car in the car park both times on his way back to the winner's enclosure.

Onwards and upwards!

White birch was never running on good to firm.

Were they maybe a bit hasty in taking out WB?

It looks there could be rain pretty much all day tomorrow and into the early hours of Friday. On top of watered ground, it could welll soften up quite a bit.

I've finally managed to look at the 'race'. I've used inverted commas because take the fav out and it must be the shitest Eclipse of my lifetime.

Being an impressive winner of a good Derby would at the best of times guarantee nothing dropping back in trip on a course that's very unlike Epsom so being an impressive winner of a shite Derby guarantees even less.

But this really is a shite field.

I can almost guarantee, though, that with the current dead eight 48 hours out the bookies will pay connections of one of the rags enough to make them takes theirs out and kill the EW market.

So I'll hang off and hope I'm wrong about that and maybe rootle about for a bit of EW thievery on the day.

Back